1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD II windowed mode lag

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Grozug, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Grozug Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ugh, please forgive me. I accidentally posted this in the wrong sub-forum after browsing. Not off to a good start here. >.<

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So, uh, did you edit out the question? We could have just moved the thread... that's really no big deal.

3. Grozug Gems: 1/31

Yes, I did edit it out. I figured the thread would be deleted. But what I had asked was approximately the following (wish I saved it in notepad, now that I think of it.)

'Hello! I found this little forum while hopelessly Googling and it seemed the most competent and familiar with the game to post the problem I have been having.

I have recently attempted to play IWD2, on a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I have settled most of the issues that have cropped up for me except for one, and that is lag in Windowed Mode.

For various reasons I need to be able to play a game in windowed mode with an untethered mouse, and while I can get IWD2 to do this, I can't get it to do it well. When my mouse cursor is off of the windowed game screen, say, on my desktop in the background, everything runs very smoothly at around 50-60 FPS. But as soon as I scroll over the game's window to, you know, play, the FPS plummets to 5-10, spinning globe stutters, everything.

I have attempted to run IWD2 in 16-bit color with all of the various BLT options on and off, and I have attempted to run IWD2 and its config in both compatibility mode (Windows XP) as well as with Admin rights. Neither seems to have worked, and in the latter case I actually lost my saved games for a few hours due to a Temp folder clearing error, for whatever reason.

If the problem has a known solution that is something else or just a combination of the things I've done, I would love to know. IWD2 is sort of my stepping stone into the older D&D PC games, since anything but 3rd Edition is still quite foreign to me. Thank you in advance!'

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds like your graphics card isn't properly assigning the resources to the windowed app... but at the risk of asking the obvious, why do you need to run it in windowed mode?

5. Grozug Gems: 1/31

It's a complicated issue, but I need to be able to switch away from any program I am using to do something else in particular at the drop of a hat. The delay and lag of using Alt+Tab or the Windows key or Ctr+Alt+Del could thus be problematic. It's just my aesthetic preference, as well.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Which graphics card do you use? Nvidia used to have the option to enable a window controller where you could manage settings for individual apps - sounds like something that could help with your situation if you could max out all the resources for that specific window.

7. Grozug Gems: 1/31

My computer uses an Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT, and as I snoop around the Nvidia Control Panel, I see no evidence of a window controller. I have updated my drivers as well, and that seems to have done nothing.

Additionally, I am now working on my game randomly freezing whenever I try to level a character.

(Edit: The latter issue has been fixed.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have never been able to get IceWind Dale II to work in windowed mode so I gave up.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Dang, can't think of anything else right now... hopefully someone else can help.

10. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've had the opposite problem in the past, where the game runs best in windowed mode. Never tracked down the issue, and it's moot on my current computer. I honestly have no clue what could be the cause of your problem. :(

11. sansserif Gems: 1/31

on my UMPC, IWD2 runs horrible in windowed mode 1024*768, and lags to the extent i have to pause my game almost all the time to pick up items or cast spells, (particularly in dungeons) but recently i discovered it doesnt lag running in fullscreen. I had to run in windowed mode coz I was referring to walkthrough at that time. BG2 doesnt lag at all in windowed mode, but I read on another forum that both games are based on different graphics.

And yeah, compatibility mode didnt work for me, either. I had to bear with it till I finished the whole game. Game loading took ages.. I had to leave it on and go to the kitchen, etc. Perhaps deleting some of save games would work for u.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.