1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with installing twice

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Nanadil, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Nanadil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello there I want to install BGII twice. Once so i can do The Darkest Day for fun and once so i can do Throne of Bhaal as the two are incompatiable. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Please let me know.

rob

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

Um, just installed the game in two seperate directories on your hard drive. Install ToB on one, and the TDD on the other. You will of course, need a large amount of hard drive space to do this...

3. Nanadil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

That is not the problem, what i need is the ability to install Shadows of Amn twice, as i am told that to start ToB is to lose all the abilites that you gain in Hell.

4. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think you can't install SoA twice in one operating system, maybe you could get it done by installing two OS first...;)

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

Why not? I've done that with Fallout 2 many times before, usually without even knowing it. Just install in two SEPERATE directories. Obvouisly, if you install to the same place, one will override the other.

I doubt any save games will be compatible between to two. So if you already have SoA with the saved games install ToB on that, and make another copy of the game somewhere else and install TDD on that. I wouldn't try to transfer any files from the ToB version to TDD, do that before installing TDD, but even that may not work.

6. void Guest

I was trying to do that for the same reason but I couldn't make it work in any obvious way...

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You simply can't install two instances of the same game because of "invasive" installer that destroys registry entries from previous installation.

So, when you start installing ToB, it will check the registry entries and install itself in SoA folder placed in registry.

But take my post not 100% accurate in double-installation, since I don't know nor will ever know how does TDD installation work.

Definetly, the only correct way to process the issue efficiently is to have two OS on the same PC that should provide two registries, and that means possibility for both ToB and TDD.

8. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

it *can* be done because a lot of people refer to it on the BIS and Bioware boards all of the time.

i am not quite sure how it works, but i know there are some FAQs about this available if you look in the right place.

also, i know it can be done, because several of my friends have already done it ;)

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Deano, please, I'd like to see it too.

I mean, how to install two instances of SoA on one machine with only one OS installed.
    In fact, I want to see how do you override automatic registry inputs.

Otherwise, I won't believe you a word you're saying.

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] After having installed it once you could just copy the whole folder. I don't know if it would work but it's worth a try.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.