1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Accents

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by reepnorp, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Cripes! How many languagues do you speak?!? Obviously Dutch, but you also speak English, Italian, German, and French? More amazingly, you seem capable of speaking all of them well. I've heard of multi-lingual, but this is another level!

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    "Nevermore"

:p

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

:lol:

4. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I just listened to myself leaving a message on my home phone number and I realized I still have a Wisconsin accent, even though I no longer live in Wisconsin. Strange.

Personally, I like hearing other accents.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nooo! Nonononono! No! I'm not multi-lingual. My English is decent, but my German is near rubbish and my French, not to mention Italian, even more so. I can't translate sentences just in a blink of an eye, but if I know what to say, it sounds rather good (that's what I've been told, at least...). For instance: When I ask people for directions in Italian, I usually don't follow their answer because they talk too fast. And when I explain I'm a foreigner, they say something like: Oh sorry! didn't realize that. I didn't hear an accent.

When speaking a foreign language, I tend to change my voice a little, perhaps adjusting the shape of my mouth/throat etc, copying the melody and emphasizing sounds I find characteristic for their language.
    For some reason, I find it difficult for English. Maybe because it's spoken in so many different ways.

6. Some Guy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Note on the TOEFL

It's the "Test of English as a Foreign Language", which is actually included in your SAT. The very steady reports of amazing scores esp. from the W'n edge of the "Pacific Rim", accompanied by people with horrible actual language skills, made it clear even in the early 1980s that there was a huge problem with the test not being secure even then. (The College Board stopped its more modern, computerized administration of the GRE to a set of countries--including Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.==back on the late 1990s, because of how rampant the cheating was.)

So you might run into ppl with fake language credentials, too.

The worst thing is the technical "writing" by non-speakers; you all know what I mean!

7. FlipperX Gems: 1/31

Since I have only been down deep here in South GA, sometimes I really ;stand out to say the least. I surely don't have that big accent mos of these people have except it is a college town-Valdosta St. Univ. and that helps me to sound quire as weird to them. Honest I have always used southern terms, such as y'sll and so forth, but never tht sound, lol. Honestly, I have that very distinctive Baltimore, MD accent, where they say their O's as oe's haha. Not with a big O just a lil one. Also we do have that habit of calling people 'hun' or sweetheart quite a bit. At least I do. no wonder men get mad at me if I say that to a stranger I see out on one of our many travels. this southern accent talk is wearing on me though, and talking to my mom on phone the other day, she said she noticed, lol.

8. Sujamma Gems: 1/31

How do you call Old Gurke's(the one from Baldur's Gate) accent? Dwarvish? I like that one a lot. Made me laugh. "Me temper's bad enough, without ye bothering me!"

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I think it's a Scottish accent, for some reason dwarves in fantasy are depicted with Scottish accent. It's weird, I mean, why? what does Scotland has to do with dwarves ? It's so arbitrary.

Also ever noticed that in the Dragon Age games elves have Welsh accent, Fereldian British Accent, and Free marcher General American Accent ? It's a nice touch to differentiate people linguistically but, they could've made the effort to make up their own accent.

Sujamma likes this.
  10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I generally have a hard time understanding a lot of spoken language if there's any unfamiliar melody. Let alone the lyrics of songs.

It's hard to say. I had a standard RP-kinda British accent when I was in my late teens but later on two things happened: I lost opportunity to use spoken English much, and I'd been experimenting with my accent, which messed things up a bit. As a result you can tell a foreigner (generic European) and sometimes you can even tell where I'm from (that'd be Poland). Of late, I generally use American pronunciation more and more often, given that I lost naturalcy in the British accent anyway and that I have to switch back and forth when in writing, depending on the target. So I decided that I might as well adapt in speech to some extent. The largest distinguishing factor is that I don't use fall rise, so I'll sound different from most people in a British context even when not sounding different ethnically. That, and a lack of consistency. My accent may sound totally different from one day to the next even if I don't try to mix it up.

Depends. Sometimes I like them crisp and clear, sometimes I like them soft. I don't like the exaggerated ones, ones that pierce your ears or ones you just can't understand.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  11. Gehennis Gems: 1/31

I like English, Irish and Scottish accents best and I thoroughly blame Mel Blanc and Warner Bros for getting me hooked on them...:)

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's a pretty broad range of accents, Gehennis! From Barmy Army's incomprehensible Yorkshire accent to Del Trotter's South London lilt, to The Beatles Liverpool voice, in England alone. And you can't possibly be hooked on the Birmingham accent - that's the worst accent on the planet.

13. Sujamma Gems: 1/31

Have you guys watched Brave(the one with the bears and stuff)? Oh my god. Everyone's accent is just eargasmic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.