1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sure strike weapon

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Vasiliy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Vasiliy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi,

The sure strike arrows and bullet do not work as I expected.

When my PCs fire at enemy with damage reduction 25/+5 or 10/+2 these arrows and bullet do not make any damages.

How sure strike weapon must works?

Thanks

Vasiliy

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bullets and arrows do piercing damage, perhaps you were attacking a creature that also has innate piercing damage reduction?

You are correct that Sure Strike weapons/ammo are supposed to hit as +5 weapons, so they should do full damage against those creatures.

3. Vasiliy Gems: 3/31

Thanks

But bullets have a bludgeoning damage.

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nah slings do piercing damage. Blunt/bludgeoning damage seems to make sense, but I think the damage type is piercing because bullets (sling ammo) are small enough to be considered as "missiles". Moving on to something bigger, a cannonball hit would probably do blunt/bludgeoning damage I guess. Unless the target is a giant.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find Sure Strike weapons to still be pretty paltry when it comes to damage. It just means there won't be any damage reduction for a sure strike weapon, but it won't have any bonuses to attack or damage either.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    True enough, but they are special purpose weapons. They are useful when your [usually dex-based] character would be unable to damage the enemy at all due to it's damage resistance. In that scenario, the sure strike weapon would be the superior choice since anything is better than a zero.

7. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

IIRC, Slings do bonus damage vs. Crystal Golems, so they aren't straight-up piercing damage.

Also note that some monsters (like Madae) are almost or entirely immune to missile damage regardless of whether it is piercing/blunt/slashing. It's as if there are multiple types, piercing-melee, piercing-missile, and piercing-sling.

-Max

8. Vasiliy Gems: 3/31

IMHO something works wrong.

I used sure strike bullets against White Dragon. White Dragon has DR 5/+1 and has not immunity to pierce/bludgeon weapon. But the bullets did not make any damages. It was message "White Dragon is immune to my bludgeoning damages".

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    IWD2 is based on the Infinity Engine adapted to 3E rules. 2E had missile weapons as a distinct type of weapon/damage, and many things had extra bonuses or defenses against them. Look at Dan Simpson's item FAQ for IWD1, BG1, or BG2 and read the description for the small shield for example.

There may be a remanent of that in IWD2 that has the white dragon immmune to missile damage.

10. Vasiliy Gems: 3/31

Thanks

OK, so, can I be sure that these "sure strike" bullets and arrows will be useful in the game, or I can sell them without doubt?

11. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I would sell them. If there are any cases where they would be useful (e.g. to speed up a particular combat by 20%), they are so few and far between that you would probably forget to swap out the ammo anyway.

-Max

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.