1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ye olde obligatory newb question thread

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by olik, Mar 13, 2006.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I wouldn't recommend it.

A dualclassed ranger7/cleric is far more powerful than the multiclassed version in SoA.

-He can cast spells more often and at a higher levels so that they do more damage or last far longer

-He gets the same number of attacks per round, better thac0,more HP and better saving throws.

So the dualclassed version is far superior both as spellcaster and as warrior in a normal SoA game.

You might consider a fighter/cleric multiclass who can reach the extra half attack at level 13 within the XPCap, but I still think the dualclassed versions are superior.

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oh sorry, you are right, dual-class route is much more powerful in vanilla SoA. But MCs are sure better in ToB, thanks to high level abilities... :p

[And this post is in which forum? :hmm: ] -dmc

[ March 17, 2006, 03:24: Message edited by: dmc ]

3. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Monk!!

after a few levels they begin to deal out obscene amounts of damage.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^So you suggest that monks can still be powerful even within the bounds of SoA's XP cap and with the absence of HLAs? I did not know that.

PS:Sorry dmc, posting too much on ToB forums I guess. :coffee:

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

in pure SoA they are extremely powerful. For one their Quivering Palm is like a vorpal blow without a level cap unlike a couple of the HLA's. Though it seems to have some kind of hidden save or percentage chance of working.

In fact the Fighting Arena in the drow city against that big fighter drow. I just dump my monk in if I have one. get up to him. hit the button for Quivering palm and I usually take him out before it wears off.

My monk with 21 strength and his highest dice is capable of like 30 damage a hit on average. And we're talking 5 hits around with weapons that basically had a weapon speed of 0.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Interesting. Much interesting indeed. :)

Quivering Palm allows a save vs death I guess? At what penalty?Is it pretty fearsome?

7. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't know if it's a save or what. I haven't seen a saving throw made. I just know it's not a guaranteed kill. Though with 5 or 10 chances at it before it wears off when you get high enough...

8. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    Well, I have witnessed the power of a single classed cavalier (paladin kit) but that's all. "A little bit of everything makes a better soup", as Gorion used to say. :)

9. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, then go for an evil party

The best fighter Korgan (awesome con and grandmastery, great against undead with Azuredge, Axe of unyeilding makes him too powerful, and the best tank IMO)

The best Cleric Viconia (Covers you romance and all the buffs and cleric based offense youll eve need)

The best Mage Edwin (2 extra Spells per level is too good to refuse, besides I always like him better than Aerie)

And you can play a swashbucler or Berserker/theif or Kensai/Theif or any theif multi class

It is one of tried and tested formula

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have you really just replied to a thread that's 6 years old?

11. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

Thread necromancy gets a bad press but it may be an efficient use of board space.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Look - it's generally fine if the person is addressing an issue (or issues) in the thread, as there are probably others who might enjoy the read and there's no need to start a new thread. It's not OK to revive old threads for comments of a tangential nature or that add absolutely nothing to the thread.

That being said, I do not understand how virtualsri can claim that Korgan can use Azuredge as, IIRC, that's a "good only" weapon and he is evil. I have a different opinion re Viconia as the best cleric, but that's subject to interpretation I suppose.

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Virtualsri does seem to be in the habit of only deeming to reply to something if it's at least 5 years old, though.

That aside, Korgan can't use Azuredge and Axe of the Unyielding is ToB content (and this is the SoA forum). I personally find Anomen to be a better cleric - though he should pass his test first, I suppose. The fighter levels don't keep the cleric levels back much, but add a lot of melee prowess to a cleric.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.