1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #117

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't come to California! Every election makes this place worse. If you like the place, just visit once in a while, don't make your home here :)

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Alaska?

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    MoN - it totally depends on what is important to you. Do you love the beach? Are you looking for a place with a lot of a certain industry (i.e. job availability)? Do you want to be in an area with a lot of people, or out in the middle of nowhere? Do you want mountains, deserts, or some combination of several of these?

The USA pretty much as it all. One of the nice things about living in CA is that I can start my day near the ocean in the sun at 70ish degrees, and in a couple of hours pass through hot deserts and/or end up in snow covered mountains. Personally, I think CA is a great state to live, but many parts are insanely expensive. I also love that I can be in Vegas within a 4 - 5 hour car drive or Yosemite within 7 - 8 hours of driving. Disneyland is 30 minutes away. Universal Studios is ~60 minutes away. Magic Mountain is ~90 minutes away. And I could go on and on. If you have a signficant fear of earthquakes, look elsewhere, though.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That must be convenient for your weekend acting gig. ;)

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, right! :p

We do have annual passes to the Universal Studios "Themepark" so that makes for a fun Saturday activity with the kids every now and again.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah, my lengthy reply has gone missing. And I don't feel like re-typing it all. :heh: So to sum it up very shortly:
    Splunge and dmc made me laugh. :lol: And in a reply to Marceror: I don't have any experience with earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, draught or even floods. I don't know what I need to fear or what to do if these things happen. :o So I better stay away. Also, a 1-hour drive is a long drive for a regular Dutchie. And there might be a minor culture clash.

There probably are lots of things I'd fall in love with in the USA, which might trick me in coming back several times. But I doubt any state would make me feel as much at home as my little country. Some things, for instance, that I'd miss are Bikes, Bread and Brutal honesty (compared to many countries). First 2 are mentioned here. It's small things like these that matter most.

Still, I like figuring out what would be the most fitting state. :)

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I tend to get Iowa and Ohio mixed up, and Arizona and New Mexico. You can play a game of "Remember the US states" here.

I think I would pick Colorado - I could get some out-of-the-way cabin and still live reasonably close to a larger town with all the modern comforts. :shake: And I wouldn't mind a few mountains, coming from a country that is if anything even flatter than the Netherlands.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Just finished the first week of what I like to call my new job -- First week end in a while that means anything ! Weee :rolling: , plus I work Mon-Thur, so three day week ends for the foreseeable future. Life's getting better.

9. Thunderwing Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I heard Colorado legalized MJ -- that is freaking awesome!!!

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    The only tourist attraction we have around here is a gigantic mall and its just filled with the same old crap as any other mall - and a waterpark.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :D Haha! Yeah, if you exclude Greenland, you rank 13th in this extremely tough game. :) We have that hill called Vaalserberg at the tripoint with Germany and Belgium, which is spoiling all the fun of being a flat country half below sea level. :D IIRC, Denmark and Holland have the lowest points in Europe. (Lammefjord and Zuidplaspolder, resp.)

I think I could easily adjust to Denmark. It's flat, watery, bicycle-friendly (esp Kobenhavn) and our mind-set is quite alike, I guess (take freedom of press, for instance)

So did Washington, I think. But legalized pot will only be awesome if it's no longer a big thing/issue and people learn how and where to smoke it. Really, most problems here with MJ are caused by newby tourist who want to have a blast and combine it with other stuff that won't mix well.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  12. Gaear

Media:
    Most importantly it has lots and lots of hot women. ;)

13. Thunderwing Gems: 2/31

IMO, MJ should be enjoyed in the comfort of one's own home, just like booze. Don't bring your vice of choice in public, especially drunks, bloody hell those are annoying.

It is actually pretty good news, and I hope Canada follows suit -- booze is MUCH more harmful, and yet it is legal, while MJ, an awesome recreational drug, is villified and pretty much lumped in together with hard drugs and that garbage. A hard drug it's not -- MJ is the friendliest drug you'll ever come across.

ION, yesterday was SOOOOOOOOO boring. I had to turn back and return to work because I had forgotten to give back the keychain to the poor bastard who does the night shift, and I was almost home when I realized I had the damn keys. Grrrrr!

14. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I hate it when those kind of things happen! Live and learn. I guess I'm for legalization of MJ as well. I agree that it is a more "peaceful" drug than a lot of other stuff out there, including alcohol - however it's not without its problems as well. Although it is not supposed to be physically addictive it certainly has the potential to be psychologically addictive. Also when a person smokes too much of it they can lose track of getting the important things in their life done.

BTW ... I'm not trying to start and Alley discussion here :p , I'm just sayin ....

15. Marceror

Media:
    I guess I'm on odd bird, I actually don't enjoy the effects of MJ. I haven't dabbled with it for many years, but when I have tried it I always felt sort of awkward and paranoid. As I get older I find that I enjoy drinking alchohol less and less, also. In the right circumstances I still enjoy having several drinks, but I can count the number of "right circumstances" that occur in a year on one hand and still have fingers left over. Most of the time I find that I just want my mind to be clear and sober. I find life's experiences simply to be more enjoyable that way. Is that strange to the rest of you? Anyone else feel similarly?

16. Thunderwing Gems: 2/31

Sounds like you're turning into a straightedge, Marceror :lol:

17. Marceror

Media:
    Is that a nice way of calling me a "total bore"? :D

18. Gaear

Media:
    I do. I enjoy a drink once in a while but it's generally for the purpose of relaxing and taking the edge off and, you know, enjoying the drink. And I'm with you on clear and sober; you need to be to see the world how it really is.

Intoxication in whatever form is a hindrance to creativity as well, imo. I know a lot of the fabled hard drug bands of the 70s were believed to be way out there on various substances during their finest moments, but damn, it's hard to even tie your shoes when you're like that, let alone get anything else right. And as 'gay" as it sounds, I think you should find your inspiration from whatever's right or wrong inside you rather than a drug. :)

19. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Ditto. I never liked being drunk. I like being slightly intoxicated, though, and I had some good experiences being high. (Trick is not to fight it, else you get a bit paranoid).

I like the fact that I can enjoy simple things when sober.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Always a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.