1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite class and noobish questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by damedog, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Interestingly, the one time I did that, he still kept complaining because party's reputation was too high for his liking! He should have been happy with a heroic reputation after his alignment change.

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He doesn't become evil anymore, but I don't think Sarevok will ever be good. Too much bad blood, between you and him, I suppose.

3. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

And the noobish questions continue.

This one is about BGTutu. Is grandmastery nerfed there like it is in BG2? If not a dual-wielding Khalid might actually be quite powerful, provided I give him the strength gauntlets.

I installed the BG1 NPC mod into my BG2 game and noticed Kivan is an archer now. Do the called shot bonuses stack? If so that would make him very useful, with the lowering Thac0 and strength scores. Do they get a save to prevent it? And if anyone has played with that mod before, do they interact often and with BG2 characters?

Thank you to everyone who has tolerated my ceaseless questions btw.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    BGTutu is based on the BG2 engine, so I'd expect that grand mastery is nerfed in Tutu as well. This also means that the same grand mastery fix as for BG2 should work in Tutu as well. Or at least, that's what I did, but to be fair, I've never really noticed much difference.

I've played a few archer PCs, but never really used called shot, so I don't really know about that one.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The called shot bonuses stack and as far as I know there's no save against it (it always works on dragons). The THAC0/str penalties have a duration of only a few rounds but the penalties stack from multiple attacks.

6. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I felt this too, I forced myself to play it up to halfway, but boy I'm glad I did that:D

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:

I'd been playing RPGs since the end of the '80s and had played all of the Gold Box games available for the Apple II. I found the mage fight at the FAI to be one of the hardest fights in the game and a bit unfair for new players. You pretty much HAVE to metagame it unless you're lucky enough to have a character that can cast remove/resist fear.
    They should have put such a scroll in Candlekeep as one of the quest rewards so you could have Xar cast it. That change and I wouldn't decry the mage out side the FAI as being unfairly hard.
    I still find the fight a challenge if I take a fighter, paladin, ranger, or thief.

I also agree that second mercenary in Nashkel is hard, but you have plenty of opportunity to level up and have somebody memorize resist fear (or recruit Garrick), which you should do after seeing how bad the first mage crippled you with the horror spell.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 50 seconds later... ----------

Ever since I got internet access in '97, I've made a habit of going to www.gamefaqs.com after I've beating an RPG once or twice, and downloading some FAQs, then using them to see what I've missed.

I generally try to avoid spoilers unless I'm really stuck until I've beaten the game for the first time, but afterwards when the game is losing the replay value, I'll go for them and take a Pokemon approach to secrets and treasures: Gotta find them all.

8. kellie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I cant find a better place to ask so im hoping someone here can help me.

Ive played through the game twice now and im about to start my third play through. One thing that has always bothered me though are the number of important characters in the game who dont have portraits tied to them. I Know that for npcs or for characters with existing portraits(such as bodhi) they can be changed with the NXXXXXXM method in the override folder but is there a way to add portraits for characters who dont have them already? For example....renal bloodscalp, aran lindvale, and phaere are a few of many that i would like to add pics for

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

There are several mods out there that hook up (most) npc's with a portrait, so that you get to see it during conversations. Been a while since I played, but G3Tweaks or similar "fixpack" sounds like a good place to start searching as candidates go. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.