1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Protection for a Kensai?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Oct 23, 2012.

1. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

well regarding the best team I support and an evil party has the best of all you have suggested above. I just love that combination of my kensai or kentheif + Korgan + Edwin + Viconia..... Ooooh lala

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 52 seconds later... ----------

I love playing kensai theif always and I give him grandmastery in quarterstaves for the ultimate backstabber Staff of the Ram.

taking grandmastery in katanas is also pretty good if you have Weimers celestial fury.

I have also tried dual weilding CF and Cromfaeyer

2. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Meh Berserkers are certainly worth having and are a good kit to use. Great offense is nice but so is living. Berserker immunities are awesome and can really save your butt against some tough enemies and have more than enough offensive power to get the job done. I will say thought that kensais are powerful and fun though and are in the running as best kit though only if your criteria is "kill it fast".

Not sure if it is fair to bring up the thief dual class though for this thread. There is no point in asking about defenses when you can wear anything you want.

3. Amnasty Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Game offers 2 Enrage Fighters but not a Kensai. Kensai's abilities are not his offensive side but strengths and that's his way of living (survival without immunities). Kensai with a support party and even without a second fighter provides a lot of challenge. This game is really easy with immunities and items available on every area that soon start spoon feeding my Protagonist making him lazy, lame and dependent. Playing like a monk, kensai or any less powerful yet developing character gives a great deal of accomplishment.

the idea of playing BG2 with such characters only and using the NPC's to fill the dis-advantages of such a protagonist is pure fun. :)

4. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG]
    I double on that, it feels great to grow through the game like running away from goblins to a real demigod:cool::cool:

5. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't get the option to dual class to anything but a cleric or mage. No thief or Druid :( How did you? :)

Also, where can I find the tables for what class gets what at what level? I don't have the books and shouldn't have to go buy them to play a video game. Lol

---------- Added 3 hours, 13 minutes and 49 seconds later... ----------

Well I just uninstalled it, re-booted and re-installed BG2 + ToB but still I can only get the kensai to dual into a cleric or mage and that's it. I haven't installed anything else. No mods yet.
    Is it something that can only be done in SoA and not ToB :confused:

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you meet all of the requirements?

Fighter/druid= 15 STR, 17 WIS and 17 CHA (mind you only true neutral characters can dual-class into a druid)

7. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's probably because your character's attributes failed to meet the requirements for dual-classing into a thief or druid.

To dual-class your fighter into a thief your character must have at least 15 strength, 17 dexterity and he must -not- be lawful good.

To dual-class your fighter into a druid your character must have at least 15 strength, 17 wisdom, 17 charisma and he must -only- be True Neutral.

8. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I made all stats 18 to see if that was the problem but it's not. Are you guys sure it's not from a mod?
    and I also am not LG and I've tried true Neutral. All to no avail :(

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What alignment is your character? You need to be true neutral to dual to druid. And I believe a thief requires that you aren't lawful good.

10. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not from a mod, people have been dualling fighters to thieves and druids for over 10 years.

Have you tried creating a character from scratch, making sure he has the requirements for dual-classing but without using shadowkeeper/cheats? You can cheat XP to give him a level or two, but don't change his race, alignment, stats, etc. You can start editing his attributes after you successfully dual-class him.

Maybe the game engine is just confused or something so creating a fresh character should help.

11. Marceror

Media:
    For the record, the above part of Eyebreaker's post had not yet been posted when I replied with this:

Sorry it's not working out for you Eyebreaker. It seems like you're having more than your share of issues with your game. :/

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well I don't know what I did different but it works now. Both cheating and not cheating the stats. If I go with any alignment but LG I can dual to thief. If I go with true neutral I can choose anything (except fighter or ranger).
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it. :cool:

13. Marceror

Media:
    Good to hear! :)

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've never had any problem if I use the ctrl-8 cheat when creating a character. Then only the character's alignment and starting class affects the dual-class choice.

15. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I just got to The Nine Hells and I'm trying to decide what to take for my Kensai:

Test of Selfishness choosing the "Good" Reward to get +10% MR or
    the "Evil" Reward and getting +2 to my AC?

I've already done the

Test of Greed choosing the "Good" Reward of +2 to all my saving throws.

Test of Wrath choosing the "Evil" Reward of +2 to STR (It also gave me another point in my STR just for giving in to the rage I held for Sarevok. Or something like that. Lol. So I got a total of +3 to my STR.

I'm Also not sure which to choose for the Fear Reward. Either the "Good" Reward for the Immunity to +1 weapons and less
    or the "Evil" Reward to get +2 to Con.
    The immunity to +1 weapons and less doesn't sound all that great when you think about it. There's not that many in the Thrown of Bhaal that uses anything below a +2.

And then there is the Test of Pride for which I always choose the "Good" Reward to get the +20% resistance to fire,cold, & electricity.
    the "Evil" Reward is 200,000XP

Any thoughts or suggestions?

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not to forget that for the good reward for the test of selfishness you get -1 DEX and -2 hp. Or that for the evil reward you lose a companion. I usually take the good path, though neither reward is particularly helpful. AC is next to useless in ToB, unless you already have very low AC to begin with (like a monk) and 10% MR doesn't do much in itself either (but every bit does help). In vanilla BG2 (without the latest G3 fixpack), you could also cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration (I think, could be another school) on yourself and you'd be immune to the effects. Earlier fixpacks didn't fix this either, but the latest G3 tweakpack does. Nowadays I just pretend it still works and give back the hp and dex through SK.

For the Fear test, I usually pick the immunity to +1 or less, just because it's more helpful than the +2 CON, which will usually only net you a slightly higher base regeneration (or base regeneration at all). Regeneration from CON starts at 20, but it's only something like +1 hp per turn, and normally you'll have gear that'll give you a lot more. It's still interesting for half-orcs and dwarves who could reach 23 if you went through BG1 with them as well. Even so, there's still a fair few enemies that have +1 or lower weapons in ToB, so the immunity is not completely useless.

The Pride test I would definitely go for the +20% resistances.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  17. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    If I dual to a Druid before the "rewards" and my alignment changes to neutral evil because of my choices will it effect my Druid status?

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It should, but it doesn't. Only Paladins and Rangers fall and become plain fighters when you take the evil path.

19. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you've dualled before changing alignment, there's no problem. I did notice once that a monk who went to neutral evil because of the hell trials suddenly wasn't able to use one specific Monk-only weapon. Perhaps there was a hidden lawful only hidden in the weapons attributes, though it didn't say anything in the description. It could be something similar will happen for druids with some druid-only weapons, I haven't tried it yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.