1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Designing an epic weapon/armor/artifact!

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Taluntain, Oct 18, 2012.

?

Which epic item should we go for?

1. Epic weapon

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Epic armor

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Epic artifact

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I have no preference

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm interested in the time limit for this and what the terms are (do you guys get to design the item itself and the history? do you get to decide what the item actually does? are they looking for general input ie "just a staff with the names Taluntain, Kitrax and Sir Bel on it" or can you be as specific as you want with the item details).

I also agree that it would help if we knew more about the game mechanics.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From my post above: "You can provide the lore, look, and type of the item (within reason), and we will put it in the shipped game."

I think this is likely still a few months away from Obsidian even beginning to send out the item templates, let alone finishing the process, so there's really no rush. Keep in mind that the "game" is pretty much still a concept only at this point. Rest assured that as soon as there's any concrete information concerning this that I'll post it here.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Given some of the blather that goes on here ;), the item should probably protect against charm and mind control effects. "Anyone who ventures into the alleys needs to develop a thick skin, and this item helps them do that by blocking out all sorts of insidious attempts at thought control . . . "

4. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Before I forget to post it, since we can provide the look of the item, is there any artist here who could actually draw out ideas that we might have to help visualize it?

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As soon as I saw armour as an option that was the first thing I thought of!

My other idea would be an artifact: the Board of Magick. At first glance it appears to be a humble shard of wood, but that is just a facade. Some kind of backstory of the great history of those who have come in possession of it over the years, maybe something about how it manages to bring great people together in a community. Maybe some kind of item that strengthens the whole group in some way, boosting morale (or some kind if equivalent gameplay mechanic)

Feel free to critique in any way you want!

Nobleman, MrMermaid and Taluntain like this.
  6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

I can do some rough concepts if it is needed. I am decent at drawing items just not that great at drawing people/animals for some reason. Of course I will take everyone's input on this and make changes where needed.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hah, I like this idea. Fits well with the Board o' Magick name, too.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some really good ideas for far... I thought Sorcerer's Plate was cute. :shake:

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So you want to name the item after me? :p

Anyway, how about a Random Bauble - a piece of jewelery that gives a random beneficial effect when activated? :D

Taluntain likes this.
  10. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    How about

The Sorcerer's Place

Type: Amulet

Effect:
    In time of peril the wearer can channel the inherent power of this artifact for a short time to transgress into an alternative reality.
    He disappears shortly from the eyes of his enemies and heals a small portion of his wounds to reappear at a random location near his original one.

Description:
    This artifact was once given from the mage A as a present to his departing son and pupil B.... and so on

I know it's a bit like cheap advertising, but I like it ;)

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If we can't design a piece of armor that all classes can use, we could create a cloak instead - something that gave the wearer a Wisdom bonus, of course! :)

Any weapon named after Tal should of course have the ability to insta-kill Trolls (and Spammers). :D

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No Splunge, you're more like athlete's foot. At first, a vague itching that you can't place, and then it blossoms into constant annoyance, only to be eradicated after a long period of medication.

:p

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... I pretty much set myself up for something like that. :D

Anyway, a few more item ideas, all playing of the Sorcerer’s Place name:

Sorcerer’s Paste – a reusable potion that slows down enemies.

Sorcerer’s Vase – rub it to summon a genie!

Sorcerer’s Race – grants temporary benefits of a different race

14. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Exactly. An insight into which items are likely keepers, and which will probably be sold off and forgotten quickly, would help. If there are lots and lots of artifacts, for example, weapons would be a good choice. But we simply don't know. The item doesn't have to be one of the best, just significant enough that people will hold on to it for a long time.

Weapons, even caster weapons, are often trumped by other gear. So unless we are allowed to make one of the uber items, armor or artifact would be the safest route. If it has to be a weapon, I'd suggest a 1-handed one, because it raises chances that people will keep hold of it for a dual-wielding setup.

I'd like to apologize for not being a backer, by the way. I honestly tried to use PayPal. But since I live in China, PayPal required that I confirm my bank account by a code deposited, and then wanted me to confirm my credit card too. Apparently they sent a code when they withdrew 1.50 from my card, and I should be able to read it in my credit card statement. I asked the girl living in my Amsterdam apartment if there was any mail from the bank, but she got nothing. I can't do anything with PayPal until I get that code. Long story short, sorry for not backing the item.:(

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How about:

The Sorcerer's Lace - a special attachment for your boots that makes you run faster

The Sorcerer's Face - a magic mask that acts as a disguise for getting past guards and other enemies

The Sorcerer's Mace - a small spray can that you spray into enemies eyes allowing a quick getaway from a sticky situation.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Np, just for reference - you can see that code in your credit card statements that you get every month, but also if you have online banking, you can see it immediately via the bank's online app since there you can check the statements in real time and don't need to wait the whole month to get a monthly printout.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A spray can of mace? No, no, no. More like a wrecking ball appears and smashes your enemies :lol:

18. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    online is the first place i looked. despite rabobank proudly being holland's #1 internet bank, there was no code from my credit card withdrawal shown in my debit card account.
    as far as checking my creditcard online: i don't know if that's possible.

as for the item: it should defiitely be something memorable.
    if player's don't want to keep it with them, it should at least be good for a laugh.
    some funny suggestions were posted already, but it can be even funnier...

or what about a hoax item that is a key to a non-existent portal to a dimension called sorcerer's place?

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Whatever we do, I think we should try and make it an item that has a wide range of role playing options, so that we can have lots of discussion about how we used it.

For example, if it did something like raise one stat and lower another, then there would be infinite different ways that could be used. Or if t allowed you to change race once in the game (sounds like something out of Avatar) then again, there could be endless write ups of how people chose to use that ability.

As opposed to a "katana +4" where the options for its use are pretty limited.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am still in favour of a caster weapon for the simple reason in almost all rpgs I have played I have had countless cool melee weapons to find and use that I felt were really special and meant something to the character wielding while my casters were stuck with some pointless weapon that did nothing. Even that Staff of Magi cool as it was wasn't really useful except for the permanent invisibility. It didn't make any of the spells more powerful it just allowed you to cast more and if you are powerful enough to get the staff you don't really need any of the spells the staff cast.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.