1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Project Eternity - Sorcerer's Place Fundraiser?

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Taluntain, Sep 16, 2012.

?

Would you donate to immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity?

1. No, sorry

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes, in the range of $5-24

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Yes, $25

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Yes, in the range of $26-49

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Yes, $50

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Yes, $75

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Yes, $100

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Yes, $150

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yes, $175+

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "Do you mean if Tal can get you a digital copy?

Remember that this project is in the planning and development stage. I am sure they have a good overall idea of what they will be doing However if they lock themselves into a specific mechanic or something that could be tricky to do and find that it will conflict with something else they will really annoy others.

The project was only announced on KickStarter three weeks ago. I rather doubt they had started actual scripting of the projects until they were certain they would at least been sure they had the base funding.

What we do know about the project is that Obsidian is making it, that it is isometric, that the backgrounds are to be painted, that character will be 3D, not sure if all but some at least, that real time with pause combat will be used. That the story will be good because Chris Avallone is writing it. That the power of the characters is based on souls which appear to be eternal and incarnate with twists. Multiple gods will interact in the story. The class system will be used, races will vary even within themselves depending on location. It will not be a D & D game because the rights to d & D belong to Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. The engine is Unity with in-house software supplementing it.

I have probably missed a lot of other things. I haven't checked today but as far as I know we have not been given detail about how the player character will be generated. Yes, there is a lot we don't know yet but those are details that are probably being decided.

When I made my donation through KickStarter I did it based on the fact that the people at Obsidian have either made or been involved in making games that I love. Games that good story, depth, challenge, that made me think, that me need to make choices and decisions, that had good dialogue. I am sure the finished game will some things in it I would rather have had different. There is no perfect game because each player has different values and desires. I do think it will be a game I enjoy, a game that fulfills the majority of what I want in a cRPG.

@Tal, you don't need to worry about a digital copy for me either.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    Ineth likes this.
  2. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes, I meant a digital copy.

I'm aware of what you mentioned about the game, and I'm also aware that at this point it's hard (if not impossible) for them to give specifics of anything other than the stuff about isometric, etc. I'm just saying that I'm usually the type to wait and see, so donating before hand to something I haven't had a chance to look at, read about (in depth), and the like isn't natural for me to do. However, if I'm assured a digital copy (and Taluntain seems to be working on that as he said) and I get to help make an item or something (without spending $1000 of my own) I might be persuaded.

Also, speaking of worthless items, here's one that might be funny (though not epic):

The Staff of Painful Healing.

This weapon, long thought to be merely a legend,
    has the unique property of healing and hurting at the
    same time. If the wielder makes a successful attack,
    it will do the damage of an ordinary staff, and then
    apply a healing spell of varying degree. So long as
    it doesn't kill the one on the receiving end of the blow
    before the spell takes effect, it might actually be
    beneficial... sometimes.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The_Curt_Jester

Donations at this point are all about faith. We are supporting many of the developers that gave the Sorcerers Place community several of the CRPGs that we most love. What's important to me, and what gives me faith that this game will be worth it, is the fact that there is no publisher getting in the way this time, which is as it used to be when the greats were created. I believe the corporatized, publisher/developer model that virtually all games are developed under currently is largely responsible for the lack of CRPGs that even begin to approach the level of depth of your Baldur’s Gates, Icewind Dales and Planescape Torments.

This sort of game is too niche, and doesn’t allow publishers to count on the huge returns that their preferred gaming model does (that is to say, the totally dumbed down and built for the masses, no-thinking-required action RPG).

So while some faith is required on this one, at the same time it’s not blind faith. If you know and love what Chris Avellone (Mr. PST), Josh Sawyer (Mr. IWD) and Tim Cain (Mr. ToEE, Arcanum and Fallout) have done in the past, well, these guys just got transported back to 1998 in terms of their creative freedoms. And they are dying to play a new Baldur’s Gate type game just as much, if not more, than we are. And they’ve had many years to come up with ideas for just such a game. I think there’s little to impede them from creating a masterpiece.

Ineth likes this.
  4. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31

I'm the eternal skeptic. I don't purchase things just because a certain person who made one game I liked is making another. That's why I like to wait and see. Getting me to the point of THINKING about backing something in this manner is quite an accomplishment in itself, so kudos to the team for making it sound that interesting at least.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's nothing wrong with that point of view. The kickstarter model isn't going to work for everyone. But for some of us, PE is what we've been wait more than a decade for, and we're willing to out on a limb a bit make sure it becomes a reality.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Up to $805 of $2000 needed thanks to Robert Liu! :thumb:

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What is the norm in the gaming industry from the current state to point release date?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Good news, everyone - Obsidian will give us 30 copies to distribute among the top donors who need them (i.e. who haven't also donated directly via Kickstarter).

At present, this means that everyone who's donated $20 or more via Sorcerer's Place will get a digital copy of Project: Eternity if they need it. In my estimate we've got about a dozen donors so far who are eligible for a copy, so there's quite a bit of reserve yet.

If you've been holding back on donating until now, or have pledged for only a digital copy via KS, you can revoke the pledge there and donate via Sorcerer's Place and help us reach our $2000 goal this way.

9. Marceror

Media:
    Good on Obsidian! Way to support Sorcerer's Place! Hopefully this will help to generate some additional traffic on this fundraiser.

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's nice of Obsidian. I would gladly donate another 100 bucks, but I cannot afford anymore until next month. I really hope we can make the 1k point at least.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since I have pledged on KS for more than just a digital copy I gladly pass my copy here to anyone willing to donate to SP's goal. That is very good of Obsidian to promise that many copies to SP donators.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But we seem to have run out of contributors.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I pledged I would give 25 bucks and I will. We have time left, don't fret Harbs. I just need to find the time to do so while at home. (Most of my posts are from my work PC...)

14. Nakia

Media:
    A Little over five days and Tal needs time to tabulate the donations and make the SP donation to Kickstarter. The sooner the donation is made the better. Only takes a few minutes.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    I'll be donating via PayPal and not Kickstarter so we're not technically bound by the Kickstater end date - meaning we could extend the fund raising and donate later if Obsidian was OK with it. If it'd make sense, that is - if we only get a handful more donations in over the next few days there's not much point in extending I guess. So for now, consider our own fund raiser to be ending at the same time as the Kickstarter one (October 16th).

Nakia likes this.
  16. Blades of Vanatar

Some of us don't like to be pushed about donating to something that is not a given to happen, as we have RL concerns which are far more important than a game development and basic addition doesn't take days to do. It takes minutes.

17. Nakia

Media:
    I am sorry you feel I am being pushy but I have no idea how much people are keeping up to date on the information and time frame. It is very easy to put off something we intend to do. I have done that and regretted it.

We each make our own decisions as to what is important to us. There is nothing personal in my posts. I just would like Sorcers Place to be represented in the game.

18. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Okay, I got off my butt and dontated $25. Actually, I donated it while sitting on my butt in my recliner with my laptop, so technically I didn't get off my butt, but you know. I will definitely want a digital copy when it comes out. How will they be distributed? I imagine we will get a link with a password or something.

Nice to see you around here again, Nakia. It's been a long cold two year winter in the Roleplaying forum.

Nakia likes this.
  19. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31

Well, they announced some support for modding, so I guess I'm in on the gamble. I'll try to make the donation at some point before the week is done.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    I believe we'll be given a set of game keys so you'll be able to just enter that on some page and download the game.

Your donation brings our total to $830 of $2000. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.