1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric Spells

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Heisenberg, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have found tons of good info on Arcane Spells but not so much info that deals with Divine Spells.

I started this thread in the hopes we could discuss are must have Cleric spells. I don't need info on every spell obviously, and I like being able to be surprised but I am wonderng what spells you could not leave home without. In particular the early stages of the game. I will start.

So, I know Animate Dead is classic and I have 3 clerics who can all cast it so that gives me a party around 9. Bull STR and STR of One seem to be must haves for the melee party members. I also like spells such as Pray, Bless and Armor of Faith sounds good although I am not sure how much help it actually brings to the table. Some of the spells that cure status effects also seem pretty darn useful. I am still early in the game so I have ALOT more research to be done.

So, again what are your must have Divine spells?

Now I also have a couple random questions just to make sure.

1. Any other weapons that do not give a bonus from STR? Like the short sword you get in Chapter 1? How about Sorrows Tear?

2. Having a lower Armor Check Penality is better then higher right?

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The UPP (Ultimate Power Gaming Party) guide gives a pretty good rundown on must have cleric spells, I'd start there, as it's more comphensive than you are likely to get in a quick forum post.

A few of my favorites, bless, prayer, recital, flame strike, firestorm, animate dead, of course. You can't forget heal and mass heal. Those are lifesavers. There are others, but again, why not just consult the source, the UPP?

Having a lower armor check penalty means a larger number is deducted from skills such as hide, move silently, etc. So no, the lower the number the more it hinders you. That said, as I've mentioned a few times before, this penalty is of little consequence to most of your more heavily armored characters. It matters most for your stealthy types.

Heisenberg and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Perhaps, I missed it but I feel like he never went in depth on Divine Spells just Arcane. I will look again though. Like I said don't need a run down on everything just some of your favorite Divine Spells. There is a spell that only works on non divine spell casters that look pretty decent.

By the way any other weapons that don't get a STR bonus?

4. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Screamer (throwing axe) does not give a STR bonus when thrown. It is otherwise a terrific weapon, so it's worth using for a low-strength character or maybe even a high-strength one. Its other downside is the low range.

Clerics have some excellent spells. JUPP discusses many of them, but my playstyle is slightly different from Sir Rechet's (less emphasis on buffs, especially short-duration ones; I try to go a long time without resting) so I use less Holy Power/Recitation/Prayer and more summons (even Monster Summoning). Greater Command is my hands-down favorite cleric spell, with GSF: Enchantment. Symbol of Hopelessness is good too. Giant Vermin is good, Animate Dead is excellent especially in Normal mode, Magic Circle Against Evil is one of the few buffs I cast regularly, Flame Strike isn't bad although I'll usually cast that one from a wand instead of wasting a spell slot on it (I mostly use it to finish off trolls and slimes), Heal is of course essential, Draw Upon Holy Might is almost as good as Mirror Image (well maybe half as good), Resurrection is like a long-range Heal, Holy Word is fantastic if your Evil characters have enough spell resistance (doesn't even need a high WIS score!). Oh, and the domain spells like Mass Dominate are great of course. :)

When I have nothing better to stock up on for a given spell level I just memorize Monster Summoning XYZ (or Nature's Call), on the theory that free HP is roughly equivalent to a damage boost--every second they spend killing a Goblin or Dog is a second that I'm hitting them with Big Black Flying Death and some Throwing Hammers of Thunder.

-Max

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heisenberg,

I'm not at a place when I can really look anything up today. As I recall UPP gives you a detailed list of suggestions of which spell to take for each spell level. If you're looking for more detailed explanations about the spells, you may be right, I don't know how much detail it gives. On the other hand, you could just take it at it's word, use the spells it tells you to use (read the descriptions of the spells in game obviously), and you'll quickly find out how useful they are. You can certainly experiment with other spells if you so desire. For me, half the fun is trying out spells to see how useful they are in practice. Those spells suggested by UPP represent some solid, safe, staples which will almost certainly serve as an excellent starting point for you.

6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    in my guide, IWD2_4dummies, i listed my preferences for my Dreadmaster and Lathanderite.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.