1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toughest fight in SoA?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Corr Raven, Jan 15, 2002.

1. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think twisted rune is the hardest because of the diversaty of the enemies. A fighter a vamp a beholder who casts death spells unblockable by MR and 2 powerful mages

2. total Guest

Until now I found most challenging mind flayer lair in sewers, nut then again i didn't saw underdark and beyond.

And with TDD liches are killed rarely easy.

3. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

OK, I posted this topic, played the game 5 or 6 times, and never got to that Shandalar. Since I now know I have to have the rogue stone I'll do it this time. It's gonna be hard for them to top Kangaxx though.

Question... If I cast Protection from Magis Scroll on my self, can I run from Kangaxx to Shandalar, without the effects expiring? And what items do I get after killing Shandalar?

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Shangalar has about 2000-4000 gold on his corpse and the other mage has the Staff of the Magi.

5. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I defeated kangaxx and run to twisted rune and the moment I stepped out there my protection of magic was gone. So it is possible, but don't waste too much time

6. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The mindflayers. They always use their stupid psionics and rip the partys brains out.:mad:

7. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] For me it is definitely the Beholders (before Chapter 5, naturally). I do cosider the Shield of Balduran a cheat item, so for me those floating balloons are a nightmare.

I'll explain why.

1) Kangaxx the demi-lich is killed with one, maximum two hits of the Mace of Disruption +2, so as soon as you get it he is toast.
    2) Liches in general can do nothing against "Protection of Undead", and there are plenty of those scrolls around.
    3) Twisted Rune can do nothing to an Iron Golem :) so you can have them at level 9.
    4) Mind Flayers' psionics can be countered by Potions of Magic Shielding (Roger the Fence has them).
    5) Dragons you can get with anything - even with magic missiles.

... but Beholders - you just don't have time to do ANYTHING - they petrify, hold, stun, frighten and kill you at the rate of 10 rays per round.

Effectively Protection from Magic will solve most of your problems, but there only two around, so I tend to keep them till the end :)

8. Frodo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

when i played on insane kangaxx beet the living s*** out of me. then i tried protection from undead....

9. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Modjahed,
    You are so hardcore. I love it. I thought I was hardcore, but I am nothing. Hail Modjahed :grin:, the guy who insisted to me that you can in fact have a DC Ranger/Cleric, and I have fallen in love with them ever since.

Thanks man.

10. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I agree that pisonics can be countered by many things, (Mazzys sword, greenstone amulet, chaotic commands spell, potion of brine, potion of mind sheilding ect.)but mindflayers can kill any party member in one hit, hitpoints ignored.

11. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] It is not ONE HIT, it is the hit which drains your int empty, so no minsc here.:D

12. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Mind flayers... Minsc dead... That's how it usually works (he doesn't last long even with a certain sword from TOB).

13. StressedE Gems: 15/31

@modjahed

You use anti-undead weapons, anti psionics items, but consider a anti beholder weapon to be cheating?? Can you explain that to me?

Do all those tactics work? First of all I doubt kangaxx won't be able to make a save vs mace of disruption second I doubt you can even hit him with it in his second form.

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Regarding the beholders, dunno about you, but I didn't think the cloak of mirroring was cheeting. I found it, I used it, they battered themselves to death. Job's a good'n.

15. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@StressedE:

For me there is a great difference between Balduran's Shield and all other items. I'll try to explain why.

1) Mace of disruption is a weapon that you can use to fight any undead - not just Kangaxx. It is a good weapon that you carry around and use.

2) The same about Protection from Undead. I use it a lot: in the Undead City in the Temple district, graveyard district, liches etc. And I believe it is not a cheesy tactic but a perfectly justified thing (well, duh, who might you fight in those areas :hmm: )

3) The Shapechange Iron Golem can be used anywhere, it is just for me the best place to use it. And it does not mean that I will stand and watch them all die, I am vulnerable to the attacks of a beholder, vampire and fighter. Plus, I can be hurt by summoned Effreeti and Pit Fiend.

4) Those very good potions I mention I use only when I don't have a cleric. Else I use Chaotic Commands - a very widely used spell.

5) There are so many ways to fight Dragons - and I almost never use specific Dragon-fighting items (aka sword, shield, halberd etc.)

now with the Shield of Balduran. Do you IMAGINE using it ANYWHERE outside Beholder infested areas? NO. It was made for all those that cannot find another way around floating eyes. Any when you use it you don't have to do anything. That is too much. :toofar:

What concerns the Cloak of Mirroring - I agree that pure SoA version of it is a cheat item, but I use a lot the ToB version. It will not give me complete protection, so I will have to use a ring of free action, and, for ex. a shield of harmony to be able to fight Beholders and not get killed.

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited January 28, 2002).]

16. StressedE Gems: 15/31

[quote:] now with the Shield of Balduran. Do you IMAGINE using it ANYWHERE outside Beholder infested areas? NO. It was made for all those that cannot find another way around floating eyes. Any when you use it you don't have to do anything.[/quote]

[manipulation:] now with the !Scroll of undead!. Do you IMAGINE using it ANYWHERE outside !undead! infested areas? NO. It was made for all those that cannot find another way around !undead!. Any when you use it you don't have to do anything. [/manipulation]

1) I just replaced 3 words. I know you still have to hit them to kill them, but what is the difference between hitting a creature that doesn't fight back and waiting for their weapons to reflect back?

2) beholders can still do some nasty stuff like imprisonment dire charm fireballs I know this is mainly elder orbs but still they're not hopeless.

3) When beholders are seriously hit they ofton engage close combat shield of balduran is useless vs that too

If you want to play it like that there's nothing wrong with it but I just can't see the logic and my brain is being stuffed with logic at universaty...

As for the cloack of mirroring I'd edit that be4 extremist reads that ;)

some more:

4) The only reason I use mace of disruption is for protecting me from level drains. There are better weapons out there for normal combat.

5)The same about shield of balduran. I use it a lot: in the Beholder layer in the underdark. And I believe it is not a cheesy tactic but a perfectly justified thing (well, duh, who might you fight in those areas?)

17. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    if you can't use a weapon because its special abilities are considered cheating, then there will be few weapons left to fight with. Question is if you think it is still fun to play the game with them.
    I don't like the shield of balduran myself and I never used protection from undead, but I love the mace of disruption! Just because I like MY game that way.

And for the hardest battle, what actually was the topic:
    Kangaxx the Demi-Lich was quite tough before I found something out you guys already knew, I hate Beholders and also Mindflayers are not my best friends as Minsc has a better wit then I have. Twisted Rune was a 'nice' fight!

18. zheng89120 Gems: 1/31

All the big fights are pretty hard, but once you have all the high level options, they weren't impossible. The hardest fight for me was probably the Iron Golem fight in Nalia's Castle, the Yuan-Ti mage on that level was pretty hard, I reloaded many times, but I can't think of a particular reason.

19. Dem0nKnight Gems: 1/31

the hardest IMO was Kargaxx the lich. I fought him before I could go slayer, and he destoryed me. I ahd to reload 15+ times. I got lucky though.

20. happy1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Just about to go after Kangaxx with my solo FTM. Before I killed him with the +4 staff but I read above that the mace of dispruption +2 can kill him. Is that true, I thought that he could only be hit by +4 weapons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.