1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai/Mage and Dual-Class Weapons Stay Inactive

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Amnasty, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Amnasty Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi friends little help requested for the following:

(BG2 with TOB installed)

1. Regarding Kensai/Mage Dual Class. Typically Dual-class means retain abilities of both except progress in the current.
    Why can't Kensai/Mage equip robes since Mage ability should allow me to wear atleast Mage armors?

Secondly, Can I try to invest weapon proficiency points in Flails, Hammers or any odd type as Kensai which are technically prohibited by Mage Class?
    I want my weapons to be active once Mage level is reached to regain Kesai abilities back.

2. Berserker Kit
    ... Scimitars +++++
    ... Flails ++
    ... Single Weapon Style +

When Dualed Berserker (Level 13) to Cleric and regained Berserker abilities at Level 14 (Cleric) a shocking change appeared on the weapons proficiency table.

Scimitars showed +++++ but were inactive (no +/- icons) thereby completely negating proficiency. I even tried to equip Scimitars but it shows red. :confused:

after reading Dual-Class rules it seems Cleric weapons restrictions even apply to Fighters dualing and when they regain fighter abilities.
    Why can't I equip Scimitars since fighter HP and all other abilities have been retained? :(

This is not the case with Kensai Mage where Mages are typically restricted Katanas for weapons on character sheet but a Dual Kensai with Katana easily manages to retain Katana prificiency as a Mage. Why is this Kensai/Mage dual class allowed Katanas since Mages don't wield them? :confused:

My question, Dual class fighters need to focus only on weapons permitted to the second class pool? Or Can we invest on any weapon as a Fighter and expect them to be active once dual-Class is active?

thanks...

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The mage weapon restrictions don't have an ideological background, it's just that mages never learned to used those weapons during their carreer.
    So if you learn weapon proficiencies as fighter you can use them after dualclassing to mage is finished.

3. Amnasty Gems: 1/31

I just checked almost every weapon is active when dual with Mage class.

The game never hints regarding weapons ability is affected or not with Classes dualed with Fighter. Clerics certainly don't allow any weapons of fighter.

What about other classes?

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Multi and dual class clerics and druids are restricted only to those weapons allowed by those classes, due to ethos restrictions. So in Baldur's gate 2 a dual class berserker13/cleric X can't use scimitars because a cleric is not permitted to use bladed weapons.

Such ethos restrictions do not apply to mages, so feel free to train in weapons that a mage cannot use.

The Kensai/Mage cannot wear robes because Kensai's cannot use "armor." So basically that equipment slot is off limits to your kensai mage because kensai are not permitted to wear armor of any sort. In general, when a class explicitly "denies" the use of a particular arm or armor, adding a second class cannot undue what was denied by the first class.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To echo what others have said ...

Think of it as restrictions (hard coded so the character cannot do/use it), and limitations (things you are not trained to do, but can later if you somehow acquire the training).

Every class has limitations, many have hard coded restrictions (but not all).

Arcane casters (mages, bards, and sorcerers) -- They are limited in weapons choices, weapon specialization, fighting styles and inability to use thieving skills. They are restricted from wearing armor while casting.

Priests (clerics and druids) -- They are limited in weapon specialization, fighting styles, inability to use thieving skills and may be limited in armor choices (druids). They are restricted in weapon choices. Many of these same limitations and restrictions carry over to monks.

Thieves -- They are limited in armor choices (although restricted/penalized in using some thieving abilities while in certain armors), weapon specialization and fighting styles. They are restricted to thieving weapons for their backstab ability.

Holy warriors (rangers and paladins) -- They are restricted from obtaining mastery in weapons (as are barbarians).

Fighters -- Limitations include the inability to cast spells and use thieving skills.

Basically you can dual or multiclass to remove limitations, but doing so may add restrictions to the character.

Kits also add limitations and restrictions as well. These are pretty well spelled out in the kit descriptions -- e.g., swashbuckers cannot backstab, kensai have restrictions to armor, mage killers have restrictions to magic, etc..

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well said T2.

I was considering discussing how in Microsoft Active directory permissions a "deny" always wins, whereas permits are cumulative, which is really the same concept. Then I realized that wouldn't mean anything except to maybe 1 or 2 poor sods around here. :p Limitations vs. restrictions sums it up perfectly however.

7. Amnasty Gems: 1/31

thanks guys.. got it :)

another little teeny weeny problem about weapon style and help needed on it.

1. In "Single weapon style" characters receive -2 bonus to AC and critical damage on an attack roll of 19 or 20 (2 pips) when using a one handed weapon.

Now if I invest 3 pips in Two Weapon style and not a single pip on 1H weapon style.

Can I still receive -2 AC bonus or it only applies when strictly one handed weapon is equipped?

If I have both styles with full proficiency slots than critical hits or Ac bonus transfer or retained when dual wielding?

Also, in "Two weapon style" critical damages only occur on a roll of 20 only.

What can I do for a critical hit on 19 roll when dual wielding?

I know asking a lot but a new player with typical syndrome of doubts :D
    thanks..

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Short answer: no, you cannot combine single weapon style and two weapon style.

Single weapon style can be combined with sword and shield style.

The bonuses for two weapon style are as stated and do not included any AC bonus, nor is there an improvement in chance for critical hit.

Think of it this way -- two handed weapon style is about a flurry of blows that will overpower the enemy. You hit as often as you can and wherever you can. Single weapon style is about finesse. In single weapon style you use your weapon to deflect some blows and you're better able to target vital areas (i.e., get more critical hits).

There may be mods out there that raise the percentage of critical hits on some weapons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.