1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Message Says: Adventurers Mart is Restocked Once During the Game. Check Back Later.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kasio, May 8, 2001.

1. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Betrayers!

3.16 - Can I import my character from Baldur's Gate?

they will lose all of their experience and items, essentially return to a Level 1 state.... This is to ensure that characters remain fair and balanced for everyone's enjoyment.

Yea right, if some guy who played BG1,2 for four years without food and sleep gets a little bit stronger this is called unfair and disbalance. Great.

And one more thing:
    3.12 - Will I be controlling an individual character or an entire party?

In Neverwinter Nights you control only your character directly. ...it will be possible to transfer control from one creature to another. We will also provide you with partial control over henchmen and summoned creatures. ...followers and freelancers will always remain under the primary control of the computer.

What the hell? Are we going to have another Diablo????????????? Just because it is sold 3M copies??????????????

Oh my god look what i read!
    ...true BioWare tradition, the official campaign, which represents approximately 60 hours of gameplay, is rich and epic...
    Measely 60 hours!!!!!! oh my god! what happened to those people????!?!?! Ad&d is dying...
    This IS another Diablo....

[This message has been edited by kasio (edited May 09, 2001).]

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Kasio, with the Never Winter Nights stuff, I think the thing is to realise that it is intended as being quite a different type of game to the BG series. The main focus of NWN, and what makes it the most exciting role playing game in development, is that it aims to combine the very best of Pen & Paper (P&P) with the best of compter games. In particular, it will allow you to roleplay, through your computer, with other roleplayers from all around the world in tailor made adventures designed by experienced roleplayers. (The emphasis on 'roleplayers' is deliberate).

In BG etc we have always been confined by the limitation of having to have a storyline in a self contained game. With NWN (just like P&P) that limitation is removed. The game is also very different to the Everquest type games in that you will be able to play & design dedicated adventures that are restricted to only people you want to have in the game. The presence or proper DM should mean the adventures are of a much higher quality than in Everquest and you won't have to pay a subscription. Alternatively there will also be some permanent worlds (like ALFA) that will allow a greater number of players. Anyway, its difficult to sum up everything that it can do. I suggest you read the stuff on the NWN here or visit the Bioware official site or the article I've posted a link to below for more info.

In closing, I think of NWN as a 'multiplayer' computer game for people who love pen & paper roleplaying. It will include a single player option but this is like a P&P adventure for one and so is unlikely to be as good as BG as a single player experience. The single player has probably been included:
    1) as a sort of training adventure before going on-line
    2) to help the game sell (people don't all like mulit-player only).
    You will probably also be able to download further single player adventures once the mod community gets going. So, if your are expecting BG3 and don't like proper roleplaying stay well clear of NWN:
    http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/games/gamefile_preview_page.asp?item_id=4742
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index.php
    http://www.bioware.com/NWN/index.html

PS as to the importing/experience issue. The importing a charcater is fine as it lets people who become attached to a charcater use it without re-rolling. As I understand it DMs will be able to set an experience starting level and cap to suit their adventures. This is exactley the same as happens in P&P. If I design a new adventure for some inexperienced players starting from level 1 - I will not allow a more expereinced player to use his level 20 chracter as this unbalances the game and makes it unfair on the newbies. It is laos likely to be boring as hell for the level 20 person. The reward for being at level 20 is that I will design a specific, more difficult adventure to challenge and respect the player's character's level 20 abilities.

PPS if you are looking for BG3 you're better off looking at these upcoming games rather than NWN:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/PoR2/index.php
    http://www.lucasarts.com/static/pr/bioware_pr.htm

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited May 09, 2001).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  3. kasio Gems: 7/31

Thanks for links, Slap. Star wars rpg sucks of course. Pool of radiance could be interesting.
    Seems that NWN is completely another story.
    Pity. Baldur sequence has ended with BG2.. Which seems to be agony compared to BG1...

4. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

also.. u have to pay 50 gp to look at those new stuff... then again.. whtas 50 gp at such a stage?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, so 20 posts later everyone finally came to see that what I posted is right. Oh ye of little faith. :rolleyes:

Dreams shattered? Hopes lost? Good! We can now link to this thread every time some wiseguy starts yelling that everything from BG2 will just export into NWN.

Oh, and for the last time, NONE OF YOUR ITEMS WILL TRANSFER EITHER. Get it through your thick skull already. (kasio and/or everyone else who still won't drop it).

6. kasio Gems: 7/31

Items - well they could damage balance, but some additional xp as a reward for foodless/sleepless BG1,2 adventures would be FAIR and WONT do anything to BALANCE.

Hopes die last.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] * Adventurer's Mart is restocked discussion *

The high level spell scrolls he has after restocking are very nice! :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

* Neverwinter Nights discussion *

Also note this is 3.16:
    ... Ability scores will also be screened and modified to ensure that they conform to the 'Standard Point-Buy' system outlined in the 3rd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide.

This means that any effort put into rolling a long time for excellent stats is wasted! :rolleyes:

Your BG/TotSC/BG2 character will thus:
    - Lose all xp
    - Lose all items
    - Get completely new stats

Don't be so sure you get to keep the characters name or portrait either!

Yippee! I can import my character! :p

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 09, 2001).]

8. kasio Gems: 7/31

No but lets take a look on this questin from such angle:

Dont you agree that having a little higher stats and more xp as a compensation for playing BG1,2 would be rightful and honest?
    And, moreover, would keep players interest on BG1,2?

9. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] What about the special abilities, you gained in Hell, like immunity to +1 weapons and less and the 10% magic resistance? I suppose they'll disappear too. Then what is the point in importing my character? A BIG SHIT NOTHING! :mad:

10. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

whats everyone whinging about u can import ure charector into throne of baull isn't that enough sides NWN is like a completly different game and plays so at another level so i say enjoy it

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] BG2 developers say that U can import your existing BG2 character into NWN! But after all this discussion I see no sense in importing anything! Right said my character's stats(an undead hunter and a sorcerer) don't go over the max(18). I can create a brand new char. with those stats, but if I lose all experience, all special abilities etc. THEN THERE IS NO POINT IN IMPORTING ANYTHING into NWN!This option HAS NO SENSE! :mad:

12. kasio Gems: 7/31

This is called KNAVERY.
    If those bastards made worse games I would IGNORE them from now and forever...

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

That's true.
    BLACK ISLE and BioWare don't havee monopoly on producing RPG.
    Theese games aren't the end. They are the beginning. And it is people like You who seeks more, that makes a change.

PS. where is my pal? :mad: I can't start the BG2-weekend without him.

14. kasio Gems: 7/31

Thats right theoretically they dont have a monopoly. But practically there is oligapoly in AD&D CRPG market. And thats logical because this market just isnt large enough to attract more companies.
    I think I know what should be done to change these games to better. I think I see the picture at least... But who listens to me... Even fans oppose all as one.

And right now i think AD&D game developement has moved from "invention" stage to "exploit and compromise" stage. They think how to satisfy wider and wider customers audience by exploiting current achievements of AD&D games. Making them articles of popular consumption. Thus making easy profit.
    Thats where monks, metal sewers, red pianos, glass containers and deadline on Christmas comes in...

Great things that have been done during the history on mankind havent been affected by these factors.
    What Mona Lisa looked like if Leonardo should have finished it until Christmas?
    Truly genious games like Dune2, Doom, Quake, UFO1, Myst, BG1, Warcraft1, Fallout was made not for profit making (considering money factor, but this was not the main and only idea) BUT to realize, bring to LIFE the IDEA.
    And thats how games, pictures, books, movies and other works of art (which later are cloned by those who think of profit only) must be done.

Little more care of design, story, rules and, yes, player (not money in his pocket)
    and BG2 would be a great work of art. Now it is an beautiful woman with foxy beard.

Amen.
    kasio

[This message has been edited by kasio (edited May 10, 2001).]

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I think the point here is that BI made a mistake in including the message about you getting to import your BG2 character into NWN and now we're making them pay for it by complaining about it.

It would be best if BI came out and said they made a mistake in making that promise instead of trying to weasel out of it like this! :o

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Reply to Kasio:

You come across as more negative than I think you really are, Kasio. Perhaps you are too ambitious and post your criticism before you have really thought it through. This is the feeling I get after having read many of your posts.

About your comments then:
    Kasio wrote: "Making them articles of popular consumption. Thus making easy profit. Thats where monks, metal sewers, red pianos, glass containers..."

If we, the players, don't like the product we either stop buying their product or - if it's a minor flaw - we complain about it.

Naturally a company must make a profit and that's why they try to listen to what their customers say. Profit is not the only incentive for a company. If the people who work there like what they are doing it's more likely to do well. Can you honestly say that you know that BI or BioWare is devoid of people who burn for what they do and like crpg's? I don't think you can.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 10, 2001).]

16. kasio Gems: 7/31

Yea, promise first, think after.

17. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

response to original topic:

there are 2 really nice items that are restocked in the mart:

1. protection from magic scrolls x 2

2. +4 2-handed sword (with 1d12 damage)--best non-paladin, non-evil 2-handed sword in the game--better than the vorpal sword because the vorpal is 1d10 and +3.. take it from a half-elf kensai with grandmastery in 2-handed weapons

[This message has been edited by cotman68 (edited May 10, 2001).]

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

to Cutmann68:

You say that a additional bonus of +1 (dealing 14 insted of 13 in damage "JUST AN EXAMBLE") and having one lower THAC0, is BETTER than the ability to slay creatures? HAve You tried playing with the vorpal-sword?
    I find the secondary ablility most efficient..

To Kasio:
    Then my friend, we have already failed. Don't bring Yourself down with cynisism and apocalypse.
    Did Martin L. King say: "we are doomed?" Nay he fought for his dreams. And so shall You.

And for me. I dont ever think about replacing my pen and paper RPG with computerRPG in the near future. Try playing pe&paper and let Baldurs Gate be Baldurs Gate for a while.

EDITED HERE:
    You mention all the 1. games in a series.
    Perhaps a new AD&D games series eventually finds its way to the market. An D&D game that tries out new ideas. The ideas You have metioned. Even though we are few buyers. We are still the ones spending a lot of money.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 10, 2001).]

19. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

man.. this is starting to look serious

20. kasio Gems: 7/31

Earl Grey,
    "Can you honestly say that you know that BI or BioWare is devoid of people who burn for what they do and like crpg's? I don't think you can"
    I am half sure I CAN... Follow me:
    You say they like their job (some of them do, no doubt), they do it not for only for money, but olso to realize their IDEAS. So they are kind of artists you say. And they create (should create) an art. Maybe lets compare them to Leonardo I mentioned above... And their job to Mona Lisa (ridiculous, but still).
    SO CAN you imagine that Leonardo has finished his painting and saw that there are some faults left though... Do you believe he would start a new painting without correcting current? Without making it perfect? He loves his painting it is a part of him, so he will surely correct his faults. And every artist would...
    BG2 developers decided not to release new patches. They see their Mona Lisa corrupted through and and over, but they dont fix it.
    Patches must be for free you see. They dont worth efforts. Lets throw software-engineer force to make new game, to make new money.
    It is obvious.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.