1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BioWare - What went wrong with SWTOR?

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]We normally bypass MMOs but CountChocula sends in this article at Gamasutra, titled What went wrong with Star Wars: The Old Republic.

A. Cooperative Play: Taking on an opponent with five, 20, or even 100 of your friends and teammates adds a great deal to the excitement level of a game. Not only does the result of an encounter require a lot more communication and team work, it also adds additional randomness that can make every encounter unique. Doing well in such situations also can bring great prestige as others will come to admire you if you perform well under pressure when they are depending on you.

The best parts of SWTOR are the story line missions. Their cinematic quality makes you feel like you are in a movie that you control. The weakness of this design is that the focus is on a single player, and that a full group could be just two players and AI companions. This gives SW:TOR the feeling of a "Massively Single Player Game". While there are missions that can accommodate more players, the game never manages to escape this feel. ​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The fact that its an mmo, and not Kotor3 is what went wrong. Add EA into the mix, and we have a foul smelling dish.

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ I agree.
    People asked for a KotoR 3 and got SW:TOR.
    Some simply wanted to scratch the Kotor 3 itch with TOR, and hence the drop in players after the scratching was done!

4. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    That is exactly the point, though noone would admit it.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It started earlier. They left their roots with Jade Empire, forgot gameplay, and focused to improve their strongest points. The weaknesses were covered with all kinds of trick and novelties that changed every game.

The fast, easy but fleeting money of the console lured Bioware away and quality dropped to the same level as the competition.

With Dragon Age 1 they took a step back to the right path, but again were lured away by their overlords to take a bite out of MMorpg pot of endless gold. without realizing Blizzard had already sucked it dry.

The game came to late in a market that already had shifted towards the free to play format with micro transaction.

Story alone is not enough.

6. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Pretty much. I played it for 3 months myself and honestly had a great time. After a while though, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that I wasn't really getting my money's worth out of it. I'm actually looking forward to the "F2P" model, if it's decent (kind of like LotRO) I could see myself playing it once in a while.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's not the really the point of why SWTOR failed as a MMORPG. The whole reason people continue to play MMORPGs is because it rewards grinding. Story is fairly irrelevant in a MMORPG. Diablo 2 is a better MMORPG than SWTOR, precisely because of the addictive trait of the gameplay, whose centre is grinding for better gear and higher levels.

SWTOR unique selling point is that it is a MMORPG with a story. But a story is nice for a single time, maybe a second time as well, but certainly not for playing a long time. So people leave after a while - it's only natural.

Bioware's change of course from 'pure' RPGs to action games with some RPG elements has been going on for quite a while now as is not necessarily related to the whole MMO thing. Nor is it necessarily related to EA's involvement, as some people seem to think.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My point. They forgot gameplay. grinding and the fulffilment of it is gameplay.

So story is not enough to carry an MMorpg. Neither is it for a single play game. Gameplay first. But the story carries it from 80 tot 95% fresh

That involment started years before the takeover. The EA boss of those days were buddies with the two famous doctors as I recall. It was not the first attempt for a takeover.

How about this piece of gossip: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/BioWare-Austin-Greg-Zeschuk-Ray-Muzyka-SWTOR,16802.html

---------- Added 0 hours, 9 minutes and 17 seconds later... ----------

I think that they lost the control over their company far earlier. Just around the time frame between jade empire and Kotor2(which they did not make)

No way that Bioware of old, who made our holy grail type games, would have stabbed PC gamers in the back with a console only Jade empire. Hardly any releases for some time. And suddenly Mass Effect1-2, Dragon age 1-2 a MMorp, Mass effect 3 is a timespan not seen by Bioware.

Call it conspiracy if you must.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
  9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It does seem like there were some good relations between Bioware and EA higher management. That's part of why I say that it's not strictly EA's fault that Bioware lost its way.

I would say it started earlier, with NWN already. Basically that was just a toolbox and some proof of concept that was released as a game. It was a good toolbox and some other people made nice games with it, but Bioware didn't.

Jade Empire was indeed more an action game than an RPG, but I did like it for it's break away from the standard fantasy setting.

10. Merlanni

Media:
    Strangely I liked NWN. lack of story sure, but the overall feeling was great.

I liked shadows over Untrentide best.

11. henkie

Media:
    I liked NWN too, the gameplay and mechanics are pretty good, but it seems to me that Bioware, which is supposedly famed for being one of the very few RPG makers, do not really have a good track record for making good RPGs. Baldur's Gate is good, supposedly KoToR is pretty good, the rest is mostly action games with some RPG elements.

Some pretty fun action games, mind, but not really RPGs. MDK2 was great fun, in NWN it was fun to think up a character and building him up through a couple of user made modules (and HotU, I guess), Jade Empire was quite fun in a game breaking way, the way you could use some combat techniques to totally break any difficulty in the game.

DA and ME I didn't like, but I suppose that for those that don't mind the repetitive, rather boring gameplay, they were quite ok action games.

12. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll admit that I really enjoyed NWN also. Even though the OC wasn't that strong, I managed to get through it a few times with different classes. It only got better with the expansions, particularly SoU. Of course, the real magic was the fanmade campaigns that kept it going for years after release. I got my DnD fix from it for sure, in spite of the fact I never really got to have a proper party in any of the official campaigns.

That said, if I want a NWN fix these days, I always go to NWN2, as it is superior in nearly every conceivable way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.