1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Countdown at BaldursGate.com

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by reepnorp, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The BG2 versions of Monk/Sorcy/Barbarian match up more closely to the 3rd edition versions as opposed to the early versions frmo back in the 80s.

But the Blackguard has already been added as a fighter kit in one of the mods. The mod version allows only ** in weapons, max rep of 14, no dual-classing options, poison use and some other minor abilties. I don't remeber what mod, but I have it installed on my home PC (I mostly post from work...)

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, don't knock it till you try it. Maybe it will become your favorite class. :)

Even if it wasn't there, I don't see how it's so different than having, say, the assassin class. The assassin is essentially an evil rogue. The blackguard is essentially an evil warrior. Regardless, it's another option for players that should make the experience more enjoyable for those who enjoy that sort of character. I can't see any reason to get in a twist over that.

If it's that you are a 2ED purist, well, BG is anything but pure 2ED, so you should be over that by now.

And finally, hating on 3ED is so 5 years ago. Cool people know to hate on 4ED! :D

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ohh I wasn`t hating on it. I just remembered the developers saying the game would be "pure 2ed".

And YES, i do hate 4ed. I guess i am cool.

4. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Pre-purchased for sept 18 o.O!

I'm such a sucker :(

4ed DIE!

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yep, Blackguard was once Anit-Paladin. But in later editions, both became prestige classes of their own!

But BOT: I too will purchase BGEE, simply because!

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Bought it.
    Just the fact that this may work with far less issues (or work at all) on a Windows 7 machine is enough for me to buy this game.
    Not to mention, I don't have this. I only have SoA, so its fine.
    Rs. 1040 for a game that's considered the grand-daddy of all RPGs today is not that big a deal.
    So about 20 days before I can play the beginning part of the game I have sunk more hours into (other than AoE II : AoC) than is probably healthy.
    Cant wait.

7. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Bought it.
    And only if for supporting this great game engine.

8. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'm still waiting for a purchase. Right now I'm not seeing a visual upgrade, as the character models look dated as f*ck. I expected at least an overhaul in that department. Disappointing. Given the fact that we all played BGT or BG Tutu we already experienced the game with the BG2 engine. It's nice to have some additional content, but right now it doesn't seem worth it. Not to someone with little cash like moi. :D

Will definitely buy the remake of BG2 though, as I just love that game too much.

9. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    They can't do that because the original models were lost.
    Creating them new from scratch would have been too time consuming:

source: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-cant-be-done

10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That's just bizarre ... kind of like NASA losing the original tapes of the first f*cking moon landing.

I mean, I don't suppose at the time of BG's making they figured "yep, we have to preserve this for all eternity," but still, just because you don't think that shouldn't mean your hard drive with all those assets on it gets scheduled for reformatting the next day. That's just bad business practice, if nothing else. I bet there are countless crappy games out there that have all of their original assets safely stored away somewhere just because the developers knew it was prudent to do so.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some former Bioware sysadmin is probably using that harddrive as a coaster right now, fully intact, and laughing his arse off at the trouble he's caused. :p

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Let's see:
    1. Only enhanced bit in this Enhanced Edition appears to be a support for different resolution
    2. Barely any new content and certainly not nearly half as much as a few of the mods out there
    3. Costs $20
    4. Needs activation through this Beamdog thing (apparently you can download it before the release date but won't be able to play it until the release = activation)
    In short: won't be getting it. Maybe if it appears for a few bucks on GoG, but don't see that happening anytime soon (the originals still cost $10 on GoG and since this version most likely needs to pay royalties to the owner of the property, the price will not likely ever be below that of the original games, outside of sales, possibly).

Whatever.

*Goes back to play some more BG and IWD*

13. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    I think judgement should be put on hold until the EE is actually out.
    Sure there is a ton of story mods out there but in most cases they aren't on the same quality level as the original. And at Beamdog there have been some professional at work for the EE. Looking at the concept work of Nat Jones, e.g., shows the quality of the art.

The DRM isn't that bad either, it's just a onetime check, and then offline play is possible (though I prefer no DRM as well).

Well, content looks pretty empty for 20 $ but Imho one should give this project a chance.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, they are adding support for other means of play like ipads, android, etc.. though IMO the fan base would rather have enchanced graphics/game engine first, more content second and enchanced support for other appications last.

15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Of course, judgement should be reserved until the game is actually out. And I would be willing to give it a chance for max $5 on GoG (i.e. no DRM).

As it stands - do not care.

16. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

IWDII EE!:
    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/240/image1sce.jpg

Jokes aside, the screenshots of the new content bother my eyes. I was expecting the new areas to look much better than the old, not the other way around.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Any kind of blurring in the backgrounds is exceedingly rare in the IE games... pretty much everything is characteristically sharp. So much so that that kind of blurring sticks out like a sore thumb unfortunately. It's anybody's guess why they're doing it now - either they've got absolutely no eye for detail and style continuity - or they're just doing it to make the new content stick out like a bloody finger.

Either way, it's a fail in my eyes.

18. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

The new art direction and character portraits are proof enough. I can't think of any areas that are blurry in BG/BGII, the background in some Severed Hand areas are blurred but, it's representing distance (and still easy on the eyes).

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.