1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 116

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Is it true that surge suppressors can really only handle one surge that would have been capable of damaging your system (meaning that you should get a new one if that ever happens)? I read that somewhere a while ago.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    During the summer, whenever there's a storm here or in the vicinity, short outages are very common. Most of the time it's just for a split second, but enough to shut off anything that's not on an UPS.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That depends on the supressor. Kinda like fuses vs. circuit breakers: Some work by being destroyed others are resettable.

Gaear likes this.
  4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm pretty lucky I guess. The power here doesn't go out that often - maybe once every couple of months or so. It seems to go out quite often at my mom's place though. Or maybe that's just when I visit.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I've had a power outage at home maybe only two or three times in my life, it can't be much more than that (and I mean the power going out in the street or neighborhood, not just blowing a fuse or something like that).

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Go on, tell us how awesome your country's power grid is... rub it in... :shake:

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I actually kind of like power outages. One of my favourite memories from high school was the blackout of 2003. I had spent the night before at my friend's place, and since my dad had to drive into Toronto to pick up my mom (the train she took wasn't running) I spent another couple days there. Barbecuing leftover pizza was so much fun, and not something that most people can say they've done :D

Now that I live in downtown Toronto there haven't been any power outages that have hit my place, which is surprising considering that the power grid in this city has been less than spectacular lately.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  8. Dice

Media:
    Actually I have a lot of fond memories of power-outages as well. I guess when the power goes out you realize that there is more to life that is going on around you.

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    The 2003 blackout didn't touch us here in Québec, although the The Ice Storm of '98 was pretty bad too. Massive blackout for days in winter, tons of people had to be relocated. The streets, building, bridges, everything covered in thick ice... fun

Anyway, it's me birthday in 13 days, I didn't exactly expected my life to be like this at age 24.

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Well, reading Dice's and reepnorp's comments, I missed out on something ;)

And I wasn't boasting, just a bit amazed at how common power outages are in the rest of the civilized world.

And Canada :p

11. Dice

Media:
    :lol: It took me a min to get that.

I just added a pic of an old painting I did, that I almost lost to water-damage and mould. I was lucky that the mediums I used to make them were not badly affected by the water. Anyway I thought I would post a link because the painting is kind of funny :p.

---------- Added 4 hours, 23 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

Hey, there are some people in the chatroom right now if anyone is interest.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  12. Ofelix

Media:
    For some reasons I find Bill Evans' music to be very smoothing. I just love Jazz I guess.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly! I no longer believe they happen every Wednesday afternoon, but they sure seem very common. I should tell you how awesome our power grid is: I only witnessed a power outage once or twice in my life.
    :D :evil:

Ooooh! Careful what you say there or somebody buys you a Dixieland jazz cd. :p (Or another jazz genre that's totally different).
    From what I heard of Bill Evans, I could say I totally agree with you. :)

14. Dice

Media:
    I think I've been neglecting my random babbling. Or maybe I really don't have a lot to say. Well at least I went and bought eggs.

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You bought eggs... This could be the start of a very interesting conversation.
    How many did you buy? Where did you buy them? Why did you buy them? And what are you gonna do with them?

16. Dice

Media:
    I bought 20 at Safeway because I make a lot for breakfast and I will probably cook them. :p

17. Ofelix

Media:
    Btw, the Evans comment should've read "soothing" not "smoothing" I always mix the two, damn m ! Sure, Evans is no Miles Davis but still pretty good.

So, spent 6 hours in the waiting lobby to see a doctor only to double the strength of me meds. Great, I guess.

Edit: Oh yeah, turns out the psychiatrist diagnosed me with Social Phobia, really ? Could I be more of a stereotypical nerd ? Meh now at least I know what's wrong with me.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The best power grid in the world here? Most likely, but still.

The street lights did not work.

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I think we have had two or three blackouts during the last 10-15 years. Yeah, the power grid here is awesome. :p

20. Dice

Media:
    Are we still talking about power-outages? How about who lives in an earthquake zone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.