1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Holy Gunfire Batman!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

... yep, it's happened again. Tragic.

I've just read that in America 84 people are shot to death daily. Surely something has to be done? Whilst ever any Tom, Dick or Harry can buy a gun as easily as buying a loaf of bread, you're going to continue to get this. They NEED to change their gun laws, it's outrageous. 12 people go out at night to have a good time and never return.... just, tragic.

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Got Ninja'd by BA. Apparently a PhD student in the local university who was in the process of dropping out.

You've gotta wonder what kind of massive meltdown he was having before doing something like this.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Looks like his apartment is a giant Booby-Trap with hi-tech explosives. This goes beyond gun control. This guy looks to have been a walking time bomb that went off. Yikes!

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The issue IMHO is not gun control so much as a$$h**e control. We allow people to be idiots, we tolerate really reprehensible behavior in the name of tolerance, and then are surprised when these freakshows blow up.

The lax parole laws and such don't help. This is a horrendous tragedy, don't get me wrong. I want this punk punished as brutally as possible. 14 people dead, several of them children? No excuses, no mercy, no mentally unstable pleas. Just get rid of this filth.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Really LKD, do you truly believe that? If this guy didnt have access to an assult rifle, shotgun and handguns could he have possibly done this damage? Lets bear in mind that before today this guy was a model member of society, not your regular 'a$$h**e'... as you put it.

6. IvyTheGreat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know it wouldn't solve the problem, but I defiantly think there should be some sort of psychiatric evaluation required before getting a gun licence.

Obviously this wouldn't stop the crazies from buying illegal guns and i'm sure the evaluation wouldn't catch everyone but I think its a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately any legislation banning the ownership of firearms would never be passed because of the NRA and the second constitutional amendment ("right for the public to bear arms").

A longer waiting period would also help. I'm admittedly no expert on the subject but its my understanding that many states have a waiting period to obtain a gun in order to prevent people from doing something incredibly stupid in the moment. Doesn't stop the premeditated stuff though, which usually turn out to be the worst shootings it seems.

I would love to see private ownership of guns banned in America, but i really don't see it happening. The best we can hope for is that these tragedies will get some more restrictive legislation passed. :(

7. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Running to the law won't help with this kind of problem imo. Do you really think gun laws would actually deter someone who wanted to go on a killing spree?

They say the guy's apartment was loaded with traps, bombs and dangerous chemicals. If he couldn't use guns, he could have simply used those.

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    look, gun controls work - in the UK we have strict gun controls, in 2007 there were 59 firearms related homicides, there will always be illegal gun trades used by organised criminals and gangs, but Joe Bloggs doesnt own 2 hand guns, and assult rifle and a shot gun.

This guy today, would have passed any psychiatric evaluation required to possess his guns, the traps he used were improvised static explosives, totally useless in an offensive sense, it hasnt even been confirmed that these are functional as for safety's purpose they are being destroyed using a controlled method.

as for the 2nd ammendment, didnt it state "the right to bear arms as part of an organised millitia" ? before the supreme court (hmm...) decided that it was unconnected to service with a millitia?

9. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The impression I got from the articles and the news was that he had a pretty sophisticated setup in his apartment.

I'm sure gun control works, but like I said this is a different kind of problem. This was some confused, obsessed, possibly psycho loner who was willing to go out of his way to kill people. Considering that he did have those things in his apartment I think we can deduce that although he chose guns, he was willing to consider alternatives.

10. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    'A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'

I hardly think that this is an invitation to go around killing people. Even if guns were banned, one still can get his hands on some and/or use another means too kill.
    For example, he could have steered his car into the queue waiting to get into the cinema.

I hate so see this sad event being used by the anti-gun lobby to start pushing their agenda.

Gaear likes this.
  11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would say it 100% is a gun control issue. If this guy walked into the cinema and shouted 'BANG.. BANG.. BANG' at people, I don't think he'd have claimed 12 lives and injured more somehow. He might have got someone if they had a bit of a dicky heart like, but it's unlikely...

There should be strict background checks and in-depth psychological profiling before you're be able to purchase a gun. Especially in a country with such a history of gun violence like America. And forgive me, America does seem to have its fair share of nut-jobs; no-way should they be allowed anywhere near a gun.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have no problem with background checks and psychological profiling. What I do have a problem with is the idea that taking guns away from Joe Farmer, who has owned those 12 rifles his whole life and never gotten so much as a jaywalking ticket, is going to stop tragedies like this. Such knee-jerk policies will not make us safer.

I find it amusing that people who fight tooth and nail against alcohol prohibition can turn around and advocate gun prohibition. Neither will work. The only effective policies are the ones that focus on the perpetrators or the potential perps (I refer here to education and mental health support for the folks who show clear warning signs.)

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's no such thing as gun prohibition that anyone sensible is advocating. There's just the fact that compared to say Europe, where gun control is more strict and there's not such a widespread gun culture, we've got far fewer shootings and gun-supported massacres than in the US. Anyone sensible can make a comparison and see the differences between the US & Europe in terms of ease of access and regulation and then draw some fact-supported conclusions from that. Unfortunately the overwhelming majority of the US gun advocates don't want to change the situation in the slightest because as long as it isn't their own loved ones that get shot, it's all good. A few (dozen) thousand people getting shot every year? The price of freedom. It's all about egoism in the end - gun lovers who don't go around shooting other people don't want to be in any way impeded because some do.

And don't get me started on the "he'd just use something else if he didn't use a gun" straw man. There is no "something else" that is anywhere near as easy to obtain, use, conceal, transport, kill/injure a comparable number of people with in the same amount of time, etc. How many premeditated car massacres have you heard of in the last few years? And how many gun massacres? Exactly.

14. IvyTheGreat Gems: 1/31

Did the guy give any sort of reasoning for the shooting yet? I mean its obviously because hes a nutjob but has he tried to justify it at all or anything?

15. Paracelsi

Media:
    Nah after the shooting he just stood there and after he was arrested he decided to tell the police that his apartment was stocked with explosive devices. Police did say that he identified with Batman's archenemy the Joker.

Recently there was an article that a small blast was used to disable a tripwire to around 30 IEDs (improvised explosive devices) in the guys' apartment. Apparently he left with loud music blaring as an attempt to force someone to barge in and trigger the explosives. People were evacuated before that happened. Not much else is known except that bomb teams have been making progress. They're proceeding as carefully as they can to minimize damage to the apartment, so they can gather evidence.

16. IvyTheGreat Gems: 1/31

Thank god they didn't go off... What is wrong with people. :(

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am fascinated by the intensity of the gun control debate in the USA. I'd love for a very clever psychologist to explain that all to me.

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm no psychologist and I may not be all that clever. IMO --> GUN = PENIS

There you go.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  19. Paracelsi

Media:
    Freud should've been born in Antarctica or something.

20. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.