1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Valygar

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by JTG Dragon, Nov 24, 2001.

1. JTG Dragon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I just threw Minsc away from my party to get Valygar but there is one thing I'm wondering about. Valygar can't cast any spells. He's on level 11 but he can't cast any druid or mage spells. Stalkers should be able to cast both. What's the problem?

2. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Be patient. Valygar can cast spells after levelling up more.

3. JTG Dragon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok. Patience. :)

Thanks. :)

4. Demonater351 Guest

Unless you plan on putting a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength on Val, I highly suggest you do not get rid of Minsc. Kick somebody else out, but don't get rid of him. He's the second best fighter in SoA (note: *SoA*...), after Korgan. Valygar is better as a third or fourth fighter or as a scout. Also, he's limited to only leather armor. Keep Minsc, the lovable, bumbling hamster-loving ranger!

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

No, waiting wont do anything. Valygar seems to be a bugged character. Although he has no mage/druid spells, some may argue that this was intentional because he hated magic so much. Another problem AFAIK with him is that he also does not have any backstab ability.

6. Satanatron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] So in other words friends, dont use him because his crap. Without those abilities he ceases to be of any use at all. The stalker kit is already questionable, but the fact that he is bugged and/ or is unable to use the innate abilities (or gimmicks) of the stalker class is just tragic.
    Save yourself the bother and kick the fool out for Minsic if you like those panzy rangers.

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

What? When I played him he always had spells so I don't know what you guys are talking about. He was one of my most effective characters, because he could use all of those good katana's you get in the game, and was an awsome backstabber. Oh by the way, a dual classed fighter/mage can wear his armor AND cast spells if they have the following stats:

6 strength
    18 dexterity
    11 wisdom

It looks really cool casting spells while wearing leather. Note that MC Fighter/Mages can't wear this armor. So even if you don't plan on keeping him, grab his armor!

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 24, 2001).]

8. Demonater351 Guest

Valygar can cast Priest spells, he has to gain a level while in your party first to do that. Also, he has a low backstab modifier because Stalkers gain it at a slower rate than thief's. Let him gain a couple of levels, and it should get better.

9. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like Valygar, right now at lvl 11, he has stealth 123, can cast 4 priest spells (2 lvl 1, 2 lvl 2), armor class -3 (Fmaily armor + cloak of the sewers), str 18/00 (gauntlets), THAC0 0 using Elven Court Bow +3 and 3 attacks. I wouldnt call that a bad character

10. Gillan Ironwood Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I found Valygar to be a key member of my party dual wielding Celestrial Fury and his own sword. I never used him as a backstabber as it never seemed to work. He does get spells though his wizard spells appeared in the priest spells section.

11. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Lord Saverok, are you serious about the strength of 6.

If my fighter/mage had a strength of 6 then how did I dual him? He/she has to have at least 15 in str to dual.

Also, if my fighter/mage did have 6 str, I think I would shoot him :D

Regarding Valygar and backstabbing, it does work, In my case it did anyway :D, although I have only used him very briefly in SOA so far.
    However, he gets a lower backstab multipler compared to thieves, lvl 9-16 x2, lvl 17+ x3) and I think he can only backstab with weapons that the thief class can use, so no hammers and maces.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I threw Minsc out for valygar, and it was a good deal. Valygar had more interesting things to say and he *could* backstab. he dual wielded cFury and his own blade with the ring of Gaax and boots of speed with the gauntlets of ogre power and girdle of piercing. He worked so well bec. cFury would stun almost anyone when it hit.

13. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well you need 6 to wear leather methinks. I guess 15 because you need that to dual.

14. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I had Valygar in my first party, and he was the most effective of my fighters (and yes, I had Minsc too). He could cast spells, and he could backstab, but this ability (backstab) disappeared inexplicably after a while. He was still my most effective character, though.

15. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, he can wear that drow plate +5, although he can't use his stealth ability when you have it on. Maybe he was wearing that?

16. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] he is great i have a pure evil party and he is the only good one (i ment good aligment)
    keep him and throw away minsc

ps. i think that he is the best fighter in the game ds.

[This message has been edited by Cog Primius (edited December 18, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.