1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unable to play Icewind Dale over WLAN

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Fuzzzeeee, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Fuzzzeeee Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey guys,

I came across SP while I was looking for a solution to the problems I've been having all last night. My dad, my brother and I wanted to work through Icewind Dale together, two characters each, yada yada. We first hit the problem of where the game crashes out in Windows 7 whenever you try and create or join a multiplayer game. After a bit of 'net crawling, we found that all you need to do is go into Windowed mode when you click Create/Join and then back to fullscreen afterwards.

Unfortunately, our next issue has us completely stumped. We're all connected via wireless LAN on our home network, and have no trouble playing some other games (Age of Mythology and Dungeon Siege specfically, though both of those are Microsoft Games so maybe that's a factor?). No matter what we try, be it turning off firewalls, making sure we're all patched to v1.42 etc., any time we try and join a game we get the same "Cannot connect to game session" error.

As wonderful as Windows 7 is, it makes me sad that it has compatibility issues for older games, especially when it comes to multiplayer. I remember when we all had XP several years ago, we played IWD over the network perfectly fine, so is this just an irreparable OS problem or something else?

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Fuzz.

2. Gavial Gems: 1/31

A complete shot in the dark.
    Did you try to connect just two of you?
    Or even connect with wires instead of wireless, just to check.

3. Fuzzzeeee Gems: 1/31

Nope, although I have been tempted to try that just to see if it works. I'm sure we have a crossover cable around somewhere, so I'll give that a shot. Honestly, if that didn't fix it then it would leave it to be pretty much exclusively just an OS problem, because I can't see how else it could just not work. Since Hamachi isn't an option for us, I'm not sure what else there is we can try.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. Fuzzzeeee Gems: 1/31

Not to be cynical here, but that's exactly what I'm going to be... what's the catch?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  7. Fuzzzeeee Gems: 1/31

I managed to find and read up about it, I just can't imagine that something that awesome exists. :p Is it only partly free but then costs? Or do you have to pay for extra features? The information they supply on their website is pretty sparse, and I'm not one to just go and download things without knowing as much as I can about it first.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    To my knowledge it's free but I've never used it. It has been around for many years though so I assume it's a legit service. Getting the IE games to work in multiplayer can be a royal PITA most of the time so anything that helps, free or costing a few bucks, is worth it IMO.

9. Fuzzzeeee Gems: 1/31

Fair enough. I know it's been around since 1999 or something on Mac, and I'm sure it's legit, my only other concern is any security risks it might pose. I've done a whole lot of trawling through the internet today, and found disturbing lack of any information on how it actually works (whether it requires port forwarding, P2P networking etc.), so that makes me anxious. It may sound excessive, but something which has a lot of users doesn't necessarily mean that its security is as tight as it probably should be (Skype is a good example).

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated regardless Tal; I'll probably run it by the others and we'll make a decision on it.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Np, I hope it works out for you.

11. Fuzzzeeee Gems: 1/31

This may be a bit of a thread necro, but I thought it would be worthwhile posting the solution that I've found for this in case anybody else has had any similar problems.

Instead of trying to use TCP/IP, we downloaded a handy little program called IPXWrapper, which as the website says:

After a bit of fiddling around, we got this to work with Icewind Dale (as well as other games like Heroes of Might and Magic III) and it's ridiculously simple to set up. Go to this site and download the .zip folder, extract it, and then follow the instructions in the readme. A couple of things we discovered is that being on an Administrator account is usually required (instead of just using "Run as administrator"), and the registry file is worthwhile doing in case DirectPlay causes a problem. Once it's set up, simply go into the games' multiplayer options and select IPX, and it should work like a dream! :D

Hopefully this is helpful to others who have had the same problem, now to relive some fantastic moments in gaming...

Cheers,
    Fuzz.

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.