1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Decided to try a playthrough...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Atnas, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Atnas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey! You could say I was introduced to the western RPGs sort of backwards and way after their primetime. I finished Baldurs Gate 2 about 2 years ago and loved it! I decided back then that I'd also tackle Baldurs Gate 1 since that's where it all originated from... but I was rather disappointed.

BG1 didn't just have the same amount of "Whoa" I felt when I played BG2! I mean, just the beginning of that game delivers so much badass content that it is crazy. While the prologue/beginning of BG1 isn't necessarily bad, it's sort of... dull.

Don't get me wrong! I realize that BG1 when it came out was one hell of a game and crushed all competition I am sure! However, it seems to me that its main strengths were more fitting for that time, unlike BG2 which seems infinitely more refined and immortal.

I've installed bg1tutu and I'm amazed that there was such a project to begin with! It must have recquired an immense amount of work to get right! So while the UI and gameplay and classes and all has been kicked up a couple of notches, one big question for me still remains...

When does the game really kick off? In which chapter, or after which event? Last time I remember that I felt very disconnected from my character and their goals, going from place A to B for little reason more than "X told you so".

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For me, it never really did kick off. If it does kick off at some point, I would guess it's when you get to Baldur's Gate. There's quite a few side quests to do in BG, but it never really does feel like you get sucked into the game. In my own personal experience, of course.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Content-wise, around the time you get your first journal entries from doing the training quests in Candlekeep. Combat-wise, as soon as your party reaches around level 3-4. Story-wise, chapter 3 or 4. Most of the big guns don't start dropping until around the time you gain entry to Baldur's Gate.

BG1's appeal is that it's not as restrictive as BG2 when it comes to exploration and story. In BG1 sidequests are more like random instances, and are far less structured than the ones you get to do in BG2.

In BG1, as far as your character is concerned, there is no story (besides the fact that your foster father was just murdered and you should be grieving/ecstatic/vengeful/indifferent/etc). You are invited to think independently and come to your own epiphanies as you go along. Sooner or later you'll stumble into the main quest (or simply run out of areas to explore) even if you avoid Khalid/Jaheira and Nashkel.

If the game feels too dull increasing game speed or downloading easytutu or BGtrilogy should help.

Edit: Also try bringing along some of the nuttier NPCs.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's a matter of preference, really... BG1 is a much more open and less condensed playground. BG2 is just the opposite - for the most part it's condensed to the point of absurdity, where you're literally bumping into quests and things to do on every third step. For some reason, most people seem to prefer that over the open exploration of BG1, but to me that simply feels unrealistic and much less engaging.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    My response is a bit different.
    First, there is a reason that the Tutu and Trilogy mods are so popular. You just found it.

Second, you need to remember that BG1 came out BEFORE BG2. When they made the sequel, they decided to try to improve it, and for once succeeded. All to often they ruin a good thing trying to make it better, but this time they did it right.

I make a habit of trying to play the first game first so I'm not disappointed that some improvement that came from player feedback is missing in the predecessor that I found so awesome in the sequel. I obtained both games at the same time, and for the very reason played BG1 first.

Finally, take into consideration the points I just mentioned. In BG2 you get a choice of using the tutorial or going straight to Irenicus' Dungeon. This was no doubt from user feedback. Candlekeep was basically the same as the tutorial in BG2, and it is boring after the first time you play. Things don't get interesting until you get out of there.

P.S. I know this is the wrong place to ask, but has anyone made a "Candlekeep be gone" mod for BG1 similar to the "Dungeon Be Gone" mod for BG2? I find Irenicus's Dungeon far more interesting to play than the Candlekeep portion of BG1, so I'm surprised nobody has a way to skip it. True, I could just skip collecting that dagger+1 and the XP needed to get to level 2 from the fetch quests along with the scrolls, potions and gems (including the valuable star sapphire), but those items usually make a difference early on, especially if I'm playing an arcane spellcaster.
    That Dagger+1 and a wand of magic missiles are sometimes my only defenses if I have the bad luck to find a vampiric wolf while going to the temple in Bergost to get that quest.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. Atnas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

SlickRCBD: I found Candlekeep incredibly short, I must say. It took me... 10 minutes to get out of there? I mean if you don't talk to all the green robed men you can be out of there very quickly! While I didn't do all the sidequests I did a bunch of 'em. Anyway, thanks for all the posts!

I do know BG1 is a different game and more or less the first of its kind. However, I can't really get into that mindset when playing it because I didn't have to with BG2 or ID2 :) I think I might've been spoiled by how huge improvements the sequels had!

Paracelsi: I don't think I've found any companion that I like so far, I must admit. Xzar (I think that's his name?) really goes on my nerves with his high pitched voice, the halfling he comes with is a bit meh and I absolutely detest both Jaheira and Khalid (in BG2, I like Jaheira a lot!). Imoen is just so meh too!

I'm sure I can find some good ones though.

Taluntain: That depends on how you see it, really. I don't really enjoy walking between the zones and running from stuff in the wildland areas. While it's a neat concept to make the world seem bigger and more dangerous, the main reason I play these older western rpgs is because of storytelling. The storytelling in BG1 is, while definitely sufficient to drive the game, not very interesting. Again, this is because BG1 when it came was new and revolutionary and since then a lot more has happened with games.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I hope you have the BG1NPC mod for TuTu, or you will find the NPCs very silent..this is a huge let down after the colorful NPCs you get used to in BG2. Yes I played BG1 waay after BG2 too, and BG2 is a much more epic game. It is normal that you feel kinda let down when playing BG1. However, taking a character from lvl 1 at Candlekeep to 40 (even godhood) at the literal Throne of Bhaal feels very epic and satisfying.

BG1 is more humble, and gives the player more freedom without actually forcing the main plot. BG2 does not 'force' it either, it has a pseudo-emergency, ie:you need to collect that much gold to further the main plot, but you can travel around and do every little quest first. After Underdark you need to rush to Suldenesallar, (even a dream-cutscene urges you to do so) but you can travel around and fnish other quests at your leisure. There is no time limit or consequences for taking your time at all.

Things get a little more interesting and 'urgent' when you return to Candlekeep in BG1, you need to rush and solve the mystery and defeat opposition, but still, it is a 'pseudo emergency' as well. You can go to expansion areas and quests at the mean time with no consequences.

As for story telling, you already know the story since you played BG2. You knew Gorion was going to be killed, that you were a child of Bhaal, and you had to stop Sarevok eventualy. So the game can not really pick your interest in this area. However I agree the game is not spectecular in story-telling area. Gorion's death cutscene is nice, but then really nothing about it. The way you discover you are a child of a fricking god is so 'meh' too. Whereas the revelations in ToB area are actually cool, and chilling. More cutscenes, voiced actors that do their job well, the atmosphere and the epic feeling, they did it so well in ToB. I guess the game designers learned and 'leveled up' as they went too. :)

8. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IMO it kicks off when you track down the main bandit camp near Larswood. IMO it would be prudent to follow the main story until you are to face you-know-who, then I would care to explore all the wilderness areas before final showdown.

Tbh I enjoyed enhanced BG1(BGT) as much as BG2, maybe even more. BGT is just great because you don't really need to treat the games as separate more like whole. I hardly think of bg1 separately these days. The story is every bit as appealing to me, BG2 is perhaps better engineered with more satisfying sub-quests but playing BG1 for the first time had its aura of mystery which well - wasn't much of an aura if you played the sequel first.

Btw what REALLY improves whole experience for me are; easy of use mods. I wouldn't care to replay the game without them- they largely eliminate unnecessary micromanagement.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes. I believe it is through Tutu though, not for the vanilla game itself. Though the name of the mod evades me at the momonet. I do have it installed. currently at work, so when I get home, I will take a peak at my weidu and let you now.

It gives you the option of taking some XP and gold and skipping the keep or taking the XP and gold and redoing the keep for double the fun or just doing it the old-fashion way.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^It is a component of the mod Sword Coast Strategems. (SCS for short) It is an excellent mod, that greatly enhances the intelligence of enemies in the game, making for a challenged and suprising game. You can fully customise the installation too, so if you are not very experienced in the game you can set out for a slightly easier enhancement or none, just install the various tweaks and stuff of it.

SlickRCBD likes this.
  11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thanks Silverstar.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would do some exploring before entering the Ducal Palace. IMHO that ties with the final battle for the hardest fight in the game. You need the XP from the sidequests. Well, that and the fight with Tarnesh at the FAI if you went directly there without picking up Monteron and Xar, or worse arrive at the inn beaten up with your spells exhausted and actually hoping to rest at the inn before more combat.
    Then again, I often find I need extra XP to defeat Tazok if I don't have a cleric (Say I've got Jaheria, Kalid, Minsc, Dynar, and Imoen, although I think I only played that combo once) to cast Hold Person as he seems virtually immune to horror.
    Only a masochist would want to play without ease-of-use or G3 tweaks. Although if you're playing a Painbearer of Illumatar you might consider uninstalling ease-of-use...

Oh, and Thanks Silverstar, I've been avoiding difficulty enhancing mods. I don't usually go for them, as I often like being able to plow through an RPG with ease due to my superior skill.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.