1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighting golems

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by elvenmage, Apr 17, 2005.

1. elvenmage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually i've succesfully backstabbed golems in the first dungeon that you start off in. I forget what kind of golems they were.

2. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Aren't thay lesser ones?

3. elvenmage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The really weak ones you encounter at the beginiing of the game.

4. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

BAckstabbing golems are not impossible though. I did it on the clay golem in De'Arnise Keep I think.
    Armed the Assasin with the Staff of Striking+8 and its easy peasy!

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought you couldn't backstab golems (because there was nothing to actual stab at)

6. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The cheesy way I deal with Golems is with Firetooth: A throwing dagger that you can buy in the Underdark. I just get the big one stuck in a doorway or hallway. Then I kill the lesser ones behind the big one first. Then just let one of my party keep throwing firetooth until the big one goes down. The extra 1-2 fire damage works against any golem even though the physical damage does not. I keep the other party members well out of the way so they do not attack. And turn off any AI. For an Adamite Golem, it takes a while. Time to go grab a soda from the fridge.

7. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Can you backstab fleshgolems?

8. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

You shouldn't be able to backstab golems. Whether or not you actually can (hello, bugs!) is another matter. :)

I believe flesh golems were susceptible to backstab in BG, so it's likely the bug was carried over as BG2 reuses a lot of BG creatures and weapons.

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Roleplaying way, flesh golems should be available for backstab. In BG1, it truly was so, so it's the same with flesh golems (and flesh golems only) in BG2: SOA.

The problem is that Flesh, Sand, Stone and Clay golems look pretty much alike, so it doesn't feel good backstabbing these clay figures anymore... *sigh*

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I thought golems and undead can not be backstabbed. Nor they can be killed by necromantic insta-kill spells. But they can be killed! A finger of death will kill a zombie, vampire and even adamantite golem! (spell trigger 3*lower resistance, send a few greater malison, DOOM, chant, then FoD will kill it! You may try Wail of the Banshee too.)(though it does not have -2 save vs penalty).
    Is it a bug or game design OR does these spells really affect unliving?

11. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"The rod can be bought in Ust Natha. IMO, it's a crappy one. I've tried to kill golems with it, and it was the same as killing elementals with Staff of Air or Staff of Fire - it almost never worked."

Same experience, poor Jaheira, golems blasted her iron skins in no time and they made their saves every time.

12. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Silverstar,

It's probably an implementation thing. P&P rules allow healing spells to have reversed effects on Undead targets - A Harm or Finger of Death would heal them up, while the Rod of Ressurection would be an Undead Smiting machine. If you have a deep need to rationalize it, you could go with the idea that these spells/effects disrupt whatever the animating force of the target is, be it Life, Foul Magics, an Electric Spark, or what have you . . .

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

@Deuce,

I agree with you. Finger of Death is such a powerful killing spell that it snuffs life force(normalbeings), dark magic(undead), or electric spark(golems and constructs). This makes sense.
    However in IWD2, FoD DOES NOT affect undead or constructs, but undead CAN be healed with heal spells, this is really buggy indeed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.