1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Permanent -10 THAC0

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Silverstar, May 1, 2012.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Okay, I was invading the cloakwood mines in my BGT game. There was a very nasty arch-druid there, put by some mod or another, who casted BIG, thanks to SCS I have added levels to all priest/druids in the game.

When he casted Nature's Beauty my Swashbuckler saved vs spells to avoid death, but got blinded. He said 'whoa!' and quickly unrolled a protection from magic scroll he was carrying for such a high-magic threat. My party retreated, and Swashy danced around the arch-druid, avoiding his summoned bears and the like, while completely protected from tons of spells the crazed druid threw at him:Namely, three creeping dooms, lots of insect plagues, and call lightnings, the real horrible stuff of tree-huggers. The druid's AC was so good, plus he had pyschial mirror up, so that attacking head-on was not an option, so my swashy made him deplete his more deadly spells, then Jaheira crept up and sent her own Insect Plague at him. By that time his pyschial mirror was gone. It took long to kill him but we managed.

Problem is, I cured my swashy's blindness with an elixir of health. But his character record shows his THAC0 as 25. Where as, since he is lvl 11 it must have been 15. (I have thief-kit enhancing mod which enables the swashbuckler to use fighter THAC0 when wielding melee-weapons, so his final THAC0 is better than that, but base is still 25.)

Went back to friendly arm inn, tried resting for a full day, tried repeated dispel magic, cure disease, neutralise poison, heal, even restoration from the temple. (I have another mod which greatly enhances temple services, stuff like cure x wounds, mass cure and heal are available) But to no avail. He still has a big chunky 25 THAC0. I think that nature's beauty spell really screwed him up. And I don't know how to fix it.

I used SK and checked, yup he really seems to have a THAC0 of 25. I can fix it via SK ofcourse, but it feels kinda cheatig, and I wonder if there is a legitimate way of fixing this problem.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds bugged. I would just SK it to what you know is the correct THACO and call it a day.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A slightly more elegant approach might be to look up if you can find anything in the status flags/affects tab in SK. Unfortunately, these are usually not very descriptive, so you'd probably need to compare it to your team members and see if you can make sense of it.

What I did when my monk became neutral evil through the hell trials, was to look up the status affects and compare those to other characters that had already gone through the hell trials. Not that being becoming evil was a problem, but for some reason the scarlet ninja-to was no longer equipable by him and changing the alignment in SK did nothing. In the end, I looked it up in Near Infinity, which has a few more options when trying to dissect these status affects and altered a few things there so the neutral evil effect wore off after a while.

This is not helping you directly, I know, but I do think that looking at the status affects of your character and comparing those to those of the other characters in Near Infinity should be able to give you a more elegant solution to your problem than just SKing your THAC0 to the correct value.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Checked via SK. On 'status affects' column he has AC bonuses, an immunity to effect, and an affect numbered 0x011c multiple times. I think they are his kit abilities/bonuses.

A test:I CLUA consoled xp to level up to 12. He immediately got 'THAC0 reduced by 10' So, I think there is not a lingering '-10 penalty affect' that refuses to be cured, but somehow, some spell screwed his base THAC0. Thus, cure spells are ineffective. On level up, since the THAC0, saving throws and spell slots are all updated, it cures himself. Weird. Does Nature's Beauty work like that? Granted, I have never seen this spell being used in my previous games. (even in ToB)

So I can either wait for a long time to level up, since he has just recently leveled up and needs to double up all his xp. Ahh, screw this, I'm gonna fix the THAC0 myself. And avoid dirty tree huggers from now on. Sheesh! :p

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You could also level yourself down in SK, and then you'd get an automatic level up upon loading the game. Of course, then you'd need to make sure you'd get the correct hp, THAC0 and saving throws for that too. So yeah, editing just your THAC0 through SK seems fine to me ;)

Glad that you found a way around the bug at least.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.