1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad Announced

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]In a somewhat confusing announcement with no mention of the PC, Beamdog/Overhaul Games just announced that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (and I assume also Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition) will also be coming to the iPad. Trent later clarified via Twitter that the PC will not be neglected and that the iPad is only an additional platform, so we can let out a collective sigh of relief.

Here's the brief announcement in full:

There are also 4 screenshots in the press release showing the original game being played on the iPad with the BG2 GUI:

[​IMG]

Those sprites look a lot less rough around the edges than I remember them...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As someone who just bought an iPad last week, I'm fairly certain Iam not interested in playing BG on one. I like using a mouse, what can I say?

3. ushae Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm excited but a little disappointed at the same time. Those screenshots don't show any kind of improvement at all. I was hoping for changes along the lines of new character models (along with armor/robes), animations and effects.

It may be just me but I can see hardly any difference on those screenshots, besides a cleaner looking interface. I suppose time will tell.:confused:

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They couldn't resist a mobile app after all! :rolleyes:

This interests me not, as, like ushae I'll take my mouse, full keyboard, and large monitor thank you very much. That said, it is at least *kind of* cool that the game can be directly ported over to the iPad. It's just not a medium that I care to game on.

5. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I was hoping we would get some clearer screenshots to really see what they did. When they announced they would be improving the graphics, I was afraid they would try and do away with the sprites and sell us some cartoony polygon models. It looks like my fears were unjustified, but then again it doesn't seem like they changed a whole lot of stuff. I know there's only so much you can do with sprites, but they need to earn the game's price tag.

About the iPad version, can't say I'm surprised. I actually think it's the kind of game that should work pretty well on an iPad though. Hopefully tapping into this big market will make the re-release a bigger success.

6. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you take a careful look at those screenshots, you can see the selection circles around characters and monsters are a lot smoother. The UI is directly imported from BG2, which is definitely not what will be seen in the final release. Oster has mentionned revamping the UI as one of the improvements they would bring on his twitter.

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, I would assume the visuals would still have to be a work in progress this early in the process. I do agree that things already look a lot crisper. I'm hoping that they'll do a good deal more visually.

8. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Dammit now I'm not sure about what I said before. It might be kind of cool to have a nicely portable BG...

9. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I should hope so. I really want them to add unique sprites for NPCs that join your party.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cool, but.... naaah.

I can't even play BG using a mousepad on a laptop - I've tried. Awkward&slow.com.

11. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Yeah touchpads suck for gaming I much prefer a real mouse for the experience and a game like this should be decent with a touchscreen since the game is mouse mainly with a very small amount of controls like pause stuck on the keyboard. as long as they add a button on screen that you can use to pause the game so you can micro manage your characters thats would be best with the hardware of the ipad.

12. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

It's on the bottom left. It's the spinning skulls in Icewind Dale, and the spinning globe in Icewind Dale II.
    http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/826/image1egi.jpg

13. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31

Incidentally, it's in the same spot as the pause button in Fruit Ninja, so iPad users should feel right at home. :D

14. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Considering I dont use the onscreen button for pausing the game I use the spacebar for it I forgot about the onscreen button.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.