1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate - Announcement gets closer?

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Trent Oster from Beamdog tweets he just met with Atari, so it looks like we are inching closer to finding out what is happening at BaldursGate.com:

Great meeting with #Atari at #GDC now we need to get all the ducks in a row for an announcement #baldursgate #bestthingever

And a couple more twits afterwards:

@LivingHitokiri my Favorite of the series was BG1. BG2 was more polished, but #baldursgate felt like you were in a massive world.​

Forgot to mention awesome meeting yesterday with the #WizardsoftheCoast guys. Great talking #d&d with them​

I certainly agree with his sentiment on BG1 vs. BG2...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

BG1 is even better when you run it in the bg2 engine via either tutu or BGT. It is still on my top 10 games list of all time and its near the top of the list

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If only there was no requirement for Atari to be anywhere within a thousand miles of this... whatever it is.

4. Topken

Didn't the license revert back to Hasbro a few months back?

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BG1 might be better for others, but the BG series would never be where it is currently if it weren't for BG2 and ToB. SoA is still my favorite in the series.

I wonder if they can bring the old voice actors back. Imagine BG1 with significantly better (voiced) NPC interaction.

6. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

If you check out the site baldursgate.com now, there is a song by the swedish band Europe that comes to mind.. It's the final countdown!

7. Topken

The source page says this now

March 14, 2012
    Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine

It is coming.

8. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Looks like the site is down, Trent Oster tweeted about it:

---------- Added 0 hours, 54 minutes and 43 seconds later... ----------

There will be "something" tomorrow at 12:00 GMT-0700, it's in the source code (plus you see it as a large counter on the page of course :p):

I suppose it'll be an announcement as he recently tweeted:

Can't friggin wait!

I hope it's not an MMO.
    I hope it's not anything "social" or having to do with "social media" in any shape or form.
    I hope... I should stop hoping. It'll probably be a disappointment. I'm bracing myself for a disappointment. Wait, it's going to be awesome?!

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1) An MMO would be a bloody tragedy. After waiting, what, 14 years for BG3, it would be a game that I wouldn't even buy. Let's reallly hope it's not that!

2) Social, like Baldur's Gate 3 for Facebook? Yeah, that would be about as bad as the MMO. I doubt this is what they're up to. If you're going to do this on a big title, typically you have to release your game for a "proper" platform like PC first, then you have your social version in addition. Dragon Age did this, and it was okay (okay meaning, I never played the social version, because I had the full PC version, and needed nothing more).

3) The other stupid thing would be a mobile app. I have never played anything more complex than, say, brickbreaker on a mobile device, because playing games on a tiny screen with limited resources just isn't for me.

4) Yet another travesty would be a game that is designed primarily for a console, and ported over to PC. Skyrim feels like this to me, and it's completely frustrating that I have to click, click, click my way over to what I want rather than just being point and click what I want when I'm playing on a GD PC!

But even if we can get a money grubbing, soulless, and totally inept (at least with the D&D franchise) company like Atari to quell their, I'm betting, STRONG desire to take one of the above paths (#1 I'm sure is their preferred way to go, perhaps #4, and worse yet, 1 and 4 together) -- there's still PLENTY of opportunity for whatever it is that they are up to to be a friggen' disaster. I know, I'm cynical and jaded.

What a follow up to Baldur's Gate absolutely should have/be:

1. PC based (port it to console if you must, but build it for the PC).
    2. A single player game first and foremost (sure, add some multiplayer support if you must, but not at the expense of the single player story/experience.
    3. A party based game with a protagonist and up to 5 additional followers (a party of up to 6 has really become synonymous with Baldur’s Gate, with numerous party options possible.
    4. A rich, epic story that takes place in a rich, expansive, and epic game world.
    5. Plenty of interesting side quests that have nothing to do with the main storyline.
    6. Ideally, Bhaalspawn should have some role to play in this story, or otherwise there should be some sort of strong tie in to the original storyline.

In terms of how it relates to the original series, I’m not totally decided. Several things could be cool:
    1. A new story arc that takes place during the time of the original story, but is separate. This would give the opportunity for us to even see our beloved Bhaalspawn and his/her party and their impact on the world, but we’d be dealing with our own challenges. Alternatively, perhaps we could rewrite history a little, and become a little more involved in the affairs of the Bhaalspawn (you know, become the “lost Beatle” err, or the “lost Bhaalspawn companion.” Maybe we do a single quest with the BS, similar to the Drizzt interactions that occurred in the original titles. There may be some issues with 4ED using this timeframe though, as I believe 4ED occurs far in the future from the 2ED/3ED timeframes?
    2. I could possibly even go for a recreation of the original game, but on a current gaming engine. I guess you’d need to change some things to keep it somewhat fresh, but with as often as I’ve replayed the original games over the years, a big overhaul and update of that story might actually work nicely. I’d say this is highly doubtful to occur, but I can say that I would almost certainly buy such a recreation. I’m sure many other diehard fans of the series would also. Let's face it, they're never going to top this story.
    3. Tell the story of one of the Bhaalspawn’s descendants. After all these years of waiting, I think I’d like to keep the Bhaalspawn theme somehow integrated into a new story. This would help draw a strong connection back to the original story, and avoid creating a game that is completely unrelated to the Baldur’s Gate series, but happens to share the name. A game that takes place in the city of Baldur’s Gate, but doesn’t relate to the original story would be a serious bummer for me, as the city of Baldur’s Gate in no way defines the series for me. Heck, it wasn’t even included in Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal. The Baldur’s Gate saga is all about the most gifted of the Bhaalspawn , and the follow up really needs to pay homage to this in a significant way.

Continuing the Bhaalspawn story where it left off (i.e. after you ascend to godhood, or at least god-like power) simply wouldn’t work, unfortunately. That story has run its course, and that character is just way too powerful. I’d hate to see that story extended and ruined. Maybe I’m wrong, and a demi-god who challenges other gods for their power, or fights entire armies single handedly could somehow be interesting… but I doubt this would be the right place to bring the series.

At any rate, I’m more than a little curious to learn what’s cooking – and if it’s something worthy of the title, hope it doesn’t get sh*t-canned before it is completed (as previous BG3 attempts have been).

---------- Added 0 hours, 14 minutes and 8 seconds later... ----------

And another thing, a lot of the original music should be reused. So much of that music was so amazing, and it would make my heart sing to hear it again in a "worthy" successor to the original game.

10. Topken

Guess we find out exactly whats going on in 12 hours. I will be reloading the page constantly at that time waiting to see whats going on.

11. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

Indeed.

I just hope the guys in charge are aware that if they don't live up to the hype, there's gonna be a wold of backlash!! :confused:
    They stirred the slumbering BG'fans quite a bit with this stunt!

12. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I like his latest tweet:

The fact that this is all obviously sarcasm is good news. It lessens the chance of this project having anything to do with Facebook or social gaming, and more to do with "previous stuffy RPGs".

Did I say I cannot wait?

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Anyone else half expecting the countdown to lead to a virus being put onto the website, or just me? :p

14. Marceror

Media:
    I'm half expecting Cylons to nuke the Earth, leaving only a remnant to travel the stars in search of a new home.

48 minutes until lights out!

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Probably just a countdown to a new countdown. :rolleyes:

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] "It's the penultimate countdown" just has too many syllables though :p We'll never fit it into a song!

17. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I am sure we can make the penultimate countdown work, just have to deal with it being sung faster where the syllables are too many..

Just like I proboably will be able to bend my mind around the BG-news, to make it seem like good news no matter what :)

It can work... It can work... It can work...

18. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Wait - I think it could work. Instead of

Code:
    IT'S THE FI ................. NAL ............... COUNTDOWN!
    We do

Code:
    IT'S THE P'NUL .............. T'MATE ............ COUNTDOWN!
    It would sound like "It's the nult-met countdown!" The "pen" part goes silent because we are just that cool and can do it if we want.

19. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] When did the music change on the site btw?

20. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Marceror voiced it well what it shouldn't and should be:

Great would be a new storyline separate from but somehow related to the Bhaalspawn, 'the lost Beatle' as you call it, or a story about the Bhaalspawn's descendants.

A HD remake would be nice as well.

Still I'm braced for disappointment, but I'm also anxious about what the people behind would feel if, for instance, they're prepared to launch an iPhone BG-app and have been able to see for weeks now how most of us would laught that. Image how they must be feeling now: they know what it will be, we don't, but maybe they already know by now what they've made won't be welcome. Perhaps. We'll see in 15 minutes!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.