1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate - BaldursGate.com Stirs

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Feb 29, 2012.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]As Darodin posts on our forums, the domain BaldursGate.com is suddenly alive, over a decade after the series' (then) conclusion. At the moment there isn't much to look at on the website - a single page with the logo, main theme music and an in-game quote. A Whois search reveals Trent Oster - former BioWare employee and founder of digital vendor Beamdog - as the registrant.

GameBanshee reached out to Trent who told them they were hoping to make an announcement soon.

One theory would be some sort of remake - you may recall Beamdog has previously released MDK2 HD, an official HD makeover for BioWare's old action/adventure.

The source code for the page is certainly suggestive, with text such as:

Hopefully we're not getting overly excited for nothing...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Update: The Escapist also has an article about this.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have different text on my page source...

Then at the bottom

So it's being updated regularly then?

4. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    All things put together (e.g. no new artwork/music hinted at, just the original; the fact that Beamdog already did a remake of MDK2) seem to indicate a modernized remake.
    But I hope for a new game, although that might be wishful thinking.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Either one would probably be nine years in the making. :p

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I wouldn't much care about a remake on devices other than PC, but on the PC it could potentially be nice. It's possible to modernize the original BG1 with mods, but it'd be nice to get a version suitable for today's computers and high resolutions right out of the box. I certainly haven't played the original in so many years that I'd be happy to give a modernized version a spin.

Oh and yes, as evidenced by Escapist's article, the html comments are getting changed regularly.

7. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

After going to 'Beamdog' website, looks to me it is similar to GOG. Am I wrong?

8. Taluntain

Media:
    It is quite similar, only they also have a divison for updating & upgrading older titles, like in the case of MDK2 mentioned in the first post. I don't think GOG's gone beyond just fixing up the games to run on modern computers.

9. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I love how Nathan Greyson from Maximum PC expressed himself when first finding out about this:

Linky

You want to believe it's a brand new BG, but after so many let downs, do you dare?

10. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I don't want to be a buzz kill, but if they do re-make it I hope the 3D graphics don't kill the atmosphere of the game. Also, will they still use 2nd edition?

11. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    There's the rub. Making a 3D version of BG (whether BG3 or a remake) doesn't make it BG; it just makes it a 3D BG flavored thing with more in common with NWN or random 3D game x than BG, even with the BG setting, story, and characters. BG has to be 2D iso IMO to be BG. (Lots of acronyms there, lol.)

12. Taluntain

Media:
    I very much doubt they'd remake the whole game in 3D - that'd be a very costly project. Far more likely they'll just bring the animations, videos, interface and resolutions up to scratch, but still keep the old maps and content. Of course, this is all wild speculation at this point so more or less pointless.

13. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I agree that this won't be a remake with 3D graphics ala NWN as this would imply much time and resources.

An argument, and I might be a bit off topic here:

BG2 is widely recognized as one of the best games of all time, it continues to retain a large fan base even after so many years since its release, and the majority of its fans fantasize about a sequel/prequel/whatever. So why, I ask, has no one decided to make a BG3 (as an example)? We know it would sell, I mean look at DA for instance, it called itself a "spiritual successor" of BG and it sold how many units?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a cheap 3D knockoff made only with the intention to capitalize on the potential of sales and steal our hard earned money. I'm talking about a real 2D drop-down-view successor, a game worthy of the coveted BG name.

Could it be fear of failure? The industry's ever-growing lust for greenbacks and its refusal to emphasize on quality? Or, is it a peer-induced pressure to concentrate on only the latest and greatest in terms of graphics and technology? Are the various PC component manufacturers pushing developers to concentrate on games that will force us to buy the latest GPU, CPU etc...? Whatever the reason is, it sucks!

Makes me almost want to quit my day job to become a developer, almost (wife would kill me).

14. Taluntain

Media:
    BG3 was in the making, but the project was cancelled. There were a couple of PR teases about it being in the making again a few years after that, but all the BG3 projects so far have been canned for one reason or another.

15. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't mind a 3D Baldur's Gate, if they took the PC view from DA:O's engine and worked on that. Made it more "solid" and "robust" from a 2D-perspective - pseudo-2D (isometric view was it, for BG2?) and only used 3D view for cutscenes and the like.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  16. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is some kind of test.
    Like waving a needle full of first grade junk in front of a former junky?

A third BG is an too epic thing for the mind to conceive.
    A HD make-over is still more likely. But we shall see I'm curious as hell!

17. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

The world definitely needs more D&D party based games. I want control of a whole party, not just one character and companions!

I'll be interested to see what it is. Depending on what their budget is, they could do a 3D remake, as long as it is fixed overhead camera. Third person camera would completely and utterly ruin it for me. It can be 3D as long as it is like Street Fighter 4 - on a fixed 2D plane.

2D HD remake would probably make the most sense. Perhaps they will remake the trilogy entirely?

I mean, BG1, as far as I know, was somewhat light on dialog compared to BG2. So they could add that in. And TOB was light on, well, everything, compared to BG2.

So maybe they will release Baldurs Gate HD: Episode 1 (The Iron Throne), Baldurs Gate HD: Episode 2 (Shadows of Amn) and Baldurs Gate HD: Episode 3 (Throne of Bhaal).

They could beef Episode 3 up with new quests, revised quests, more content and more dialog.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I reccomend anyone concerned about a remake with modern graphics to have a go at Dead Nation, HD graphics and 3D doesn't mean abandoning isometric view ;)

The IE engine already emulates 3D behaviour (2.5D) by using height and shadowing graphically but not calculated in anything more than visual. (It's subtle, put it that way!)

I'd be interested in seeing what happens with a remake, or spin off, or whatever, but that doesn't mean I'll put down the old disks for good either.

19. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

The site was updated yesterday as well. It states:

February 29, 2012
    Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine
    Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!

and close to the bottom of the script:

I can teach you how to use your wrath.

There is a comment on a youtube video teaser, from a newly created account that really hits the spot for me:

Please dont ruin this f.ing game. Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  20. Taluntain

Media:
    I certainly hope that's fake, because if they can't even spell Baldur's Gate right, then dear God help us.

Edit: ah, yes, fake new Baldur's Gate trailer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.