1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommendation for an NPC Mod

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Is it in the same directory as the BG2 executable? Not in a subdirectory or separate download location?

2. Smiling Imp Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yeah, you need to put it in this folder
    Code:
    Black Isle\BGII - SoA
    (or whatever your game file folder is called) and then run the .exe.. Sorry, my README file is kinda skimpy and needs some revision. :o

Hey guys, Smiling Imp here to say thanks for playing the mod and here to take any of your questions and listen to feedback.

Here is the link for the newest version.
    http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=24604

Added some character checks so the you can play other versions of NPCs out there and this one without problems. I also changed Xan's starting location to the Slaver prison in the Slums. let me know what you guys think and thanks again. :thanks:

3. Myrkul Gems: 2/31

You might like Soulafein. He's pretty balanced and is a very decent F/M. The mod can be a bit frustrating though. Especially when you have to fight the Eclipse party in TOB. That fight is tedious but very rewarding. Aside from that it is very well written and Soulafein interacts with pretty much everyone.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    :doh: I am SUCH an idiot....

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hence, the name . . .

:p

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Exactly. A couple other questions here, although the mod does appear to be working - now that I've actually put it in the right place. I'm having some problems finding everyone. I've found Tiax, Shar-Teel, and Kivan for example.

However, the mod says it opens up the forest area so you can pick up Coran, but I've not seen such. It doesn't appear on the world map.

Also, I'm interested in picking up Yeslick, and I've no clue where he is - any ideas?

EDIT: The woods now seem to be open - I think the problem was I tried to continue an existing game. Once I started the new game, it's OK.

Still don't know where Yeslick is though.

The mostly missile party is on hold though. I want to try an all multi-classed party, just for the ridiculous amount of HLAs I'd get. That's why I'm after Yeslick, as I don't really want anymore thieves. Jan and Coran are plenty.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Smiling Imp Gems: 2/31

Yeslick will be standing next to Skie in the Southern end of the Bridge District.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Come to think of it, I had not found her either, but I wasn't specifically looking for her, so I had not even noticed that I had not yet found her. (I haven't been to the south part of the bridge district - just far south enough to do the Tanner quest.) Thanks!

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, I've found Yeslick, and he is the freakin' man in this version. Exceptional strength, 19 constitution, and decent dexterity. Basically, take everything you remember about Yeslick from BG1, make it better, and that's what you get out of Yeslick in this mod. (And I'll actually get to use Dwarven Thrower, which I rarely purchase.)

However, I'm still having some issues with acquiring Coran. I assumed the area where Coran was located was available, as I saw that the area "Small Teeth Pass" was opened. That's one of the three little areas that normally open up after you leave the Underdark. However, the Forest of Tethir, which is where you find Coran was not opened. I figured if I traveled to Small Teeth pass and exited from another part of the map that I'd get access to the area areas. Alas. I do not. So I'm confused as to how to get to Coran before Chapter 6.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Aldeth,

Did you completely explore the 2 areas of the forest? I had him in my party a few restarts ago...

I am actually having 2 issues with this mod.

1st - Shar-Teel leaves my party everytime I do the Monty-Xzar quest. She leaves right after teh Harper Assassin kills Xzar. I can still go back to Prebek's House and pick Monty and Xzar up, butu Shar-Teel is gone and did not go back to the Copper Coronet.

2nd - Even with Skie in the party, I cannot trigger a dialogue with Eldoth to get him to join my party. Rather frustrating. I like to try all the new characters at least once...

Hopefully the Smiley Imp sees this post....:)

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    There aren't two areas for me to explore - the only outdoor area that is normally opened in Chapter 6 is the Small Teeth Pass, which is that little area, with the bridge in the middle - Ankhegs and Werewolfs on the left side, Vampiric Mists on the right. I explored every part of it I could explore, although I do not think there is any means of reaching the northwestern portion of that map area.

I don't necessarily need Coran right now though. I'm going to do the Planar Sphere next, and so I'll have Valygar accompany me back to Athkatla, and I'll drop Minsc who conveniently goes back to the Copper Coronet. (I'm playing a mutli-classed F/M, so I'll do the Planar Sphere before the D'Arnise Keep.) Since Minsc is the person I'm dropping for Coran, it's not a big deal, provided I can still get Coran before leaving for the Underdark.

If I hadn't already planned this group out, I would have taken Skie along with me, as much as I dislike the idea of having a single classed, non-kit thief in the party (that and I like Safana and Alora better). I imagine she'll have some interesting interactions in the Underdark based on the opening dialog.

I also definitely want to put together another evil party. I wouldn't mind picking up Korgan and Kaigan - who I haven't run into in the Promenade either, but I assume it's just that I haven't looked hard enough. He's got to be there somewhere. It's just that I don't think there will be room for two dwarven fighters. That party will be Kaigan, Tiax, Shar-Teel, Montoron, and Xzar. Based on your comments, I'll make sure I get Monty and Xzar BEFORE speaking to Shar-Teel, even if it means keeping a couple of good companions with me to clear out Prebek's house.

Overall, it's a great mod though - it makes the game new again. I got nailed trying to do the Circus Tent too early. All was fine until I ran into Basilisks. Given that I don't think there's any in BG2, it's not like I any source of protection from petrification on me.

If it's not too much to ask Mr. Smiling Imp, could you give us a brief description of where to find the various NPCs? Or just expand on this list...

Ajantis - initial encounter in the Windspear Hills
    Alora - ???
    Branwen - Appropriately enough, right outside Helm's temple in the Temple District.
    Coran - Assuming right where he was in the original, but how to open the Forest of Tethir area?
    Eldoth - ???
    Faldorn - ToB only
    Garrick - Haven't run into him yet, but presumably you can meet him outside the Order of the Radiant Heart building in the Temple District in the evening.
    Kagain - Waukeen's Promenade - but where?
    Montaron and Xzar - back in Prebek's House after completing the Harper Quest
    Quayle - after completing the Circus Quest
    Safana - ???
    SharTeel - inside the Copper Coronet, right after you get inside the back area leading to the slave holding cells.
    Skie and Yeslick - southern part of Bridge District, near where you find the red clothed guy from the buried alive quest.
    Tiax - right next to the circus tent.
    Xan - ??? (not that I want him - one of my least favorite BG1 characters)

12. Smiling Imp Gems: 2/31

The coding is a little tricky on this part. When you get to the Small Teeth Pass, leave the area immediately, or that is, go out where you just came from.. that should open the next area. Repeat the process until the Forest of Tethir is revealed.

Hmm.. Sounds like an interjection by Shar-Teel is transferring over the actions for the Harper Assassin. A 'passback', or switching the dialog back to assassin should stop Shar-Teel from leaving. I'll check it out and fix it for the next version.

Theoretically, Eldoth will only appear at night if you have Skie in the party, and if you don't speak with him, he should vanish and reappear until it is night time again. I'll check the dialog triggers for the encounter to see where the offending code lies.

Thanks for bringing these issues to my attention, Blades, I'll work on getting them fixed for the next version of the mod. Hopefully these bugs do not stop you from enjoying the rest of the mod in the meantime.

Cheers.. :beer:

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are 2 areas available. The Pass and the Forest...

The Readme file gives most of the locations away, but for convenince sake...

Ajantis - initial encounter in the Windspear Hills - KILL TAZOK

Alora - ??? - Promenade- Inside the Armorer/Fletcher Store

Coran - Assuming right where he was in the original, but how to open the Forest of Tethir area? Have to re-check....

Eldoth - ??? - In the Graveyard, only at night, must have Skie in your Party

Garrick - Haven't run into him yet, but presumably you can meet him outside the Order of the Radiant Heart building in the Temple District in the evening. - No, you meet him there, then after that encounter you meet him in the Bridge District, at the Five Flagons

Kagain - Waukeen's Promenade - Lower Right side of the Promenade, that area was previously empty I believe.

Safana - ??? - With Coran

Xan - ??? - Slums - Inside the Slaver's Ship, Southern Cell in the middle of the ship.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You see, that's the thing - I only have the Pass available. I'll try the Imp's trick of re-entering the Pass, and then exiting immediately.

Oh FFS - thankfully you told me that - I think I have been in that store exactly once, as they sell nothing of significance, and I could have played this game for the next ten years straight and not gone inside again.

I probably would have figured both of them out eventually, just by chance of having those parameters being met.

Well that's rather disturbing - I know I've exited the Promenade around that area before, I must have walked right past him! I'll have to re-check that.

:doh: and she gets insta-gibbed, so you won't be picking her up anyway.

Must have walked right past him...

15. Smiling Imp Gems: 2/31

Spot on,
    except Garrick will be found inside the Sea's Bounty Tavern in the docks.
    :D

16. Blades of Vanatar

No Problem Sir Imp. Thanks for the Mod, good stuff!

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Now what??? I saved Coran and he leaves. Does he go to a pub somewhere? If so, where?

18. Smiling Imp Gems: 2/31

You can find him and Safana at the Temple in the Slums.

19. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I'm so much looking foreward to compleeting BG1, and I'm only in Durlags Tower...

Besides BG1 NPC in SoA I'd try Khalid :)

Cheers

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The one on the top of the Copper Coronet? That's another place I have been to like twice. When he said he was going to drown his sorrows (or something to that effect) in Athkatla, I went back and started checking all the taverns. Obviously, I didn't find him.

EDIT: But I do absolutely love this mod. Yeslick has a TON of banters and interjections throughout the game. I also get a kick out of his response when you have a high reputation - he whistles the first few bars from the dwarves song in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves".

I have not only this game, but the next two planned out. I'm actually thinking I am going to like parties the best that have a combination of BG1 and BG2 NPCs. I'm going to have to do an all-evil party with Shar Teel, Kaigan, Tiax, Monty, Xzar (yes, I know Edwin is better, but all mages get pretty powerful by the end of SoA). I'm thinking the PC that would best fit that party is a cleric/mage, as I only have one arcane magic source, and the only divine magic source is a multi-class.

I'm also thinking about a goody two shoes party consisting of Keldorn, Mazzy, Ajantis, Anomen (passing test of course) and Sarelith, along with a PC Undead Hunter. I'll have a paladin of every flavor - Keldorn is an Inquisitor, Sarelith is a Cavalier, I'm an Undead Hunter, and Ajantis is a vanilla paladin. Too bad I'll be using both the Purifier and Carsomyr, and I can only upgrade one of them in ToB.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.