1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ban on Magic

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Atorian Paladin, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Atorian Paladin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

When in Athlatika, the cowled wizards tell you that you cant use magic. Does the ban refer to just Arcane magic, or does it include the use of devine magic as well?

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No, Let cleric fire at will!! :D

3. Atorian Paladin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ok, ecause whenever i got into a fight in the city,I always turned AI off. I only have one mage, so i think i can keep him from casting any spells.

How much is it to buy a liscense?

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    about 2000 gp i think

5. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

no it's 5000. but do you really want to pay off the buttheads that kidnapped Imoen? They are a piece of cake to kill, if you have Jaheira, or maybe another priest, not sure, but I know Jaheira can take them. :evil:

6. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If you don't pay up, first time you get a warning (*wince*), then about five attacks (they have nice spell scrolls and sometimes Laeral Tear Necklaces - 1800 gp each !), and last time Zellanora and friends appear. They almost always drop 8-9 level spell scrolls.
    After you kill them (fast melee, spells, whatnot, just kill Zellanora (elf) first, she casts Imprisonment), you can use magic at your leisure.

7. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You can also use magic inside buildings or during the "You have been waylaid by enemies..." ambushes without triggering a visit from the Cowled Wizards.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Clerics and Druids are exempt from the rules. They don't mind if your cleric gates in a demon, but they attack you if your mage casts friends. :rolleyes:

Zallanora also has an infinite supply of Monster Summoning 3 too. So you can't really wait it out, and be prepared to be surrounded by Ogre Berserkers and Ettercaps.

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

I found it's best to position your mage in the centre of the pentagram, with your party members at every angle.
    Then the mage casts the spell, and Cowlies vs Zellanora appear. Two or three party members kill her straight away, others are easier.

I've also found this bug: if a mage is invisible, the party is away from the mage and mage runs away from Cowlies, as well, they begin to attack each other. Cat-fight, so to say. ;)

10. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Haha, I'd never seen that.. I'll have to try it out :)

11. Minh So Gems: 6/31

No, that's very creative of them, they only do that if you approach them invisible. I think they need someone to target their spell (although greater malison and chaos don't need to target - but maybe the computer is too stupid that they can't target a random postion :D ), I usually play with them when I got the staff of magi, sometime they cast power word silence on the other (then fight, that's it :shake: )

12. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Just use Jaheira's summon swarm. They won't be able to cast any spells, though one or two may get away from the swarm, they won't pose much threat, and you can dismember them at your leisure. :evil: :lol:

13. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When fighting the wizard's little SWAT team, I usually use the following:

If I have a thief with good set snares, I leave a few on the ground where I'll be casting.

Clear the rest of the party out of sight, and have a mage/bard cast invisibilty.

Listen to the "You have been warned . . ." speech, make rude and offensive gestures in their direction.

Move just out of sight, and begin pounding them with area of effect attacks. Cloudkill is great, Ice Storm is pretty good too. Fireball is a good finisher.

Needless to say, do this in an area without bystanders. I like the NE corner of the Promanade map.

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What about magical items, eg. spider figurine, wands etc? - do these get you in trouble with the Cowled Wizards?

15. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Wands ? No
    Figurine ? No
    Bhaal abilities ? No
    Item's abilities ? No
    Scrolls ? yes
    Keldorn sword ? Yes :(

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

There's a fix at Baldurdash that allows player to have Keldorn in the party with his sword and Cowled ones won't appear if the sword deals magical damage. Very convenient

17. Wil Gems: 6/31

Everybody agrees this Keldorn thing is a bug? (I do)

If so, it's a shame it was overlooked. It's obvious the first minutes you play Keldorn.

18. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Same thing happens when you use Kelsey's cloak ability. That was kind of irritating when it happened, especially since I'd already been warned at the time.

Two strikes and you're out in Amn.

19. Atari Man Gems: 6/31

You still can cast spells indoors. Most of the main battles that require spell assistance are indoors. So besides wimpy thugs or slavers on the streets you shouldn't be fighting that much outdoors in Athkatla.

20. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The fallen paladins and gith come to mind. Though I have never really felt the use for arcane spells really. Jaheira casts call lightening and insect swarm and everyone falls down. Iirc Keldron's sword bug is fixed in either fixpack.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.