1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gesen Cheese

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Bsisi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, OK, it's not so bad with Gesen and Firetooth. But how do you explain the other weapons (Tashernon, sling of ??)?

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I don't consider it cheese as well.
    Consider a weapon like Flail of the Ages: It has 'unlimited' ammunition and to its regular damage is added some good amount of elemental damage.
    Why shouldn't some top gear 'magical' bows enhance the damage of arrows by 'magical' means ^^?
    It doesn't unbalance the game vs melee weapons in favor to bows, anyway.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm conservative by nature, and a bit of a pack-rat. My play style reflects this in ALL games. I see magic arrows as a limited resource (save for the quiver of plenty), but do not view normal arrows as a scarce resource at all. In fact, I treat it like there is an infinite number of them.

I use the ease-of-use patch to let me stack up to 5,000 arrows (or was it nearly infinite in BG2, I forgot which ease-of-use did which between BG1, BG2, and IWD. At least one of them only let you stack 5,000. Doesn't matter).
    I usually wind up with something like 500-600 normal arrows (split between Minsc, Imoen and Yoshimo) from Irenicus' Dungeon alone, and get a ton more in most of the quests. So, I like to shoot off the normal arrows first. Of course, once I get to Watcher's Keep and get the quivers of plenty I'll [ab]use those for my shooter with the highest THAC0 (to give him/her a better chance to hit).
    I never buy normal arrows in the game as a result. I don't think I ever usually buy bolts either. I do buy darts if somebody uses them, and I'll buy throwing axes or throwing daggers. Particularly if I'm using a kensai or cavalier or if my mage has a proficiency in daggers rather than darts or slings. Then again, I'll [ab]use Firetooth and Boomerang Dagger ASAP.

Thus, I'll try to use the cheapest stuff first, then the more expensive stuff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Regarding buying regular arrows, bolts, or sling bullets, no - there's never any need to purchase them. (You may have to buy bolts or bullets in BG1, as few enemies carry them, but never in BG2.) You're definitely right about there being several hundred arrows available in Irenicus' Dungeon alone - I don't even bother picking all of them up - and you'll find a couple hundred bolts and bullets too (all of the duergar dwarves you find there have one or the other). It also seems like a good number of the street thugs you encounter have bolts. With slings, it's less common, but I have never run out of them either. That's probably because most of the characters that use slings (mages, clerics) only fire once per round. Even if your character isn't specialized in bows, they can still fire twice per round, so your burn rate is at least double. (Any character using Tuigan available pretty much right after you leave Irenicus' Dungeon would be at 3, and Mazzy armed with Tuigan bow can actually fire 5 arrows per round.)

I'm pretty sure the quiver/case/bag of plenty are all available in the top level of Watcher's Keep, and all are available WITHOUT having to activate the altar to head down to the second level. It should be relatively easy to get in, get the ammo, and get out. I don't typically do this, as I prefer to be of sufficient level to not just start, but finish WK when I go there (which for me is right after battling Gromnir). As such, I do not know if Cromwell is capable of upgrading the case/quiver/bag of plenty to the +2 version, or if that is a service only Cespenar provides. If Cromwell can, that would obviate the need of picking up all normal, +1, and +2 varieties of arrows. You may still want to carry around some acid/fire/cold arrows, as - assuming the enemy isn't immune - they actually do more damage than +2 arrows.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't think Cromwell can upgrade the Case or Quiver of Plenty. I never did Watcher's Keep until ToB but I assume Cromwell can only create the items that can be completed during SoA without doing Watcher's Keep.

(I wonder if you could CLUA in Cespenar during SoA and have him upgrade the Case or Quiver... Now, THAT would be cheesy! :D)

The Bag of Plenty is found in Yaga-Shura's lair in ToB so Cromwell won't be able to do anything with that.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You can go to Watcher's Keep straight away to get the quiver and case of plenty as they are indeed at the top level and easily available. The amount of guardian statues that appear on the top level are based on your (party's?) level when you first enter the Watcher's Keep. It may happen that therefore the statue with Foebane doesn't spawn, or at least it appears to have happened to someone here on these boards.

Something to keep in mind, anyway.

Cromwell doesn't upgrade the case and quiver of plenty, but there is a component of BG2Tweaks (or BG2Fixpack, I forget) that allows him to upgrade these and other ToB items that you can find in WK.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.