1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unluckiest Mugger Ever?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
  2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    LOL, Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.l

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    that and he's going to jail for a while.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The would be mugger already has a few prior convictions, so yeah, he's definitely going to have a lot of time to rest and heal his injuries in prison. The funniest thing about the whole engagement is that the mugger pulled a gun on him. While one may have been able to make the argument that the MMA fighter responded with excessive force if he merely tried to rob him, by drawing a gun on him, any argument of excessive force goes out the window. When your life is in danger, there's no such thing as excessive fore. You can even say the guy got off easy by only getting beaten to a bloody pulp.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Not to be pedantic, but yes there is. You're only at liberty to meet force with force when a threat exists, so as soon as an assailant with a firearm is disarmed and the threat is neutralized in whatever way, you're at the end of your rope as far as beating him goes. You don't get to deliver a beating as punishment for being gravely threatened.

(I assume that in this case, all of the mugger's injuries were incurred during the struggle to disarm and disable him, which, as is usually the case in the real world, would mean that the encounter was more than likely a messy and dirty groundfight that was probably not entirely one-sided, despite the MMA guy's expertise.)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, yes you're right, but I thought that much went without saying. When you have a gun pointed at you, you're pretty much at liberty to do whatever the hell you like, up to and including killing the other guy, to extricate yourself from the situation. But like you said, in the case here, the guy was injured during the attempt to neutralize him. The article even states that the gunshot wound on the mugger was fired into his foot as they struggled for control of the gun. But yeah, you can't subdue the guy and then continue with the beatdown.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Of course you can . . . it's just not technically legal. Let me give you an actual example witnessed by me, many years ago.

Before I came out to the land of milk and honey (or Botox and money, YMMV), I worked a year for Citibank in NYC.

One day at a corner somewhere near Times Square, I witnessed the following:

Light changes and people walk into the street to cross. Crazy bike messenger guy, going as fast as he can, blows through the light and plows into a woman crossing the street (she was legally crossing, he was illegally plowing). They go down in a heap and he gets up and starts to hit her (like it was her fault).

Two strapping gentlemen get into the middle of it, separate him from her, and start kicking the crap out of the messenger guy. They do this for a number of minutes (I no longer recall how long, but it was quite a while).

Eventually, the two cops who had watched the whole thing wander up and separate the guys from the messenger, saying, basically, I think he's had enough. Then they arrested the messenger guy.

:)

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Who was the MMA fighter, any idea?

9. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I'm wondering who it is too. I saw it mentionned he was a UFC fighter and champion. But if it was true or just poor journalism, I don't know. but I guess it wasn't the heavyweight champion, or else the mugged is more stupid than we realized... :lol:

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not recognizing a UFC champion doesn't equate with being "stupid"; it just means you don't follow MMA. Which isn't to say the guy isn't stupid for other reasons. :)

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    On the story I linked, the MMA fighter requested not to be identified in the press. As the victim, that is his right. No such luck for the mugger though.

12. Gaear

Media:
    Like how he apparently missed mugging 101: always target identifiably low-risk individuals - the elderly, single females, etc. There's no guarantee they won't shoot you, but it's much less likely they'll go all MMA on your ass. :heh:

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think the idea is that if the victim were a heavyweight, or even a light heavyweight, he'd be a pretty big and imposing guy. Not the type usually targetted by these thieving sacks of crap.

Given the UFC's policy that a fighter waits until the referee stops the fight, the mugger is lucky that the vic's training didn't kick in or he might have REALLY got the living crap beaten out of him!

I know what you guys are saying about the law, but in terms of morality, if you threaten someone's life, you deserve to have your own placed in jeopardy. I hate criminals. They piss me off (that one was for Splunge!)

14. Gaear

Media:
    Like Aldeth mentioned above, the attacker's life could very much be put in jeopardy during that magic window when his threat needed to be (and legitimately could be) neutralized. For example, when you've got a gun pointed at you, it's okay to shoot and kill the guy (if you happen to be armed yourself). Or in the MMA guy's case, he could have delivered some kind of deathly strike in response to the gun being pointed at him and that would be okay. No prosecutor would say you overreacted if your life was in imminent peril when you acted, because there is no going too far as long as your life is threatened. It only gets slippery when you do stuff like the pharmacy guy from that other thread everybody was fighting in way back.

15. Triactus

Media:
    Yeah, LKD resumed my thoughts. I didn't mean he was stupid because he didn't recognize the heavyweight fighter and knew he was good at MMA. I meant he would have to be stupid if he attacked a heavyweight MMA fighter, i.e. a big strong muscular man. Although, i'll give it to you if it was Roy 'Big Country' Nelson. :lol: (for those who don't know him, go google his picture. Not the mental picture of what a MMA fighter should look like).

As for self-defense, I believe it's open game if the person is armed, but the person is incapacitated, running away or surrendering, I believe it's a crime if the victim inflicts heavy damage on him. Once the mugger/thief/aggressor is no longer a threat, no violent action should be taken against him. and I believe the law also goes that way.

On a side note, while I didn't really agree with the methods, my former dog trainer told me a very funny story. He has four dogs (two pitbulls, a doberman and a mix of Rottweiler, golden retriever and Pitbull). He used his dogs as lab rats for his training programs so they were very well trained (in defense and attack too). One morning, he goes off to work. Half way there, he noticed he forgot his work keys so he goes back to his house. He finds the front door ajar. 'hun... weird'. He goes inside and calls his dogs, but they don't come. He went through the house, and he finally found his dogs in the basment... alll sitting in front of one of their cages... with a panicked burglar, pants shredded in it (he hid from the dogs in the cage). :lol: The trainer then called his boss to tell him he wasn't coming in today. He sat there and for the next ten hours, he insulted the burglar, gave him dog food when the burglar said he was hungry, told him he was free to go any time he chose (but the burglar would of course have to face the dogs), ect. Around 10 at night, he finally called the police to have him picked up... I think the burglar's criminal career might have ended... :D

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :D

Way off topic, but Tri, while the dog story was funny, did the trainer face any consequences? While I'm no lawyer, I'm thinking that maybe there could have been something like unlawful confinement charges. OTOH, he did tell the burglar he was free to go anytime, so maybe (hopefully) nothing came of it.

17. Triactus

Media:
    Like I said, I don't really agree with what he did and I believe he should have been charged with something. But I believe he told the police he just caught the burglar right before he called the police. At that point, it's both of their stories against each other but I would suspect the burglar doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in the police's eyes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.