1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No config.exe. file after install

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Biclops, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Biclops Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I just reinstalled Icewind Dale 2 on a new computer (Vista) and found that there is no config.exe file after installation. I can run the game fine, but I need the config file so I can change the resolution and change the difficulty level (and select HOF mode).

I am installing from the original collector's edition of the game. I have used this CD on previous computers and have had no problem until now.

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the config.exe file?
    Thanks!

2. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

I can upload a copy of mine. Why was it not installed? Did Vista count it as a system file to be hidden?
    I just zipped and uploaded a copy. If the link below does not work you may need to copy and paste into your address bar:
    http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/Config.zip

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can try installing the game outside the programs folder which is protected in Vista or W7 and doesn't allow programs to write files there.

4. Biclops Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the advice and file. I have already installed the game outside the programs folder.

I think I've figured out the problem. When I downloaded your file, my antivirus program (McAfee) flagged it as a trojan and deleted it. It must have done the same thing during installation. I was able to turn off McAfee and download the file and then scan it with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes said the file was clean. As soon as I turned on McAfee, however, it found the file and called it a trojan again, deleting it. :(

5. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I suggest switching you anti-virus to either Avast! or MSE. Or find a way to tell McAfee that this is a false positive.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Doesn't McAfee give you the option to tell it it's FoS for a file it wants to delete/quarantine and to restore it?

7. Biclops Gems: 1/31

Yes, there is a way to tell McAfee to either trust the file or to send it to McAfee for analysis. I've been trying to do the latter, but get an error message when I try to send it. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My similar story...

I've been using AVG (?) Free for a long time without problems/issues. I was on line yesterday searching job sites when all of a sudden, AVG comes up with a threat involving the 'IWD 2 Config.exe' file on my older computer (XP) and wanted to isolate it. I let it as I was quite busy at the moment and planned on looking into it later.
    Flash forward an hour or so... I'm now on my newer computer (Win 7). Same thing happens.
    I'm thinking that this is a false positive. My IWD 2 CD was not in either computer at the time, so, I'm thinking that I can take the 'known good IWD 2 Config.exe file' from that and put it in the proper place and when AVG flags it again, I can tell it that it is good and not isolate it.

Will this work?

9. Pyroreaver Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think atari just release the W7 version last month for all the bioware d&d games and called it the d&d anthology, anyone tried it to see if it works well for W7? I also think they did not change it to 64 bits though (not that you need to, but those massive battles can be much much smoother, esp for Temple of Elemental Evil)

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Norton 2010 and 2011 also fail to give you the option to mark a file as safe. Somehow you are supposed to send it to Symantec for analysis, but I couldn't figure out how to do that without the program automatically deleting it before I could do so. I wound up putting it on my Win98SE machine (No AVG updates in years, so I switched to Avast!) in a read-only share to do so, but I got so frustrated with the Norton from Comcast that I uninstalled it and put in AVG.
    Oh, I never saw the alert about IWD2, s
    I haven't even tried Norton 2012. Note that this was a different file that caused the problem two years ago.
    Although I haven't gotten the alert from AVG even though it's installed on the XP side of the win98/xp dual, and I have all the Infinity Engine games installed only on my old win98/xp computer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.