1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

High level spell selection help needed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Jondar, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi all!
    Here's the situation:
    I'm about to enter the battle with Draconis...
    Imoen is my main spellcaster. She has 5 Level 9 known spells:
    (Can only memorize 2).
    Time Stop, Comet, Energy Drain, Spellstrike, and Freedom.

Question: Is Draconis like Balthazar(Sp.)? In the sense that Draconis is immune to Time Stop?

If yes, then my selection is easy; Energy Drain and Spellstrike.

If no, then 1st memorized spell will definitely be Time Stop.
    2nd choice:
    What would you select as the 2nd memorized spell: Energy Drain or Spellstrike (and why)?

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I assume yo have no mods installed, so your spells are not altered. Spell Revisions really upgrade some of the spells, hence changing most of the spell picks.

Anyway, Comet and Energy Drain are not great as they don't bypass MR and thus not so useful. Even though they bypass MR, the effects are not that great. Freedom is a need-by-case spell and this is not such a case. Spellstrike can be nice to have, but other low level spells can have the same effect in a few castings. Draconis is not immune to Time Stop so starting the battle with a Time Stop is always useful. Why didn't you pick the Improved Alacrity HLA? It's by far the most powerful HLA, with Robe of Vecna it is an insanely powerful combo. Time Stop+Improved Alacrity, set game to pause when spell cast from options menu, and go NUTS! In your situation, I would go Double Time Stop when True Sight is active and then Pierce Shield/Pierce Magic/Breach/Lover Resistancex2 the dragon.

3. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Thanks Silverstar!

The only mod I have installed is 'Dungeon Be Gone'. (No relevance to this situation!) Although I'm keeping the other mods in mind for future use.

I think it's time for another trek back to town to pick up 'Improved Alacrity' before facing Draconis.

I have also heard about a halberd (Dragon's Bane?) that is pretty devastating against dragons. I have it in one of my Holding Bags. I may try that after bringing Sarevok back into the team (temporarily replacing Minsc or Valygar).

I've finished the game once a long time ago, but, don't remember how I managed. I only remember that it was a struggle and fairly frustrating (several reloads). Of course, I didn't have the experience that I have now. (Nowhere near your intimate knowledge. :-) I have started this "episode" just recently and am already at this point. (Yaga Shura was much easier this time and fell without reloading or any team member dying). I struggled some with Sendai and had a few reloads before winning.

Thanks again!!!

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You can only get improved alacrity on level up, as it is a HLA, not a spell found on a scroll.

5. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Duh!!!

DMC: I found that out as soon as I hit town. It was then that I realized it was on level up.:facepalm:

6. Pyroreaver Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

timestop + IAlacrity +vecna is the best combo ever. on top of what silverstar said, you can summon a few monsters to mis direct. thats the standard stratagy.

if your still having trouble, read the spoiler for the easy way. Read it only when you are having trouble and you can see how powerful a mage can really be

the 6th lvl spell sunfire bypasses MR so when you timestop with IA+vecna. walk up to it and unload your sunfire. usually takes about 6 sunfires (that was from experience, you can calculate how many you really need). if you dont have enough sunfires, then use project image, do the above and repeat with another PI. i generally hve at least 3 mages in my group so 2 rounds of sunfire is enough. Or you can Chain contigency 3 PI and set it happening when see enemy.

7. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Why not timestop twice?

Also once you have imp alacrity have the mage wear the amulet of power as it also reduces casting time along with the robe of vecna. In one time stop you can eliminate defenses and reduce MR and the second you can unleash all of your spells which can include sequencers and all of your low level spells. It may not look like it but against one target if you use all of your magic missiles, acid arrows, and flame arrows from your 1-3 slots (and believe me with all of those casting reduce items you can in one time stop) you can kill many single targets. It is just a ton of damage and it will not endanger your party like sunfire can (though it is the better choice with more planning or should I say it is your first spell to cast and then you start casting stuff like this).

8. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

remember to enabl0e the auto-pause on cast when activating timestop+improved alicraty and weraing amu of power and robe of vecna. as it will immediately pause after the spell i cast, enabling you to begin casting another (of round 1 because of reduced casting time) afterwards.
    for optimal havoc

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.