1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Possible Bug?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Fathus, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Fathus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all!

I have noticed after the last two weeks that all is not well with my Baldurs Gate. I have just completed candlekeep and am now scouting the sewers of BG in exile. The problem is this:

1) Why is it that whenever I get arrested, there are more than 50,000 guards, and when they arrest me, either my game freezes or things are ridiculously slow in the flaming fist headquaters?? I have been arrested 5 times and their are already 5 Angelo's waiting for me in the dungeon foyer!

2)Why are certain characters (Not my own or recruitable NPC's) multiplying so that when they speak to me, I have to answer like 4 or 5 of their "clones"?:o

Has anyone else experienced this? I am so close to the end and really dont want the game to bomb out on me now.

Any advice?

2. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It sounds like your game is unpatched and you've encountered the Global Variables bug. I never encountered it myself as all my games are patched, but this is the sort of behaviour that is reported to happen to unpatched games when this bug pops in. Patches can be found on the http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_misc.php - be careful to pick the right one for your region.

3. Fathus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi Son Of Imoen

Thanks for your reply and feedback. To give you the full story, I actually orderd these games from the US via amazon.com. It was the 4-in-1 pack and all went well with the initial installation of BGI. After having reached Chapter 5 I decided to install ToSC which would not work. After the installation and on attempting to play the game, I would get an error message stating that the game would not work outside the US/Canada. I then visited Sorcerer's place and downloaded a patch that would allow me to play the expansion and everything worked fine. I have finished the whole of ToSC and Candlekeep and I'm now getting ready for Sarevok's Corronation. As soon as I finished Candlekeep all these issues started as mentioned in my first post.

If I install the ToSC patch as per your link, which should be installed (As far as region is concerned)? And will it have any effect on the patch I have already installed? :confused:

Appreciate your help.

4. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Out of curiosity, what is your rep? A really low rep will cause the guards to dog pile you no matter the location.

5. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31

Sorry for a late reply, this forum has no e-mail notification, so I wasn't aware of your new post.

The patch you need is BGTalesUS5512, the US-patch. Isn't this the one you already installed? You've solved the 'will not work outside Canada/US' and this is the patch that would normally do that. The proper way to go would be to install BG + TOTSC + TOTSC patch before starting the game. I wouldn't know what the effect is on an ongoing game. I've read of people having their problems with this bug solved with an ongoing campaign patched, but the best chance for a bug-free game is a fresh patched install and a new game.

take notice of Sparky's post however:

The spamming of Flaming Fist guards attacking starts with a chance of 10% of them coming to attack you at reputation 5. If you start killing Flaming Fist warriors, your reputation plummets. It just takes killing two Flaming Fist guards after your return from Candlekeep to have your reputation drop 12 points. So the above remark by Sparky is very valid: it might not even be a bug, but a feature.

edit: having re-read your first post: clones of Angelo or other NPC's is no feature but definitely a bug. And I guess what you meant to tell is you've installed BG + Baldur's Gate 1.1.4315 patch + TOTSC in that order. I guess the best thing to try now, is go and install that TOTSC-patch on top of it and to hope it solves the bug. You've got a fair chance it will, but no guarantee, as the guarantee would lie in re-installing in the BG+TOTSC+TOTSC-patch order and start a new game.

I hope you'll manage to finish this one.

One tip: copy-paste your whole BG-install to a different location before applying the patch. If things get even worse, you can go back by deleting your install + copy-pasting the back-up back to its original place. (the registry will keep pointing to the point of the original install, so if you want to start afresh, don't delete but de-install using the Configuration Screen with your install in-place!)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It certainly has e-mail notification (under Thread Tools), you just need to turn it on, like pretty much everywhere else.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31

found it. Thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.