1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting ahead regarding the K>M

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by sarevok66, Sep 1, 2011.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

hi, i haven't yet dual-classed my solo kensai to a mage but it should happen soon enough, so as i'm fairly a newb when it comes to spellcasting, i'd like to know which are the spells essentials to learn in order to win the following fights without even getting damaged: Amelissan, Ravager and Demogorgon

which kind of protective and offensive scrolls should i absolutely get to accomplish such feats ? and high level mage abilities also

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if you could do those fights without getting damaged. I just dont think its possible, especially not against the ravager and demogorgon.

One spell I think you'll need is Tenser's Transformation, 6th level spell. Another is Improved Haste, also 6th level. Protection from Energy is another 6th level spell that protects against magical energy attacks - I think this means any magical damage that is not elemental in nature.

Make sure to get protection from undead and protection from magic scrolls. Whoever you play as, these are useful.

Absolute immunity, 9th level spell, might be useful, although its very short duration. Timestop is a godly 9th level spell, and improved alacrity is a good HLA to go with it (especially with the robe of vecna!). Stoneskin is another useful 4th level protection spell.

Oh also look into mislead (6th level), simulacrum (8th level), abi dhalzim's horrid wilting (8th level) and bigby's clenched fist (8th level). Bigby's clenched fist is an absolutely terrible spell except in one respect - it holds an opponent for one round without a save. If your opponent doesnt have magical protections up, its an easy way to disrupt spellcasting.

3. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

thanks, i'll try and locate these scrolls, but what about protection from magical weapons and spell deflection (both 6th lvl) ? they seem pretty important also....

thats why i have problems with spellcasting, there are just too many spells to chose from, and some are redundant

4. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Spell Turning is a better version of spell deflection, I would use that instead. You can even use the cloak of mirroring obtained in the underwater city, whatever its called. That provides permanent spell turning I think, or at least permanent spell deflection.

Protection from magical weapons is a weaker version of absolute immunity as far as I know.

5. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

I had a glut of Healing potions, but then I had Cleric and Druid with Heal.

6. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

damn i'm pretty much stuck as a mage right now, he's lvl 10 and i dont know how to reach lvl 13 in order to unlock the kensai class again

do you guys know of any easy and rewarding side-quests in order to get the xp needed, because i dont think he's got what it takes to defeat the shade lord or complete the planar prison quest, he's just got a couple of magic missiles and summon lesser air elemental

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

At level 10 you should have fireball and even cloudkill.

Buy as many spell scrolls as you can, even if you dont need the spells. you gain experience from them.

The planar prison quest might be doable for a solo level 10 wizard. If you havent got any difficulty enhancing mods that affect the shade lord, then the shade lord quest will be doable too. In fact I would think the shade lord quest easier than the planar prison quest, as long as you dont fight the shadow dragon.

If you get lucky you might run across that harper quest in which you need to return the injured harper to the harper hold. That starts off a quest which has a decent experience reward.

Thief's stronghold? Not too hard. in fact I usually do that quite earlier, although I always play with a party of 6.

8. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

well the shade lord was doable, i even did the teddy bear quest (thats how desperate i am) but i'm still lvl 11 and the planar prison is undoable, i can't beat the bounty hunters...... mage might be the most powerful class but playing solo at low levels is really a pain

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How about Trademeet? That can give you pretty good experience and should be doable with a solo mage (or you can add Cernd briefly for his quest to the grove and then dump him).

10. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

do you mean the druid grove and the dao djinns ? done those already, and rescued Garren's child from Firkraag (thanks wand of cloudkill against Conster).... i'm at lvl 12 right now, just one level to go !

i'm going to try the planar prison and planar sphere, or maybe take on Aran Linvail, but i'd rather do this once my char's a kensai again

playing a mage again after so long has given me foresight of how powerful a K/M can really be.... this is gonna be fun, alas a little short-lived as i've completed most of the quests either as a kensai or as a mage

no when i solo i never take in any other character, thats why i always complete the druid grove the evil way (pouring sulphurous poison into the grove source)

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Protection from magical weapons makes you untouchable by most big enemy's attacks. Add stoneskin+mirror images and you can absorb quite a number of hits without taking normal damage, but Melissan's melee attacks do bonus elemental damage as well and Demogorgon's attacks are just plain nasty (level drain, powerful disease etc) so best bet is always keeping PFMW active. Also try to have spell immunity:abjuration on so enemies won't be able to dispel your protections outright. Time Stop is not to be used against Demogorgon and Melissan, they are immune to the effect and will rip your other characters apart in short notice, as expected.

Against magic using foes, Protection From Magic Energy (6th lvl) is a must to counter deadly Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting spell the liches just love to use. Protection from Fire is nice to have too, and when facing a dragon, protection from the dragon's elemental type is essential to survive its breath attack. Also do not fight a dragon without resist fear spell active or your characters will just run around in terror 'omg omg omg thats a frickin dragon we'r dead dead dead'.

Liches and Jon Irenicus also love to cast Wail of the Banshee. It's area effect and if you fail its saving throw, you are dead no matter how many protection spells you have. Only way to protect yourself is Spell Immunity:Necromancy (which protects agains heavy hitters such as ABDHW and Finger of Death, but makes you immune to healing spells as well) and Death Ward (cleric spell)

12. Jarno Mikkola Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Shouldn't that be two, cause a level 12 fighter is idiotic choice compared with the 13th level fighter and the extra +1/2 attack per round... and if we remember that the dual classed character needs to have a level more that exceed the original classes level.

I myself would do all this by cheating to have the XP for 14th level mage and then set it back to zero. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.