1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I just accidentally nuked my computer messing with Easy Tutu - please help!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dahlia The Unzipped, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Dahlia The Unzipped Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Let me begin by saying I HATE VISTA. :mad:

*ahem* Yes. Anyway, after beating BG2 for the umpteenth time I decided to get TOB. I found a cheap set of the entire Bhaalspawn saga on Amazon and decided to play through the whole thing. Being spoiled by the sequel I decided to install Easy Tutu to use the BG2 engine on BG1 as well as be able to use certain mods. Installing, uninstalling, reloading, undoing, I messed with it for the longest time but I simply didn't have room for even the spacesaver install. So I took it all down..or so I thought. BG2 won't let me play or uninstall it, even with a forced uninstall program. But today I did something that I think messed it all up forever; I tampered with the registry. :o

I saved before I did it though. Then I got weird error messages so I got the save out. More errors. System restore. Nothing. Oh dear.

Is there anything left that I can possibly do to fix this, or is my chance of even playing BG2 permanently FUBAR?

I just need a new computer. :facepalm:

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    You don't have the space for a Tutu install? How small is your HDD!?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What exactly is the problem at this point, messed up Windows or just the game? Can you get into Windows normally?

4. Dahlia The Unzipped Gems: 1/31

How big is my HDD? Good question.

Oh everything works normally, it's BG2 that doesn't work. It's not installed and gives me the Play option...which of course won't work since all it's components are gone, it won't show up in the Programs list so I read somewhere to uninstall the lines in the registry, like I said. That didn't really make it worse, per se, but it sure didn't help. :confused:

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Did you trying running the setup executable off the CD manually?

6. Dahlia The Unzipped Gems: 1/31

Hm, well when I put in the cd it just pulls up the game menu. When I click Play, SoA is giving me this error message:

An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 628
    Programmer says: Unable to Open BIF:data\Hd0GMosc.bif

Ok now I am really lost. Wait. ToB let me uninstall it. This is all thanks to ToB consuming SoA files, I bet.

So now I feel dumb but at least stuff's working a bit. Tra la-la.
    Re-installing ToB...now it wants the SoA disk. To EAT. Om nom nom.

So let's see what this does...(I'm afraid.)

Update: Nothing. Same error message. *&^%!!!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  7. Taluntain

Media:
    If you google "Unable to Open BIF:data\Hd0GMosc.bif" you'll find a bunch of threads - but I did a quick scan of them and they either provided no solution or only applied to downloadable versions of the game. Maybe if you take the time to go over all of them you'll find something useful...

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What registry lines did you remove? Bioware's site and I believe a few threads here on SP will help you figure out which ones to remove. I have had to do this in the past after trying to uninstall a heavily modded BG2 game. Fixing the registry worked for me. Good luck....

9. Taluntain

Media:
  10. Dahlia The Unzipped Gems: 1/31

I'd already deleted anything in the registry that had to do with 'baldur', so nothing BG related is in there. However there is a LOT of stuff in the "hidden" InstallShield Installation information file.

It says to uninstall English: {8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47} and {B8C3B479-1716-11D5-968A-0050BA84F5F7} but having no idea what that is or how to find it shall I just delete anything BG-related in this location?

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bioware's site will show you how to map to those locations. I am more of a noob than a PC genius and was easily able to follow their directions. This is from the bioware site... I wouldn't just search Baldurs, but Black Isle, Bioware, BG and any other BG identifier as well. jsut watchout if you have other Black Isle games installed. Don't delete a key for IWD by accident.

1.11: [BGII/ToB] - How to manually uninstall BGII: (Back to Top)

1.) Uninstall using the shortcut in the BG2 Start menu or the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel. The game files should be removed from the user's hard drive and the shortcuts removed from the Start menu.

2.) If step 1 failed, run "baldur.exe" from the CD. It should notify the user that the previous installation attempt failed and that they should try reinstalling the game using the program's Install button.

3.) If step 2 failed, edit the "baldur.ini" file in the directory where the game was installed. Look for the "Installing" key under the "Program Options" section, set it to 1 ("Installing=1"), save the file and repeat step 2.

4.) If step 3 failed, edit the system registry using the regedit / regedit32 utility. Remove the following keys: - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ App Paths \ BG2Main.exe - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ {8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47}

5.) Go to your Program Files directory and find the hidden directory "InstallShield Installation Information" and delete the directory labeled "{8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47}"

6.) Manually delete all the files and directories created by the previous installation attempts (this should return the system to its state before the original installation attempt) and try again to install from the CD.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you saying you cannot find the folders with those names? They are odd numerical names, yes, but they should be in the hidden folder that you seem to have found and said there's lots of stuff in there.

If they are not, then I assume there's nothing to delete in there.

13. Dahlia The Unzipped Gems: 1/31

Well I looked up and down the installshield file but couldn't find that folder. On the other hand I deleted all the BG2 related files in the registry...well all but four files that won't go away because their location cannot be found. One of them is the uninstall button. How ironic.

On the upside Play turned back into Install. :)

So we're back on track. I just hope everything's ok. Now let's see if Easy Tutu feels like working....

Love and hugs and strawberry marshmallows to everyone who helped. Thank you SO much. :D

Edit: It's WORKING! I've been playing BGTutu all weekend thanks to you fine folks. :D :D :D

I have one more question though; I thought Shadowkeeper could be used to edit characters on Tutu since, ya know, it's on BG2's engine. BUT. Mine tries to make me use *Gatekeeper*, AND it has a file size conflict and warns me not to use it as it may be corrupted. How do I fix this? I want to use Shadowkeeper. I loves me some Shadowkeeper. Bwahaha.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.