1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stuck in Yuan-ti temple

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by sarevok66, Aug 26, 2011.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

EDIT: i'm not stuck anymore, instead, i'm facing the guardian with my solo monk lvl 20 but i can barely hurt him while he does tremendous damage to my char... any tips to defeate it would be welcome

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

If you don't feel ready to fight the guardian you can just kill everyone in the yuan-ti temple and return to Kuldahar instead of killing him now.

You can return later to fight him for the HP bonus and poison resistance.

There are some dirty tricks you can try to defeat him now, but why bother using cheese when you soon will get more attacks and better equipment to win in a fair and honest way ...

3. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

are you doing any damage at all to him or is it a case of him killing you too quickly?

there are some potions that might help your odds:
    potion of heroism is +10 hp +2 BAB
    potion of strengths can go up to +7 STR
    barksin potion +3 AC
    all of which last a long time and might make the difference.

im curious about what sorts of tricks you can use against the guardian as a level 20 monk?

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

kmonster > i like cheese, please do tell

besides there are some rooms in the south-west section of the temple which ican't get into and i didn't manage to enter the treasure room either, so i really need to slay the guardian

lendial > i never use potion, my monk is of the old order.... he doesn't do drugs

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  5. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Try quivering palm, according to the description in the manual it should work. If you enable the hit rolls in the console you'll be sure. Every 20th attempt or so the guardian should fail its save and die.

You can also use the classic "shoot and run" cheese (slow and painful, but definitely doable even in HoF mode) to bring it down to 0 HP.

You can also use one of protection from magic scrolls on it, maybe it will dispell its permanent haste to make it attack less often.

With a little trial and error you should be able to enter the treasure room in the temple and with a little patience you should also be able to find a way into the SW rooms.

Your monk seems to be quite weak, my solo barbarian meleed and slaughtered it after a few attempts, what are your character's stats and equipment ?

6. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

i tried quivering palm many times but to no avail

here are the monk's stats

str 23
    dex 18
    con 18
    int 3
    wiz 16
    chr 3

ac 29
    hp 240

equipment:

no armor
    cloak of protection +1
    bracers of defense +4
    boots of avoidance
    ring of protection +3
    ring of lesser resistance
    houndstooth collar

i also got, but am not wearing:
    ring of dex +1
    thunder clap (bracers that give only to monks 1 attack per round bonus)
    should i wear these or is AC more important ?

---------- Added 2 hours, 20 minutes and 17 seconds later... ----------

there's another problem: i can't force the lock of the chest near Mandal's corpse in the Dragon Eye, and i'm supposed to need the rope according to the walkthru

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  7. lendial Gems: 4/31

has the guardian rolled a 1 on any quivering palm attempt? if he did, and he didnt die then it seems he might be immune.

also, if monks dont do drugs, then they certainly dont do crossbows :).

use the monk bracers unless you are somehow able to get 5 hits per round otherwise.

8. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

the Chult dragon isn't my main concern right now, i'm kind of stuck in the Dragon's eye because i can't open the chests that contains rope in order to repair the bridge in lvl 4

plus i'm supposed to intimidate D'hey-Jazerroin into doing the brew but i got no intimidate skill nor alchemy

i think this time i'm stuck for good, and i dont feel like starting over :(

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You don't have to intimidate the alchemist, just be sneaky. When he is working switch the normal phirna root for the false one and make sure everything is in place without getting seen by him.

My 22 str ranger could open the chest which contains the rope, just retry. Is it really locked ? If it really doesn't work there's still the option to use strength boosting items (maybe you'll find one somewhere) or to pick the lock with potions of master thievery.
    Before you need the rope you still have the option to explore and fight everything for XP and loot until the bridge, you can also return to Kuldahar to fight the battle for the paladin sword, maybe the gained XP will allow you to gain a level, raise a stat or put a point into lockpicking.

10. lendial Gems: 4/31

24 str should be enough to open any chest in the game with repition. you should have found various +1-8 str items by now.

11. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

no i dont, i just have a +1 dex ring.... so i'm totally scr*wd

i guess i'll just resume my pending solo inquisitor journey from bg2

kmonster > its been a while since i last got xp from killing mob

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You will still get quest XP and fighting the bad guy in level 3 will yield combat XP. There are so many shops in and around Kuldahar that I'm surprised that you can't find anything strength boosting there, maybe you should make an exception and use a strength potion for this occasion.

13. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

so many shops in Kuldahar ? i only know of Seemish and his father Conlan, the first sells scrolls and the latter armor

if you know of any potion seller around, please do tell

14. lendial Gems: 4/31

oswald sells several strength potions

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The guys you met in the building in Kuldahar pass (Nataniel?) also sell stuff.

16. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

well i bought a potion of strength from Oswald, it raised my str to 24 but it still didn't work

i should've created a half-orc monk instead of human :/

..... or bought more ropes in the wandering village

17. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

At this point I would just console it in. Are you sure you dont need a key for that chest though? Maybe there is a reason you cant open it even with 24 strength.

18. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

there's no mention of a key in the walkthroughs i've been reading so far, and since i won't cheat i'm pretty much stuck

if ever i attempt to start over i'll be sure to pack as many ropes as i possibly could.... but after all the time it took me to bring my solo char to this area and level, i really dont feel like giving the game another shot, especially for such a stupid reason like missing rope

19. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Weird.

I would break your no cheating rule just this one time, since maybe its actually a bug that you cant open that chest? It doesnt benefit your character at all, it just allows you to continue the game.

Up to you though, I know I'd do it just so I could carry on.

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

It must be a bug (or maybe you have to do a quest first, putting 1 point into lockpicking for feedback in such situations is a good idea). You can create and add a new thief to your party (20 dex race lets you start with 9 skill, eventually give him dex boosters and/or potions of master thievery) and have him try.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.