1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which album(s) did you listen to today? #3

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by BOC, Jul 13, 2011.

1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

2. BOC

Exciter - Death machine

[​IMG]

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    You guys who listen to all these albums, do you do so with the music in the background while you're doing other stuff, or do you isolate yourself and really tune in, or some combination of both?

Which leads to another question - headphones or speakers? Or sometimes one, sometimes the other?

I've always been interested in the ways people 'consume' art, particularly music. Do you generally give new artists the benefit of the doubt and devote your full attention (in whatever fashion that might be for you), or do they have to earn that?

4. BOC

Both. If it is an album that I have listened to hundreds times and know almost every note in it, usually it will be in the background.

Speakers, headphones are bad for the ears.

Myspace and youtube are very helpful, so the cases, that I buy an album from a new band without having listened to a good part of their work, are very rare. Also, imo the work of a band can be understood only if someone listens to the whole album from start to finish, so downloading separate tracks from itunes or similar services, simply doesn't work for me.

5. Gaear

Media:
    Interesting ... I have a feeling that traditional albums may become a thing of the past, sadly, if the current trends are any indication. They're not so much albums (as we've come to understand them) anymore as ... groups of songs. At least amongst what is served up as popular music today. e.g., you go to iTunes to download the latest Katy Perry hit, and what do you see? Her list of tracks. Only if you click the albums tab do you see her albums.

6. BOC

Perhaps this is true for mainstream music, but I can't see it happening in non-mainstream and underground music, where a culture of collecting is deeply established and people want to collect albums and not separate songs. On the contrary, during the last 5 years a huge number of new small indepented labels has been created (High Roller Records, Night of the Vinyl Dead, Back on Black, Steel Legacy etc), labels that are specialized in releasing albums of new bands as well as in releasing limited vinyl editions of new and old albums (the most recent trend in this area is the re-release of demos in vinyl format).

While Heaven Wept - Vast oceans lachrymose

[​IMG]

7. BOC

Roger Glover & Guests - The butterfly ball and the grasshopper's feast

[​IMG]

8. BOC

Mephisto - In search of lost refuge

[​IMG]

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I mostly listen on my computer while I'm cruising the web. I have about 1100 albums loaded in Winamp, some 12,000 tracks. Generally, I just add to the list whichever LP I'm listening to atm.

I have a pretty good PC system for sound: An Asus Xonar Essence sound card and a logitech Z5300 5.1 sound system.

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night

[​IMG]

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Donovan - A Gift From A Flower to A Garden [1967]

[​IMG]

I listened to it with my 3 year-old son. It's a fun recording.

11. Gaear

Media:
    Chandos, is that surround sound? If so, how good is it for listening to music specifically (as opposed to games or movies, etc.)? I've always been curious about that.

12. BOC

Hell - Human remains

[​IMG]

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
  14. BOC

Reflection - The fire still burns

[​IMG]

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Grateful Dead - Road Trips Vol. 1, No 2 [1977].

[​IMG]

Bonus Disc

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  16. BOC

Sinful - Gonna raise hell

[​IMG]

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Steve Winwood - Nine Lives [2008]

[​IMG]

18. BOC

Candlemass - Tales of creation

[​IMG]

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    The Police - Syncronicity [1983]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  20. BOC

Derek And The Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs

[​IMG]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.