1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why no kits?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by sarevok66, Aug 24, 2011.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

are these sub-classes inexistant in 3e or did balck isle decide not to implement them ingame ?

because to be honest, where having a plain paladin sucks, an inquisitor rocks, same goes for a plain fighter, berserkers are way more interesting to play with, assassin beats vanilla rogue and so on... i mean its kind of a step back in rpg rules, dont you think ?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] 3e has prestige classes instead which aren't dependant on main class but instead on what skills, feats and such you have. Some are race or class specific but generally not as a rule.

3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I think the much more extensive multi classing options make up for the lack of kits.

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

back in the old days i wasnt fan of the multiclassing thing, especially dual-classing, and i see no reason why to change my mind with the 3e system, it prevents your char from improving in what he does best since the begining of his journey... i dont like leveling up into another class, thats why kits were so unique in my view

5. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

it is a huge step back - lack of kits makes most classes utterly worthless outside of a 1-2 level mix-in.

almost all my builds will consist of main caster+several mix in from classes like paladin(2), monk(1), fighter(1-4), rogue(2).

6. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

Has anyone tried to create a mod with kits? Unlike Baldurs Gate 2, IWD2 seems to be a hassle to mod. Documentation for doing so is a hand-me-down from BG2.
    Kits could be given via a dialog, like the BG2 kit of Geomantic Sorceror.

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I think it has some support for it - eg Paladins, Monks, Clerics and Wizards technically all have kits, I think. But a lot of it is hardcoded - it takes a DLL hack to allow Paladins of Mystra to advance as Sorcerers and still be allowed to advance again as Paladins.

I do remember seeing a mod that added many different cleric kits, I think it might have been light of Selune. However I'm not sure you could add a kit to a class that doesnt already have them, like fighters. It would take some experimentation but it might be possible.

Personally... I'm not bothered by the loss. What we get instead are characters that are far more customizable by way of feats and multiclassing. I happen to like the multiclassing system of adding one or two mix in classes to completely change a character, like one level of ranger and monk can make a fighter able to dual wield well, and also add his wisdom bonus (if any) to his armor modifier, while unarmed. Whereas, a Berserker is a Berserker, the only difference is the weapons he uses.

I do wish IWD2 had a much greater selection of feats like NWN does though.

8. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

the only problem is that it now becomes pointless to ever get more than 2 of any melee classe(paladin,fighter,rogue,ranger,barbarian,monk) because it can be better spent as caster levels. spell casters outperform melee classes in every possible department except hp and BAB which can be somewhat supplemented by an array of damage mitagation and damage/combat buffs.

im not sure if the creators ever intended for players to uitilize melee classes above level 2 but i would certainly think so. the vast majority of classes are useless past level 2 and it just seems so un-rpgish.

9. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Yeah that is an unfortunate side effect I suppose.

I think if they had the old grand mastery system, there would be better reasons to use melee classes. Say if Fighters could attain grand mastery, and rangers, paladins and barbarians could attain high mastery or regular mastery (whatever its called). That would give them a huge damage advantage over casting classes.

In fact, I think part of the problem is that any class with a high enough BAB, no matter how long it takes to get there, has the same number of attacks. Thats what makes melee classes in BG2 so desirable - they get the highest number of attacks and do the most damage, and buffs arent enough to make up for that.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Kits were way better than the new multiclassing system + prestige classes. Most of the recuirements for prestigue classing makes no sense anyway.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am a fan of both 2nd and 3rd editions. They just have a different approach. Feats and Mix-in-levels in 3rd edition are what seperates Fighter A from Fighter B. Adding a level of Barbarian to a 6th level fighter is easily justifiable. So is adding a Monk or Bard level to a Druid.

Pertaining to IWD2, I think the developers create the game with the vanilla run in mindonly or at least at first. In the vanilla game, I believe all classes are on even par. It's when you add mods and play HoF that the spellcasters start to outshine the Melee only combatants. (Except for LoS, it juices up the Rangers obviously)Hence the game is Soloable with any class. Or a party of 6 Rogues is doable. It's after they complete the game, they make tweaks for the HoF/Insane mode players. Just my opinion of course...

12. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Actually, I think that in the very initial design of IWD2, it was intended to be a 2e game with kits, similar to BG2, though with different kits. But at some point, Black Isle decided to convert IWD2 to 3e, probably due to pressure from WOTC(?), which IIRC had already released 3e and wanted any new D&D computer games to be 3e compliant.

If you were to look into the game's 2DA files, you can see the artifacts of those unused kits, including their names.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.