1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game shuts down after error

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Santo, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Santo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

First of all I have looked everywhere for an answer to my problem with no success so I apologize if I have overlooked it. There are two times in the game when I get an error pop up and the game shuts down. It does it sometimes during character creation on the appearance screen unless I get lucky enough and pass that spot fast enough and also during the game when I open inventory. If it helps in answering I am using an AMD 8750 2.4ghz triple core processor with 2 GB of Ram and an ATI Radeon HD 4600 series video card.

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    sounds like an uncommon problem, probably to do with graphics. But you guessed that, since you already listed your specs. Try altering graphics settings in the config program for IWD2, sometimes a simple adjustment can fix a big problem. In case some file is damaged, you can try a complete reinstall. Update your display drivers too..
    If that doesn't do the trick, you'll need an expert..:o

3. Santo Gems: 1/31

IWD2 problems

Any experts in this forum that can help? drivers are up to date ive tried a complete reinstall and tweaking in config doesn't change anything. by the way operating system is windows xp home.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    First off: I'm no expert! ;)

But, any chance you can tell what the error message says?
    Or do you by chance use any mods?

I never head about this kind of crash. Most common problem with the Infinity Games on new hardware is the resolution or GlideFX artifacts.
    But IWD2 doesn't us Glide in any way. Hence the non-smooth fogofwar.

5. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

Having game editors open while you load a game can cause a nasty crash. I mean the likes of Dalekeeper and Near Infinity.
    But it does not seem to be the case here. Santo does not mention editors and the crashes occur at a certain definite point in the game.

6. valky Gems: 1/31

Have you tried to disable Hardware acceleration? It's one of the most common problems in IWD2. (and/or older games in general)
    Looks like the directdraw component tries to access some .dll while trying to display the "rag-doll" of your character (or maybe while applying the colors)

If the error messages of winXP wouldn't be so puzzling at all, usually the culprit can be found in the admin-tools section/event-viewer. A more detailled info is displayed there and if lucky the .dll which causes the crash.

hardware acc

(I don't recommend to rely on IWD2-configs hardware acc only)

And if interested:
    even viewer XP

- right after a crash navigate to 'windows logs/application' and look for a pretty red icon
    - select it, switch to XML view and unfold the tree
    - should be select- and coypable now

If no one is offended, paste it in the thread.

Should look like:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-21T18:14:48.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>19288</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>eisregen</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>toee.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>temple.dll</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>407a4c66</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00094a06</Data>
    <Data>8c4</Data>
    <Data>01cc601515624a81</Data>
    <Data>D:bad:Games\Temple of Elemental Evil\toee.exe</Data>
    <Data>D:bad:Games\Temple of Elemental Evil\temple.dll</Data>
    <Data>741b7ec9-cc21-11e0-82cf-000129a3f485</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

edit: quite some time ago since I used winXP, but the event viewer should be similiar to w2k/vista/7

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.