1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Erikson - The Last of the Malazans

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Chandos the Red, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm curious if anyone has started reading _The Crippled God _ by Erikson. It's interesting to me that Erikson, Hobbs and Martin used to rule these threads. Now, they're hardly mentioned anymore. We all sort of know what happened to Martin. Hobbs has some new stuff, but it has not been mentioned much, unless I've missed it. Erikson is more interesting because of how much interest his books used to generate and for how long this series has gone on. I'm slowly working my way through _Dust of Dreams_ and I'm thinking of a word :hmm: -- BORING! That's it. I'm 300 hundred pages into to it, and thus far, almost nothing has happened. I have heard it was supposed to be the grand climax and that Erikson divided the book into two, because of space considerations. That's exactly what Dust feels like -- space [mostly wasted].

If anyone has finished the Malazan conclusion to this 10 year epic, please tell me there is hope for a great ending. I'm an optimist and believe that in the end he can pull this whole thing off. Sometimes, Erikson can do just that. :)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I read mostly non-fiction now so just haven't got around to reading any fiction, Erikson or otherwise.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Didn't know Erikson's last book was out, but I usually don't keep up with current affairs. Doesn't matter to me if I read a book now or in half a year, but I will certainly read this book. I very much enjoyed the previous books - his prose is so much better than anything else I've read, I'd read it just for that - and that hasn't diminished with Dust of Dreams.

Overall, there appear to be some books that introduce characters and background information, but that do not come together to an epic climax. But in some others he shows us just how many seemingly separate threads he can keep aloft in parallel and bring then bring them together in a fantastic and totally unpredictable finale.

I must admit I didn't care much for the Tiste Edur and Letheri empire story arch, but Gardens of the Moon and Toll the Hounds were simply amazing.

So maybe Dust of Dreams suffered a bit for being the first part of the finale of the whole Malazan book of the Fallen series, I will definitely read the final book too and hope he can pull off another one like Toll the Hounds.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am currently re-reading the entire series before I get the last one partly due to wanting to cut down on my book account and partly due to being recommended to do so in a review I read. That review was very very positive so I am reading as fast as I can.

I think I can agree with the first five books being slightly better than the later installments but still very enjoyable and better than pretty much anything else written lately. I have faith and just the fact that he has finished makes him my favourite author of all time.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm still waiting on that lazy Martin. As you say, Hobb isn't really mentioned much anymore. I haven't checked out any of her stuff since the Tawny Man, was that Soldier Son trilogy any good? Erikson is still awesome. I don't know why you were totally bored with Dust of Dreams Chandos. Personally, the book I liked the least was probably Toll The Hounds. I can't wait until I get a copy of The Crippled God.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The "Soldier Son" was, different but very much Hobb. Didn't like it as much as the Fitz books but I would still recommend it if you lack stuff to read.

She is writing a new series now about what happens in the Rain Wilds after the Liveship trilogy and the future of the dragons. Read the first one and it was ok. She is in the "to read" box but not prioritized.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree. I thought that one was the worst. I still have not finished Dust of Dreams, since I stopped to read Edmund Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

Hobb's Soldier Son series starts out kind of slow, but gets better towards the end. I didn't think they were great but still pretty good books, certainly worth a go.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'll come out of hiding for this one, even if it seems to be a pretty much dead thread as the OP already stated.

I just finished The Crippled God this afternoon and I am left very satisfied with the 'ending' of the series. I say 'ending' because it's the ending of the Bridgeburners/Bonehunters arc. There will be more books concerning other story arcs.

I used to be a vehemently supporter of Martin and his Song of Ice and Fire series. While I still love that series I must admit, albeit a bit hesitantly;), I personally enjoyed the Malazan books much, much more. Partly because GRRM is such a slow writer it's becoming quite frustrating, but mostly because if you can muster the energy to invest time and effort in Erickson's books it will become apparent what precious gem hides beneath this behemoth of a series.

It definately wasn't an easy read throughout and at times much to philisophical for my tastes but it's all worth it concidering the scope of the books and I'm looking forward on a complete re-read of the entire series now that there is a conclusion.

I must thank someone here on the boards for introducing the series although I cannot recall who it was. Probably Joaquin but I can't recall, if so you were right.

First though on to 'Dance of Dragons' (I waited with this one so far just to finish the malazan series). After that the re-read and perhaps a thorough review of the beast.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.