1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Woman jailed because someone else killed her child

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Silvery, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mum-sentenced-over-sons-hit-run-death-111744335.html

This is beyond belief!

Briefly, a woman and her kids cross a street and a guy who is DUI and has a previous conviction for a hit and run plows into them. One child is killed and the mother and another child are injured.

The guy who hit them serves 6 months in jail but the mother faces a sentence of up to 3 years for not using a proper crossing.

Is it me or has the world gone insane?

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The world has gone insane. It needs a good, sustained dose of rationality.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just, wow. I'm sure she feels worse than any jail sentence in this case, but seriously, that's pathetic and never should have been prosecuted.

How the driver only got 6 months is beyond me as well.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I read about this and almost posted about it until I found out more details. The articles were very misleading. The maximum sentence the woman could have gotten for the three counts against her was three years while the driver got out of jail after 6 months but is still serving his 5 year sentence on probation for the hit and run.

He could have gotten more if they hadn't dropped the first degree vehicular homicide, I assume because of a plea bargaining agreement.

The woman was found guilty of second degree vehicular homicide (which is a misdemeanor in Georgia), jaywalking and reckless conduct. She is guilty of second degree vehicular homicide because she caused the death of her child by breaking the jaywalking law because she didn't want to walk the 1/3 mile to the crosswalk.

Certainly tragic, but not a crazy verdict. You could argue that the death of her child is punishment enough, but she did do what she was convicted of.

You could also argue that the driver got off light, but not that his sentence was less than hers.

5. koliva Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If she were driving a car and didn't give the right of way when she should have, it would have been her fault. The responsibility of avoiding an accident always falls on the shoulders of the one who doesn't have priority.

The woman in question was jaywalking and not driving, but as far as priority goes, things are exactly the same. She wasn't even supposed to be in the driver's way.

Furthermore, that was really reckless of her. She started crossing the street along with no less than three children. Imagine having to take a step back to avoid a car and having to pull one or two of them back with you at the same time. Not only is it hard, but she also took all of the risks associated with jaywalking on behalf of her kids.

As for what the driver did, driving under the influence most likely impaired his ability to avoid the accident, but again, the responsibility for avoiding it lies with the jaywalker. Hit-and-run only interfered with the judicial process.

In the end, the woman got away with probation and some community service, while the guy is serving jail time.

As a side-note, imagine what the public reaction would have been if it had been the children's father crossing the street and his wife had shown up on the news angrily ranting about how her good-for-nothing husband got their child killed.

EDIT: minor grammar

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    Shoshino likes this.
  6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I was under the impression that the Jay-walking law required that a crossing be within reasonable distance from the point where you cross, Or that the point at which the jaywalker crosses be excessively dangerous or disruptive.

I dont know the road or area, but it is possible that crossing near a bus stop may be considered dangerous. I'm guessing that the court believed that her crossing the road where she chose to, with 3 young children which could be difficult to control in a dangerous situation was excessively dangerous.

I get riled up when Im driving, by people who cross the road dragging a child behind them, or those others who push the pram into the road first before looking if a car is coming. My favourite phrase to shout out of the window when someone forces me to brake is "Cars hurt".

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is Georgia's traffic law with regard to crossing roadways other than at a crosswalk:
    I don't know if the roadway had traffic signals for her to violate (c), but she certainly violated (a)

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Another curiosity here is two people being prosecuted for an accomplished killing of the same person without any form of cooperation or other relationship between them. It's not completely unimaginable (one could make up a textbook case) but still strange.

What's beyond me is somebody walking home after 6 months of a jail when convicted for a DUI killing while already having one DUI hit and run incident under his belt. Seriously, those guys should be more efficiently banned from driving. This looks like a joke compared to the stories of what kind of small and irrelevant felony can get one a life when it's a third (including a bait charge where the cops leave an unattended bag of goods in a public space or a light-weight assault and battery).

What's also sad is that the juries' skin colours are still distinguished in 2011.

9. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a vague memory of reading something a few years back, involving somthing similar. The person killed was illegally crossing the road when the drunk driver hit him and killed him, but because the pedestrian was crossing illegally the driver could only be charged with the DUI.

10. chevalier

Media:
    That exceeds my knowledge of American law, I'm afraid. :(

11. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Generally pedestrians have the right of way. I'm actually a bit perplexed by the OP story in that, unless I'm greatly mistaken (and I guess I am), it really shouldn't matter if you were somewhere you weren't supposed to be on foot. Motor vehicles aren't supposed to hit pedestrians, ever, and it's the operator's responsibility to see to it that that doesn't happen.

Example: you're not supposed to cross residential streets except at corners. If you ran over some kid who was crossing mid-street, do you suppose authorities would say it was the kid's own damn fault? No, you would be crucified, just short of literally, even though the kid was crossing illegally, because you're not supposed to run people over no matter what.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Actually, if you read the Georgia code, pedestrians are generally required to yield right of way to vehicles on the roadways.

40-6-96 (e) states: Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I yield the right of way to all vehicles on the roadway, all vehicles on the sidewalk and all vehicles entering an establishment (by any means). It just seems like the polite thing to do when confronted with two or more tons of metal.

14. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Which is why I'm perplexed. ;) Traditionally this has not been the case throughout the US.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

IF she was not paying sufficient attention to the children, and by that argument was a contributing factor in their deaths, then maybe she deserves some sort of penalty. Negligence contributing to death should not be taken lightly.

In this case, I think we don't know enough to definitively answer that "IF", though.

16. chevalier

Media:
    Well, there's always some form of manslaughter whereby you'll get punished if you negligently cause death. Not sure about individual states in the US but I suppose leaving children unattended, especially causing some danger or when something actually happens, should generally be a low-rated but still a crime. It just feels bad to have a killing attributed to you rather than "mere" negligence, although in this case the penalty was very little.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.