1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A psycho in Norway

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Jul 22, 2011.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think the connection is fairly flimsy, but here is what I have so far - hopefully our Norwegian posters know more.

The camp is organized by a youth organization affiliated with the major Norwegian left-wing party. That labour party is considered generally softer on immigration, asylum seekers, etc, and the camp had quite a few kids from other nationalities. Whether you can call the norwegian labour party "pro-appeasement" is debatable (they did include Norway in the Libya operation), but I can imagine they would appear as more "xenophilic" than their right-wing competitors. The closest the youth group was to Muslims that I know of was that some members of the group went around with a pro-Palestinian poster when a foreign minister came to visit. Now, I doubt that's such a big issue for the AUF, but I suppose pictures like this might have circulated around and drawn consternation from some right-wing circles. Whether that influenced the gunman to choose them for a target or if he had decided on them beforehand, I do not know.

As far as I understand, the shooter wanted to create a shock, and he did. Perhaps there were some non-norwegian kids among those he killed, but how much that mattered to him I can't really say.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Snook,
    the man has in his peculiar way conflated as one evil 'Islamization' with multiculturalism and Norwegian social democrat policies (for instance their traditional moderately pro-Palestinian position) and domestic Norwegian politics (namely immigration of Muslims). These kids were Norwegian, but they were in a social democrat summer camp. That made them guilty enough in his eyes.

His murderous rampage is manifest evidence that his views projected on a national and policy level would be genocidal.

In his lengthy rants, the shooter vehemently elaborates just how much despises Multiculturalism. It is, to use that hard right theme, a result of the Frankfurt School. He calls it 'Cultural Marxism', which is a classic hard right theme that has been around for a long time. I have found it mentioned fairly often when I read hard right stuff from the US.

The Netherland's hard right Geert Wilders despises Muslims and just loves Israel. I feel that Europe's fascist scum, to the extent that they don't deny the Holocaust, has traded anti-Jewish sentiment for anti-Muslim sentiment, so they can feel a little better about themselves. So you have fascists who just love Israel. Except for that detail not much has changed: 'Islamisation' is simply the functional equivalent to the previous theme of 'Verjudung' (Judaization) in this, and instead of the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion, you have the assertion that 'the Islamics' strive to re-establish the Caliphate and impose 'Sharia law' on the West. Together with the enemy within - the fifth column of Multiculturalist Cultural Marxists - there is an omnipotent bogeyman is out there to get them - instead of the 'Weltjudentum' (World Jewry) it's 'Islamofacism' this time around. It's essentially the same bullsh*t narrative. Irresponsible fools like Geller, Spencer and Pipes who court such scum are stirring up some really bad people with really ugly ideas. But hey, if it's good for Israel ... I wonder for how long? This scum might just one day run out of Muslims.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just like mad mullahs around the world inspire and to some extent create muslim terrorists I would reckon one could say that Bush helped create the fertile soil for dicks like this.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This foundation was set many years before Bush's terms as US President.

5. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

From what I have read it appears that a large number of kids jumped in the waters around the lake. I wonder how many of the victims drowned instead of being shoot?

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Does that matter? Effectively, he murdered them all the same.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

None drowned, I belive. They were all picked up by boats before they drowned.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

9. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thats weird as the yahoo news article quoted the police chief as saying the deaths were a combination of gunshot deaths & drownings.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Information has been contradictory, the death toll has been lowered quite a bit as well. Do not think anyone drowned, it is summer and the island is well within swimming distance to the main land.

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Unless you've already been shot, perhaps?

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Anders Breivik's Roots in Right-Wing Populism
    Beck's rant is a classic coint in case: Yes, the kids were like Hitler Youth he felt, Islamization is real and is bad, and 'Cultural Marxism' and multiculturalism is threatening to destroy Europe, and America, and never mind him being unable to tell Denmark from the Netherlands, that Europe is becoming subverted by Muslims at all levels. Living here that's something that mysteriously continues to elude me - :eek: - they are THAT stealthy? Then it is worse than Beck thought! He closes that, though the shooter apparently has all the right reasons according to him, he was an evil man to shoot all these kids. Interesting mix of endorsement and condemnation.

13. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just heard it in the News: He pleads 'not guilty'.
    Not surprised....though.

14. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The youngest person he shot was only 11 years old.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The guy is an evil bastard. I condemn his terrorist activities and murders in every way. I believe he should be executed as soon as possible.

Just because he is linked to right wing ideology does not mean he speaks for them. Not one legitimate right winger is supporting the bombings or shootings. No more than the pro-Palestinian crowd supports the rocket attacks launched from Palestine. So enough already with the smear stupidity. I guarantee you that Bush, Beck, et all are NOT secretly clapping their hands at this tragedy -- I'm pretty sure even Geert Wilders is disgusted. The attempts to use this to demonize legitimate concerns about the direction Western nations are going disgusts me in the extreme. And anyone saying I'm making excuses for this murderous bastard, read the first ****ing paragraph again.

T2Bruno and Montresor like this.
  16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I couldn't have said it better if I tried. As a matter fact I think I'm going to forward this to some of my moonbat friends (properly footnoted of course).

17. Blades of Vanatar

These cooks are real *******s. They are "Pro-American" when we have such a diverse culture these days? WTF?

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I expect every decent human being regardless of ideology would be disgusted by something like this. I can't make personal judgements of people I've never met, but I would think none of the major public figures on even the extreme right would approve of all this. Let's be frank, though - this "demonization" happens every time a fundamentalist of any stripe does something like this; actors of all stripes will play the political game in such a case. In fact, I'd say the cause he based his views on would get off relatively easily - hands will be washed, distance from such "psychopaths" would be established, and everything will be fine come the next election. I can't help but think that if this man were a Muslim, and his manifesto talked about the evils of the West interfering in Afghanistan/Iraq/Libya, he'd be just as much of a murderous bastard but there would be a much bigger s..tstorm over this case.

@ TGS: LKD's point is good enough that you can do better. As an exercise, consider sending it to everyone as a "fill in the blanks" form with no names of public figures or parties. It might be worth remembering that there are legitimate concerns somewhere deep, deep behind it the next time something like this happens - whether the murderer is a Muslim, Maoist, Secessionist, Nationalist, neo-nazi... Even the most extreme ideology likely will have some legitimate issues in its base. It won't make murders like that right, not by a long shot. Yet it may still be a legitimate point.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    Death Rabbit likes this.
  19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Of course the right wing is going to "distance itself" from this -- when people are trying to make a connection that isn't logical, fair, or reasonable between them and a murderer like Breivik, of course they are going to defend themselves against a smear like that. Working it as it has been worded, though, insinuates that they all were in on getting this guy guns, ammo, and training, as well as maps to the island and schematics of the building, and then after the fact "distancing" themselves. What utter horsecrap.

It is possible to hold a political position peacefully, even though some may take thaty same political position and become violent about it. THIS right winger is for the rule of law, meaning that whatever else a person may have in common with me, if that person stoops to breaking the law as flagrantly and viciously as Breivik, then I have no part of him. Make all the sly insinuations you want, I think that in this matter my position reflects that of Beck, Bush, and the other right wingers some are trying to make responsible for something they in reality would never condone or encourage.

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think right-wingers are now getting a taste of what it feels like for a Muslim whenever some idiot says "not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims." It sucks when someone claiming to speak for your worldview does something horrible in the name of it, doesn't it?

Much of the conservative/right wing in North America has been painting Muslims with a pretty broad and unfair brush for the better part of the last decade. And many conservative thought leaders - like Pamela Geller - have said some pretty repulsive and irresponsible things that, like it or not, have been taken seriously by some very unstable people (as this incident proves). I hope some good comes from this tragedy in the form of them realizing their vitriol directed at the vast majority of muslims who hold their beliefs peacefully – like the people behind cultural center near ground zero, just to give you one example – was misplaced, and probably just made things worse.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.