1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Advice needed for chronic restarter

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tharlok, Jul 22, 2011.

1. valky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Don't underestimate the power of 'sanctuary' as well :p
    At this point and by having 2 clerics there aren't that many lvl 1 spells you have to memorize besides remove fear/bless.

And several battles can be initiated while sanctuary is already pre-casted too so the NPCs will "lock on" to your tanks/melee chars.

But lendial is right, there are later on several nasty scripted enemies who will go straight for your caster and these partial reset-spells only help while being active and mirror-image will be your best friend then. (in HoF mode they can 2-3 shot your caster if you aren't prepared...and they have an impressive attack speed as well)

Though I'm currently in chpt 4/5 (finally it's working without that stupid slow-down thanks to the sticky posting) and most of the enemies go still straight for your first seen character.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You get attacked at the end either way. If you kill Nym then the couple who were having an affair sell you out...either way you get sold out!
    Wilderness law really makes that chapter a LOT easier although I don't think it's that useful further on

3. Tharlok Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Just reached Underdark and had a nice chat with Malavon - this will probably turn bad eventually... Not to self - never, ever go on a trip with a crazy gnome on his airship. After the ice castle there has been hordes of monsters attacking me at every turn! After successfully helping out the people of the wandering village, I have fought barbarians, trolls, wyverns, dragons, umber hulks and hook horrors. I accepted a quest from the grey dwarves that didn't work - I killed everything but could not tell the leader that. Strange - must be a bug of some kind. So I went to the monastry. Didn't really look forward to fight 30 or 40 monks... But they never attacked so I guess that worked out alright.

At this point I thought that I should go back to the dwarves and see if I could complete their quest. Not to self again - NEVER, ever allow your paladin to do any talking again... She had some strong remarks about slavery and of course every dwarf and orc just attacked. Great. Unfortunately for them 2 boneguard skeletons and 1 elite boneguard skeleton proved to be too much to handle. One skeleton got to "barely injured"...

Back at the monastry and I was slaughtered three times by Iron Golems. WTF? Apparently I had talked to someone with less than good intentions - a thief! When I realised that I didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell, I justed went back and turned him in. Finally clear of that area - or so I thought. A group of grey dwarves just attacked me but they weren't exactly a problem.

So now I just have to find some driders. Sounds... not so simple if they are anything like they are in the books. And they mentioned Mindflayers! I wonder if my poor level 12 party can handle that?

4. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Finally completed Dragon's Eye - and was that frustrating! It took me forever to figure out how to proceed. Level 3 was a pain - couldn't understand how to cross the bridge or open any doors. But I finally made it. Strange that there are no good armours in the game so far - the best AC I have is 25 (with one character).

I like the story so far and it's nice to see some references to IWD. I probably missed some stuff but I have stayed away from walkthroughs so I can keep getting surprised. Just reached something that looks like the abyss (or at least a huge pool of lava). Party right now:

Isabel - Paladin of Helm 3/Fighter 11
    Ugrukh - Fighter 4/Barbarian 9/Painbearer of Ilmater 1
    Selina - Sorcerer 14
    Cassius - Rogue 2/Diviner 12
    Theorin - Battleguard of Tempus 14
    Gregory - Fighter 4/Morninglord of Lathander 10

I thought that the F/C would be the worst character (especially since he is wielding a warhammer) but he has the second most kills in the party.

5. valky Gems: 1/31

You happen to have installed at least the collector/bonus edition items, which can be downloaded nearly everywhere? AC 25 sounds very low for Dragon's eye - at least 1 item push you by generic +5 if you'd have freed the genie *hint* (in the wandering village). So a shield-fighter can easily reach at least 30 without any buffs. And deflection should count as well, so a cloak or ring +2 boost you further up or use ghost-armor instead.

Though it might be a bit too late for the village-item :p

(and I can highly recommend to check that light of sêlune-mod, pretty awesome stuff and the items are decent balanced as well. At least the Kuldahar vendor is still accessible to you and he sells *uhm* an amulett of natural armor +4 or+5)

Yet, it reminds me a bit on my 1st walkthrough as well, had a hard time back then - not to mention the same party made it thru HoF too ^.^

You didn't enounter the bladesinger and (slayer-) Knights of Xvim yet, didn't you?

6. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Didn't free anything in the Wandering Village - beacuse I didn't see any. Just helped some sort of wight find his horn. Right now I'm stuck in the time loop:(, since I can't stop the high sorceress from casting the spell. I don't really know what to do - I cast mass haste but when I meet up with her, it is hopless. I can't seem to damage her with anything. Arrows of Dispelling and Dispel Magic doesn't work and she summons monsters which keeps me from reaching her.

This is actually the first time where I feel that I don't know what to do. Sure, some fights where tough but I could always beat them on the second or third try. I've have failed to stop her five times now...

7. valky Gems: 1/31

Needed that to check while playing my first time IWDII too...
    There is only 1 (or 2) way to prevent it. You need to stop her before she finish her spell (temporal stasis) else you are forced to use power word: reload and try again.
    Will just c&p the part so it's easier to understand:

"Immediately send your high DEX, wearing 'boot of speed' running west, taking the shortcut to Archon, the boatman. You'll experience falling rocks, but that wouldn't stop your speedy high DEX. If it does, you'll have to reload. At the meantime, other members should be preparing, At least cast 'mass haste'. Ask Archon to send the band to the embassy. As soon as you arrive, anyone with the ability should be casting 'Finger of Death' immediately. Send one person near her to trigger the coversation. She should die under 'Finger of Death'. If you failed the first time trying, you have enough time to try for the second time."

(instead of Finger of Death, you can use "Outlikes resilient sphere" as well and finish off the other monster first. And mass haste works too, you don't need the boots, so you can send the whole party to Archon instead of only 1 first)

And about the wandering village stuff, there should be Nym, the merchant, who sells the 'Avarine Decanter'. If you use it you can free the genie right away - without (!) taking a look at his stuff. The genie gives you 2 or 3 items and one of them are the bracers. That's part of the collectors edition...

8. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks for the info! Finally beat her - but it took me 8 tries all in all! In the end I was able to hit her with my four fighters while the sorcerer and wizard kept summoning monsters to handle her summons. And any monster that tried to attack my guys were hit but chromatic orb and stunned. Probablythe hardest fight for me so far. Just teleported back to the ice castle and it looks like the mage is cashing in his favour...

9. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Hmmm... it's really annoying to play when you have a new idea for a party. Still, I must finish this game. At the moment I'm in Severed Hand and I wonderif I have to slay Orrick? I need to make a sleeping agent, which can be done in a laboratory. But to gain access to that it looks like I have to perform a quest which includes slaying Orrick. And that feels wrong since the most "evil" guy I have is chaotic good... I wonder if there is an alternative route.

10. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

you dont have to slay orrick, in fact it is quiet impossible :). you can also take the dirty route and just slay them by hand which resutls in more exp anyways.

11. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Yes! Yes! Yes!!! Finally beat the game! The last battle was really difficult - took me seven tries to win but now I have done it. Maybe I'm finally free of my CRS?

12. lendial Gems: 4/31

congrats! i must have played through iwd2 at least 4 times now and im still discovering new things.

13. valky Gems: 1/31

Congrats too :p
    Though your CRS reminds me that I've never finished Throne of Bhaal but started it like 3 or 4 times and stopped playing at some specific point and I honestly dunno why :O
    (they shouldn't have made the beginning so easy that you could've run the game all the night while sleeping with your archers on the wall and in the morning you had like +3-4 level - or so I've heard *whistle* ... the only thing I barely remember, fire giants do hit pretty hard!)

Bit OT but maybe that's the next game I've to finally beat and there are some nice mods and new NPCs out there as well.

14. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I actually had trouble finish BGII. I used to start over a lot of times before finally found a party I liked (was F/M with Aerie, Imoen, Minsc and Sarevok). Still, I love BG I & II and still find it very enjoyable.

Oh, and the party that finally beat IWD II:

Isabel - Paladin 3/Fighter 13
    Theorin - Cleric 16 (Battleguard of Tempus)
    Cassius - Rogue 2/Diviner 14
    Ugrukh - Fighter 4/Barbarian 11/Painbearer of Ilmater 1
    Selina - Sorcerer 16
    Gregory - Fighter 4/Morninglord of Lathander 12

15. valky Gems: 1/31

*chuckle* naa, while yer topic existed I actually beat IWDII too & again :p I couldn't resist, though I built kind of a powergaming party - taken from the older list of JUPP ('Sir Rachet' i suppose) with some fine-tuning fitted to my own playstyle. It kinda freaked me out that I had beaten HoF only once and with my more or less start-up party (old-school 6-man RPG party :D) but oh boy, it was hard as hell. If I remember right I had 2 healer as well, but my old HDD crashed so I don't have these savegames anymore :(

But on the other side, my experimental parties' 'maintank' had like 57 AC fully buffed (using Light of Sêlune) on normal at the end-fight. I'd lie if I'd say it was hard...just put one of the most valuable scrolls in the whole freaking game on either Madea or Isair and whack him/her away. ('Protection from Magic' -> removes ALL effects)

Anyway, the party which just did it too was an experiment regarding the powergaming concept (max AC for tank/decoy). Imagine the Guardian (the black dragon after the Chult temple) - that lil' girl was feared only once - stupid me, I forgot one buff - but she wasn't hit even once (!) and even if she would have been hit; say hello to 'mirror image'... And Nissa (that's my gnomes' name ^^) had like 114 Hitpoints at this very moment.

But as I love this game so freaking much :D my 'real' party just finished the ice temple..maybe I'll try to be evil at once ^.^

[I honestly can't get a grip on that powergamin' concept - while it is fun on one side, it's boring as hell on the other - you won't even need a healer at all, as far as I can remember I wasn't using 'HEAL' once at all on my tank(s) in 'Severed Hands'...needed only to rest if I was out of 'hopelessness' :cool: - and no offence meant...]

Anyway, my current party does enjoy the bad air, which limbers around in the wandering village...and I wish they would have been implemented the D&D halfling, so they are only allowed to wield human-sized-one-handed weapons, but that's 3.0 (or housemade) or 3.5 already? [temple of elemental evil sidenote...my party 'o b*tches were 5 halflings *cheers*]

*nother sidenote to myself: don't mix in german language* :p
    And cause I was talking about:
    Malyl'thara Do'ath - (Pala O' Helm 1)/Lathander 9
    Seylina Stormfist - (Bane 1)/ Monk 11
    Melissa Moonsong - (Bane 1)/druid 11
    Vicala Baenghym - (Bane 1) /Bard 9
    Angice Barrilyl - (Bane 1)/Sorc 9

Don't mind my Bane affinity :) it's intended...

Besides, Aerie is pretty weak at the beginning due to her multiclassing option, but at the end she does shine pretty well! Though my main is usually a rogue-stylish-class, so it's either ranger or dual-wield-rogue (there aren't any other options in BG) so I'm forced to stick with the NPCs provided by the game. Yet, my all-time npc is Edwin(a)!!

If Nalia wouldn't be that *missing the word that describes her the best* Id stick to her but I really dislike her. Took her only once in my first walkthrough of BGII. Imoen is such a whiny b*tch as well but on the other hand, I kinda like her, maybe cause she is such a !"&%!". (and cause of BG1..)

*drifting apart* :p

Don't really know, what the inner meaning of my posting is :confused:

(edit: better to have an unbeatable tank than a great red grand-dragon which can be feebleminded and does nothing at all...seriously! I worked for cdv til they broke, but such flaws were not allowed. Too bad the only real cool rpg from germany is 'black eye' - and only fan-modded; kinda)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  16. lendial Gems: 4/31

ive yet to ever use protection from magic scrolls - mostly because i didnt know they were so imba but also because they make some of the most difficult fights seemingly too easy. i want my fights to be bloody and painful for both sides.

17. valky Gems: 1/31

kinda true :D Yet there are only ~2 (?) scrolls buyable and 1-2 can be found; but I'm only using them in the final battle - else it's like whacking with a wooden sword against their protection stuff. Even the Light of Sêlune 2-handed 'Avenger' does barely damage and that sword is freaking powerful...

18. lendial Gems: 4/31

I believe there are 3 in an umodded game. I might yet save them for HoF-ive yet to ever finish hof even though ive powergamed normal mode 5 times over.

19. Tharlok Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I started a new game and found out something... rather strange. I wanted to try out the Paladin/Wizard multiclass and also decided that I didn't wanted a fulltime rogue. So, I gave all the rogue skills (except hide and move silently) to my paladin (soon to become wizard) and thought that it would work since he has 18 INT. However, when I went into the trading post to buy some things and pickpocket the "lucky knucky", I realised that I had made a mistake. A paladin STEALING? That shouldn't work. But it does. That is just... wrong. Shouldn't he lose his paladin status for commiting a crime?

20. lendial Gems: 4/31

many rpg-based rules are not implemented in 3E, for example, after completing the required quest line a paladin can slaughter innocents without losing holy status- the same is true for commiting acts of evil in an evil party as long as he or she isnt the spokesperson.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.