1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making custom portraits

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by redragon1976, Jul 20, 2011.

1. redragon1976 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello all, first post here :D

So I've played IWD2 a few times and need something to add a little fizz to my next go through, and was trying to make a few custom portraits for my characters.

First up I know where to put them :D, thought I'd mention that as when looking for help I noticed a lot of ppl having that issue. I have a folder named portraits full of downloaded piccies but am bored with most of them.

So I found a link for changing jpeg's and such to BMP format but I can't seem to get it to work for me.

I tried it out using a pic which was already a BMP at 38x60, entered the desired size of 42x42 in the relavant field on the image converter, but when I saved it it was at 42x66 :mad:

I can get it to change JPEG's etc to BMP, but the size issue is driving me insane, been trying for 2 night now.

Another thing I can't work out is how to change the bit size to the required 8 for the small piccy and 24 for the large.

So what if anything am I doing wrong? I'm using a pretty basic converter so if that might be the problem can anyone suggest another easy to use one? I'm not real good with computers but I get by.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

2. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The image converter is probably set to preserve the images height/width ratio (38 x 60 is roughly the same ratio as 42 x 66). Most likely you can uncheck that option, but then you'll end up with a slightly twisted portrait, because it flattens the 60 pixels to just 42.

Try using some sort of select/cut tool;
    -cut a 38 x 38 piece from the desired portrait (any size will work as long it's square-shaped)
    -paste the selection to a new, blank image
    -then expand it to 42 x 42 and save with the appropriate filename

Irfanview is an easy image viewer/editor, for basic tasks like this. You can change the bit size while saving.

edit: The bit size shouldn't be an huge issue. I think that images with higher bit size will work as the small portraits.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.