1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Male Brains Aren't Designed To Listen to Female Voices

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jul 11, 2011.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    For some reason, I don't think Mrs. Snook will buy this as a legitimate excuse :D

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    THAT'S the problem right there :)

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    As an evolutionist I will have to tell you that brains aren't designed at all :p

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Snook, great find! I will defnitely use this in my life-long wars with the old lady.

LKD likes this.
  5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not sure that this has anything to do with male and female voices and how men's brains interpret them differently. I have a couple of male colleagues that can talk and talk and talk, and it's pretty hard to keep up interest to all of that so I just try to tune it out after a while. Or put on my mp3 player or something, as I'm not very good at tuning sound out (in general).

I am pretty good at having a hard time to understand people, though. My brains just seem to have problems turning sound into something coherent, no matter whether it's from a female or male voice.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A radio celebrity here in Chicago mentioned once his marriage went rapidly downhill after he told his wife, "You may as well stop arguing, everything you say is white noise to me."

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I must admit, I think that's ridiculous. If nothing else I've heard men that sound far more feminine than most women I know and the breadth and depth of female vocals is too broad to simplify it down to a simple tonal difference.

It's most likely a case of wanting to listen than not. Most of the guys I know who glaze over when a woman talks are the ones who've had overbearing or nagging mothers who've ingrained the instinct from an early age. Or the guys who get distracted by shiny objects and the sounds of their own voices :p

A bit like Henkie I've got a bit of issue with auditory processing. Something that mostly the men in my life have decided is just a 'convenient excuse' except when they got distracted and needed an excuse when *I* was talking to them ;)

T2Bruno likes this.
  8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Good to hear I'm not the only one with sound interpretation troubles, 8people :)

Had a funny example today where I was at a boot (like you might find at a trainstation if you try to buy a ticket there) and the woman at the other side of the screen was talking through some sort of speaker system. Except that the first time she spoke, I saw her mouth moving and her arms moving as she was explaining something, but I just couldn't hear anything she was saying.

Then I noticed the speaker box, so the second time she was explaining I was prepared, but even then it took a couple of seconds before my brains could interpret the sound into something meaningful.

It stayed like that for the remaining time I was at that booth, too. Luckily some helpful soul nearby explained to me what I needed to do, or it might've been a bit complicated.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What was that 8? It's all white letters to me....

nunsbane likes this.
  10. nunsbane

nunsbane

Lol Bruno.

Emotional tears from a woman reduce testosterone in men. Men in commited relationships have lower testosteron levels. Strippers make more money while ovulating. Women find taller men more attractive while ovulatiing. Pheromones in a woman's urine activate sexual centers in a male's brain as pheromones from a male's sweat activate sexual centers in a female brain. Men visually prefer a hip to waist ratio of 70%. Anectodotelly, the first time I really touched a female during a slow dance when I was 13 literally made my scalp tingle....couldn't understand the difference between touching a male(contact sports and incidental contact) and experiencing a female.

All the senses are employed to find a mate who will assist in creating superior offspring. I think male minds are programmed to tune out only the 'incidental' noises a female makes....because we sure don't miss the 'important' noises a female makes.

It's our genes which determine what sights, sounds, smells, touches and maybe even tastes draw our attention......a female voice droning about that which will not possibly create offspring will be efficiently diluted to white noise. Doesn't surprise me.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So you helped your wife find a sperm donor? :p

12. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Well, at least this explains why most automated PA systems employ female voices. You actually need to be actively listening to hear it, while you don't get disturbed by it as much when not in need of said info.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    One day I'm going to have to try saying, "I'm sorry, darling, I didn't get a single world of it but you have a lovely voice," and see what happens. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.