1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Super Clap

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not sure if this really goes here or if it will devolve into Whatnots material, but let's start with higher aspirations.

Seems that what many people expected with bacteria has come to pass in our old friend Gonorrhea. A new strain has been found resistant to pretty much everything. Scary. Good thing I'm way past dating age.

Linkage

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Give the gift that keeps on giving....

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

With a thread title like "Super Clap" it's kinda hard to not devolve, but I'll make an effort.

I'm no immunologist, but I've heard that this is something that has been going on, evolutionarily speaking, for thousands of millenia. A new strain appears, the target organisms (us!) adapt and become resistant (after taking tremendous casualties to the population) and then after a while a new strain emerges. It's just that we are more aware of it now.

With that awareness, though, comes our fancy quick fixes (antibiotics and other wunderdrugs), and those seem to spur on new strains faster than has ever been seen in evolutionary history. Can we keep up? We'd better hope so!

However, in the grand scheme of things, venereal diseases aren't that much of a problem, insofar as we are fully capable of reining in our natural desires and taking the necessary precautions to avoid infections -- IMHO this is one of the bases of the virginity obsession that exists in many societies (and not just Judeo-Christian ones, either)

The diseases to really be afraid of are the ones that are transmitted via simple contact or airborne means. For those ones, its not nearly as simple to avoid infection and transmission.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fact for you: I've had a dose of this once, and didn't feel anything or have any discomfort. I just had to take some medicine and keep my willy to myself for a few weeks. The screening test was the worst bit - that's not pleasant.

Luckily I was single at the time. I should really go again soon, too, it's good practice. Not looking forward...

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Not really the topic, but I always thought 'the clap' referred to chlamydia.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    It does, at least in my neck of the woods.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  8. Barmy Army

Media:
    I always assumed they call it 'the clap' for the 'chla' sound at the start of chlamydia. I guess it depends which part of the world you're from, though. It means chlamydia round here. You're really meant to get screened for all STD's at least once a year (especially if you live where I do - summed up; rife). I don't get it done as often as that though, as the test sucks.

If you've never had it done, they take what is effectively a cocktail umbrella, stick it down your jap closed, then open it up and drag it back out so that it scrapes the inside of your Johnson. It's about as appealing as as a camera up the wrong 'en (colonoscopy, which I have also had done!!)

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Heh DMC, what is wrong with you? You can scare off all the girls from being "friendly" with posts like these. Stop it already... :p

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why would it be done on your son? And why does his name have to be John?

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The test that Barmy describes is not fun. I speak from experience. Since I trust my wife and am faithful to her, I don't need to ever do it again. Thank God!

I've always thought that the Clap originally referred to Chlamydia, but as time went on it now applies to pretty well all STIs that are not HIV/AIDS.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] This might make me a bad person, but I laughed quite a bit at the description :lol:

Problem with antibiotics is people will stop taking them when they "feel a bit better" not taking a full course which allows what remains of the condition to develop a resistance and regrow. The simpler an organism the less it takes for it to make adaptations to a new variable.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Speaking with several different older people, they all seem to believe the following as fact. The reason it is called "The Clap" was that in the older days the "Cure" was to take flat pieces of wood and use them like cymbals on your Johnson to get the bad stuff out. Ouch!

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No way in heck is that right Blades, and they're just pulling your Johnson with that. The nomenclature "Clap" is way older than that (the wikipedia article has it as far back as the 16th century). One dictionary I consulted seems to have Claper meaning brothel, which could certainly make sense in this context.

15. Blades of Vanatar

I didn't really think I needed a smiley for you to figure that one out DMC... ;)

16. dmc

Media:
    Well, if you search the net, you'll see that the slamming the Johnson derivation actually is fairly common (and fairly wrong), so I wasn't sure if you were joking or not.

17. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Due to a recent bout of promiscuity on my part (drunk often equals sans condom for me...some shame in my game, I know), lately I've been doing some research into STD's. The goal of my research was basically to find out how many days I needed to remain my normal self down there before I could signal the 'all-clear'. (As an aside, um, all-clear.)

Found out some interesting facts. First off, being a guy is a real boon when it comes to STD's. We are much less likely to become infected. The big one, AIDS, for example, basically requires an extended period of of repeated copulation (i.e. long-term relationship) to even have a chance of making the jump from a heterosexual woman to a heterosexual male. In this example, I'm assuming they are having "normal" sex (missionary...for your health!)

And then the other two scary ones (i.e. non-curable), herpes and genital warts, are both much easier on men than they are on women. Most infected men don't even realize they are infected. For genital warts, it's something like only 10% of those infected ever actually show any symptom of the disease. One in five americans has genital herpes. One in five! Thing is, most have no idea.

But still, I'm changing my ways...which reminds me, I need to buy condoms.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.