1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which combat enhancing mod do you like the best?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Beren, Jun 13, 2011.

?

Which combat enhancing mod do you prefer?

1. Tactics

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Sword Coast Strategems II

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Improved Battles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Improved Anvil

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. None

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As per the title. Here are the choices:

1) Tactics by Weimer

2) Sword Coast Strategems by G3

3) Improved Battles

4) Improved Anvil

5) None, I like vanilla BG2.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SCSII all the way. Highly customizable so you can get just the experience you want, and well done too. The only drawback (which is acknowledged in the readme) is the occasional pausing while scripts load.

Tactics is too inconsistent.
    Never played Improved Battles.
    Improved Anvil is way too hard, and my understanding of recent versions is that you’re fairly restricted in terms of tactics that will actually work (the trick is finding out which tactics the mod’s author wants you to use).

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with Splunge. SCSII. Tactics was all over the place, Anvil was play-style restrictive. Not my cup of tea. Never played battles either, as I never read of anyone praising it(though I didn't go searching it either... so no offense to the modder). SCSII lets you detail to your style of game. The Vanilla game had some very easy battles and some real cheese tactics for beating Liches, etc..., mods help clean that up.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have SCSII, Tactics, and Improved Battles installed. I would like to add Improved Anvil too, but that's impossible.

5. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I love how SCS (both I and II) turns the imbecile mob packs into groups that actually try to co-operate. All the dirty tricks you learn during a plain-vanilla playthrough have to go through a steel bath to survive against SCS, while not resorting to hugely overpowered abilities to do so. If that ain't golden, I don't know what is.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Combat enhancing mods just never appealed to me. I can sort of understand the appeal of more difficult combat - to overcome the challenge so you feel like you've actually accomplished something - but most of the time the difficulty just makes me want to stop playing. The line between challenging and frustrating is very thin indeed and I prefer not to get too frustrated while playing games. I don't play games to challenge myself, just to relax.

7. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I think Improved Anvil (I don't know the newer version though) is pretty well done
    and I liked it, though it is a tad too difficult for me.

I have no problems playing vanilla either, as I'm not tempted to use cheese tactics like using the green scrolls or equipping spell deflecting Items (Baldur's shield, this special cloak ^^,etc.).
    Some Spells (like the mage duplication spells or Wish) I won't abuse either but that's just my personal playstyle, so I don't feel like installing SCSII.

IA on the other hand feels like a completely new game so it has some appeal for me.

8. Exor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

improved anvil was (I don't know the newer versions) nice and technically speaking extremely good but ultimately the design decisions put me off. Having an "optimum" party, foreknowledge of which quests/bosses are even doable until you can cast 2 ruby rays of removal. And then that I could have saved hours of boredom from knowing that golems can be hit by vampiric touch made stop playing altogether.

My choice goes to scs 2, for all the reasons mentioned above.

In retrospect what I like most about scs 2 is the intent to make game more difficult (primarily) by making the enemies use their resources more efficiently.

..god vampiric touching golems still makes me angry.

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

SCS (I+II) is those fitting me best.
    I would like to state other mods enhances AI also naming a few: aTweaks, BP, Ascension, Rogue Rebalancing and to a degree Spell Revision.

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I prefer SCSII, but sometimes the difficulty of magic encounters gets to be a bit high for me. I mean... it almost makes playing the game into a chore, since enemy mages become so much more dangerous and difficult to deal with. Its not unfair, at all, its completely within the rules of the game, but sometimes it makes me reload too often!

What I like about SCSII is that it standardizes and fixes a whole bunch of stuff, so you dont have crazy stuff like lawful good demons etc.

Nykidemus likes this.
  11. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^
    Well said. The moment it becomes a chore the moment you'll loose the fun out of the challenge.

Nykidemus likes this.
  12. Amnasty Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

SCS2 is perhaps the mod with the word of mouth that's recommended to hardcore difficulty seekers. I have tried to play this mod over 10 times but it creates a lot of problems like, stutter every 5-6 mins for seconds or so, crap load of slow down at certain parts esp. tob and random crashes despite the best rig and Win XP installed and so have stopped playing till the maker changes the program installer or makes some changes to still rough parts :(

I also felt the engine or the EXE it uses is not at all friendly with the program compared to weiDU.

Otherwise it's a nice little mod which you can install as per what suits you in difficulty and scale.

13. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Amnasty, SCSII is a huge mod that almost certainly overloads the override folder, which can cause the problems you are experiencing. I recommend you use this, which is a mod that "biff"s the files in the override folder to the data folder, which helps the game run more smoothly and quickly. Take care to read the documentation for it though, and if you want to change which mods are installed you will need to unbiff the files first.

14. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have all of them installed in my new megamod. I was really pleased by the gameplay offered by Imp. Anvil last time I played a megamod back in 2008 - despite having overpowered items, the IA enemies were quite challenging. Not entirely bug-free, but enough fun to pick up again.

The author unfortunately doesn't support his mod in a megamod of any kind, unfortunatley. There's no info on how to get it set up in any megamod, so I had to do some guesswork.

I was fortunate enough to have kept the old IA 4.2, a very old download of the mod. By the time I was playing it in 2008, it was already replaced online by 5.0, which rewrote existing spells, adding much more incompatibility to IA.

Now, I've set up the megamod exactly as BiG World Project recommends, with the exception that I added Imp. Anvil near the end. I still had to compensate for annoyances, like the absence of the Shield of Balduran, Cloak of Balduran and Cloak of Non-Detection, which IA deletes from the game. Thankfully there is override folder, for reintroducing the lost items. At least now I know why I could never find those items back in 2008!

I voted for IA, though I don't have any experiences of Improved Battles or SCSII yet to compare it with. But it definitely beats Tactics. I'm sure I'll love them all!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.