1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing as an evil party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Beren, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always play a good party whenever I play IWD2. Just can't help myself in that regard. But if anybody else ever plays an evil party, I'd like to hear about it.

1) Who were your party members and what were their builds?

2) Also, I think playing an evil party can be a bit of a roleplaying strain in IWD2, at least to my admittedly narrow experience with IWD2. I mean, can you see either Iselore or Lord Ulbrec saying, "Here come the saviors of the Ten Towns ..." when your group includes a Banite Priest in blood-covered spiked black armor and a Half-Orc Barbarian packing a nasty looking halberd. And what would be the motivations for going after Isair and Madae? But if you have perspectives to offer on this, go right ahead.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The game rewards you for being evil more so than being good. with that said i almost always have had a banite DG cleric in my party to reap the benefits of evil only items as well as the reward for a certain banite related quest. it is really strange that such a character(non human or banite) would oppose the legion seeing as they both serve bane. however there are several instances where this interaction comes into play into the form of interesting dialog at various instances in the game.

however evil, i don't go around slaughtering people as long as their death doesn't cause me a game over. i also don't accept the offer of a certain evil deity because it would not make sense no matter how evil the party.

3. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Wealth, fame, power and maybe revenge could be possible motivations for an evil group. The party is referred as mercenaries or sellswords in numerous occasions, so no problem there - they're in for personal gains. Besides, being evil doesn't necessarily mean killing innocents and eating babies for breakfast. By the way, there's a dialogue in Targos where the group is asked why they helped the city.

If I remember right, the Legion serves Bane's son more than Bane itself and the opposing Banites are some sort of heretics.

I don't remember playing an all-evil party myself, but one of my favorite characters was a LE fighter(4)/dreadmaster(x). I loved his dialogue choice before the final battle, "kneel before the black hand of Bane" or something like that. Very nice touch :cool:

Mati likes this.
  4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

All Evil parties are well rewarded in IWD2. Any build will work in the Vanilla game, it's too easy. I usually prefer no Multi-class if possible when playing this game in vanilla, making it more challenging. I usually use the following party or something similar.

Human Cleric(Bane) - Tank, Healer, Summoner, Intimidater and Party Leader
    Half-Orc Cleric(Tempus) or (Gruumsh) if you use mods. - Tank, Summoner and Healer
    Half-Orc Barbarian - Tank Tiefling Rogue - Locks/Traps, Bakcstabber, Monster Gatherer and Crossbowmen.
    Human Necromancer - The epitome of Evil - Summoner and Blaster
    Drow Bard - Buffer, alternate Speaker
    or instead of the Bard...
    Deep Gnome Monk - Tank, Spell-absorber, Monster Gatherer

I have also used an all Deep Gnome Party, which is tons of fun. Little, evil DGs runnnig around, SLOWLY wearing the enemey down while absorbing or dismissing the damage they are taking. Fun, but I find it a slower game all in all.

For something different, I have also tried an all Half-Orc Evil Partial Barbarian party. It was weaker in Arcane Magic, but a Melee monster.

Fig(4)/Barb
    Barb(1)/Cleric(Tempus)
    Barb(1)/Cleric(Tempus)
    Barb(1)/Sorcerer
    Barb(1)/Wizard
    Rogue(5)/Barb

As for coming up with a reason for the party to exist/be in Targos, that is simple. Any reason will work. For the Gold and Treasure is the first thing that pops into my head. I am sure Ulbrec wouldn't mind that 6 Evil Half-Orcs save his town. Beats a Goblin Axe in the head any day. Kuldahar is under siege when you get there, so the saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend..." goes without saying. The inital reason could be the gold/loot, but as they get dragged in, it could be revenge on the twins.

Mati likes this.
  5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There is a Drow later on in the game which tells you quite simply why an evil party would be willing to take down the legion. Many typically evil races and individuals will have a sense of purity of purpose, for the Drow this includes perfection of the race, developing a society of mongrels means the strengths are few and the weaknesses plenty. Tieflings might resent the demeaning of both fiendish and mortal parent races but overall they are individuals more than a society.

Elves, Humans, Dwarves, all would probably have a sense of foreboding when it comes to the prospect of being forced into a relationship of an external species just to make things interesting, given that dwarves are notoriously hard to cross breed they may become second class citizens in a world of mongrels, humans may feel taken advantage of as in most situations "half" means "human X hybrid" in D&D, Elves probably just think it's icky.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You could say that the reason why your evil little group was sent off to Icewind Dale in the first place was because of something that happened in Luskan (the PC and co. are Luskanites, iirc).

Anything is possible it comes to backstories involving Luskan. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.