1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A cool way to boost all your stats!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] If you want to boost some of your stats a great deal. Play through the game untill you get into where you have to take the test and get the tears, then get all the tears you want(the ones that give boosts to the stats you want). Once you have all the tears, save your game. Give them to the character(s) you want to improve, and put them all in the door. Then pause it as soon as the movie thing ends. Export all your characters,load your game, and import the characters you just exported, then do it again. You can do this as many times as you want to majorly boost your characters stats. HAVE FUN!!!

Note: It might be a good idea to back up your characters before trying this.

[ March 13, 2003, 12:45: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Or you can use shadowkeeper becouse that is as much fun. If you have to cheat do it right.

3. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yea if I was gonna cheat I would much rather just use ShadowKeeper and do it once than having to save, reload, save, and reload a bajillion times, heh.

4. Kowalski Gems: 2/31

Well, i use to think that there's a difference between in-game glitches and utilities such as shadowkeeper. I mean, doing the sell-steal-sell trick 75 times feels better than just adding numbers in the shadowkeeper. If i'm playing with a serious party (like "really-playing-the-game") i wouldnt use any type of cheat, not even glitches, but when i fool around with an homemade evil party for fun i may allow myself to do just that. Duping items by export-import however (wich, of course, can be done with all items), should without question count as a cheat and nothing less. (IMO Duping and shadowkeeping ruins the game instantly, i mean why should i struggle to get all those fancy items and that longed for exp. when i can just alt-tab and change some numbers?)

5. RX2000 Gems: 2/31

Well, unless you are playing multiplayer, each individual person has the right to decide on their on what is and isnt cheating. I personally feel that stealing and selling back an item over and over is cheating, because it takes the fun out of the game for ME. If it doesnt take any fun from (or if it adds fun to) your game, then more power to ya.

6. Kowalski Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Let me rephrase: using glitches in the game is without doubt considered cheating by me, I would never do it when playing the game, only when i fool around for fun.

For me, the game looses its fun the very second I cheat in any way (including sell-steal-sell). However a very important aspect here, which of course has been said many times, is that everyone has their complete freedom to do whatever they want with their copy of Shadows of Amn, without having anyone explaining that that makes them bad gamers or that they use the game the wrong way.

7. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

The only time I cheated in BG games, was playing through the GOD-DAMNED MOTHER F*CKING sirenes, who were so bad, that after so many reloads, I put on my main character (Paladin) the Helm of Charisma Protection and beat them all... :)
    It was my first and last time after all...

8. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree with you about the game getting boring when you cheat. Because there's no challenge left and that's takes away the most fun part of the game.

9. gwenson Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Completely agree with you..
    but i personaly absolutely DON'T consider the sell-theft-resell thing as a cheat : this is a feature of ALL the well/intelligently/logically played rogues classes -one of their unique features and little "advantages of their own.. to compensate some other possible weaknesses comparatively to other *really* overpowerful classes that they are not.. :eek:

..moreover, to really use this feature you MUST think to it from the beginnings, like for exemple "waste" deliberately points in "thief" skills in your thief.. at the disadvantage of other very useful possible skills.. especially at low levels: this is a STRATEGY, a choice so, not a hazard, and this required very precised and determined actions/conditions:
    - have a good thief specialized TOO in.. theft(!) : NOT the easiest always.. and evidently, if you only play other "standards" uberclasses like kenzai/mage or bersecker/cleric, and never have thought or found the utility of TRUE thieves that can specialized even in this, this is for you a complete "novelty"!.. but this IS D&D!
    - find adequate and VERY special storekeepers/sellers...
    - use master thieving potions logically and very specifically..

All this IS D&D rules and logical ones!
    but this is too FIRSt of all a strategy imo!.. this depends the character you play! And this is evidently the kingdom of the thieves and bards (some bards at least, like the standard ones or.. BLADES.. maybe JESTERS too..), no one else!
    IF your main character is one of those.. this IS one of your logical possibilities..

No ? ;)

nb:
    evidently, you could always hire JAN only for this ONCE, and uberdopped/equiped cheesily like this, thanks to him, your main char that is NOT a thief.. sigh. But i mainly talk here when your main char is a rogue.. not at all the same in my book. If you just hire JAN, uberboost him with 4/5 mastery thief potions (sigh..), do the thing, and then fired him just after this.. well, yes, here, this is really not the same.. at this moment, the people doing this should just use Shadowkeeper and put an astronomical easy amount of money _this takes not even 15s then.._ and that's all.. sigh. But not my spirit either, so.. personally. I agree with you for those cases.. :rolleyes: ;)

10. Kowalski Gems: 2/31

I think maybe the best way to draw a line between cheating and not, is to imagine what would be possible in the story. I mean, there are few classic stories of people killing dragons simply by walking up to the beast and cutting his head off. There's always some sort of cunning trick (like using its vanity to fool it into a trap, hiding to get a spot at the heart aso). Sending an agile thief in to set a couple of traps would actually sound quite good in an epic story, while "...Sigfried bought the staff of Rynn, then stole it back, then he bought it again, and stole it back..." wouldn't.

11. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Gwenson... Don't you think that a shopkeeper would get a bit suspicious when he realizes that he have put the mace you're just selling him in his chest seven times.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hardly surpriseing shopkeepers have an intelligence of 9 :rolling:

not on shadowkeeper - it eventually wrecks the game if used too much. Creates more bugs.

Another way to boost stats is to import your character from BG1 - after you've used al lthe books and everything. Use maximum stat rolls in creation and look out for all the bonuses as you play.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Plese take note of the following questions
    (1)Why did you buy the game?
    (2) why do continue to play the game?
    (3) What is so great about the game that makes you want to discuss it with others?

the answere to all three is to have FUN
    Being somewhat morrally challenged I find the game more fun if I power game it on the easiest difficulty setting (I mean your the son of a god!!!).
    Some of my friends have a moral dillema with the cheating aspect but dont mind "time saving tecniques" such as the CTRL + SHIFT + 8 in the CHAR generation page, or the CTRL + J warping feature.
    I do however agree that taking advantage of the glitches in the game is less morrally incorrect than CLUAConsole ing or SK it, but I accept that to some (or most) people that it is cheating

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.