1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you dread social eating?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    At home, I start off with a yogurt for breakfast. A fruit salad for lunch, sometimes with a little low-fat cream, sometimes with a can of coconut milk (which recent studies show is actually pretty healthy). Then I cook out of vegetarian cookbooks during the weekdays, saving my meat recipes for the weekend.

Thing is, I'm paying for this myself, but I'm also in control of what I eat.

Thus, I'm ambivalent on a certain level about eating out on a social occasion, like a board of directors meeting, or an honorary dinner, that kind of thing. Part of me thinks I'll save a bit on the grocery bill.

But the other part dreads the prospect of what I'm going to eat. I can't even begin to think of all the calories, fat, salt, etc. that's waiting on that plate. And yet ... there it is in front of me ...

Just by way of illustration, Splunge and myself sit on the same board of directors for a non-profit organization. Pizza is usually the complementary meal while we're having our meeting. To make a long story short, we had to have a series of meetings over a period of about 2 months, often shortly spaced apart, because so many things that needed our attention came up. It got to the point where our chair just said, "That's it! No more pizza!", and decided to get wraps. Since then, every once in a while a board member will gently rib her with a suggestion of pizza for the next meeting as an inside joke. Yet her point was taken at some level by the rest of us.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um - you guys ARE the directors, so, um, you're the bosses, so, um, can't you just order whatever the hell you want?? Who are you blaming here?

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good point. But still ...

I guess if its kept to a minimum, anybody should be able to soak up the occasional indulgence.

It was this past frequency though that made me think a little.

I wasn't so much blaming anybody, as ... there's just kind of a social convention attached to this kind of thing, ya know? :)

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't like eating in public. Or in fact in front of people at all really.

I often get annoyed by the company I eat with if nothing else. Most of the time it's guys who insist anything vegetarian is "rabbit ****" or a mixed group who picks fun at me as I don't eat a lot in one sitting.

I have to be careful what I eat at the best of times but the hassle of service in public venues and often the obtuse lack of consideration from the company I'm with makes it more something to be dreaded than enjoyed.

5. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Pizza is one of the harder ones to deal with, but most of the time you can modulate how much you eat. My workplace (IT department of a college) goes more for potlucks, so it's pretty easy to only take a bite or two of any given dish.
    On the (very rare) occasion that someone comments about how little I eat, I respond with "fist sized stomach, you know." I've never gotten a retort from that one.

6. Nykidemus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I usually get "Jesus Christ man, leave some for everyone else!"

That's not much fun either.

LKD likes this.
  7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Eh? Good company, good food and good drinks. There are a few things in this life that are better. So yeah I enjoy social eating and do it quite often. Social eating in bad company can be a serious pain though but luckily enough I haven't been forced to any of that in quite a while. The social eating I do rarely involves anything like pizza and is usually a balanced meal so it does not deviate all too much from the food I make myself.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    1: Do not run to the food first.
    2: Make sure that one person has more on his or hers plate.
    3: Go with groups for the next rounds so no one will see you go an extra one, or alone.
    4: Do stack the food high, not to the edges of the plate.
    5: Bear in mind what you drink. Mix it up with water, and not to much.
    6: Beware table seating. Avoid overweight persons in case of double exposure. make triple sure that the way to the food is easy. If you have you walk around, or bother people, you get noticed.
    7: Skip lunch.
    8: A balance day follows an extravaganza. Eat 8 people type food on that day.
    9: Clean shirt in case of stains.
    10: No bulk of one food-type. Eating must be enjoyed like a true Sharessian.
    11: Deicide between or eat or drink. never both at the same time.

Conclusion: No, no problems. I can eat almost anything but try different things at such outings.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, you could try not eating for two! :p

Kidding aside, I try to have a balanced diet. So if I know there's going to be someting like pizza for dinner (such as at the aforementioned Board meetings), I'll try to make sure I have a salad for lunch, and limit my pizza intake at dinner to 2-3 slices.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm just stunned that Splunge and Beren know each other in real life. I feel like somehow I should have known this.

As to social eating, I have no problem with it and I have to do it quite often.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Off-topic, but Beren moved to Winnipeg a couple of years or so ago. He knew I sat on the board of a non-profit organization that deals in an area he is very interested in, so he contacted me by PM to express his interest in joining the Board. It was at that point that we met IRL. I don't know if anyone at SP knew about this before now.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I only dread social eating in some area of South America, Africa and Papau New Guinea.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't like it because it seems every time I get dressed up in my nicest clothes, that's the one time in a million that I also spill something on myself. I hate being clumsy!

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Right on Morgoroth! I greatly enjoy going out to eat with friends, eating at a friends house or having friends over to eat. I try not to order anything with sauce though. Pizza is ok, but if at a restaurant with others, no sauce as I guarantee I will get it on my shirt somehow or another. Especially if we are drinkng as well.

On the flip side, eating with some of my wife's family can be tough. they are very picky and take offense at anything. And are very quick to point out the mistakes of others. I hate those dinners as I have to bite my tongue. Some of their opinions are completely off the wall. Though I am sure it's not heir fault that they are uncultured mid-westerners...:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.